Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DrunkCargo
I am pretty close-in here (new flight leaves in 3 hours, considered "international"). If they're selling the new routing I want online (clearly have inventory) is that a pretty good indicator it is not a broken fare?
No. Broken fares are when the actual underlying fares are AAA-BBB and BBB-CCC rather than a single through fare AAA-CCC.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:21 pm

I recently had 2 twitter staff tell me that I cannot change from AAA-CCC to AAA-BBB-CCC after I had some meetings cancellation.
It was a single conversation but 2 different staff attended to my questions.
By connecting at BBB, I will actually reach my destination 3 hours early but I do have to reach the airport way earlier too which was fine vs laying in the hotel bed until late morning. The original booking class are still available.
Eventually, while working on something else, the 3rd staff who attended to my tweet informed me that the history logs shows I was given bad information on the earlier question and offered to help.
While the original (intended) flight were still available, I had no way to reach the airport in time.
Fortunately there were other connecting flights and I can still reach my destination around 1˝ hours ahead of the original itinerary so I will still save some time.
I literally saw the tweet, agreed to the changes, cramp the clothes into the luggage, got into the rental, pump petrol, returned rental and dashed to the airport.

To the 1st 2 agents, I am honestly curious how familiar they are with the program rules and are employees evaluated on their work related knowledge?
To the 3rd agent, I would only say this was an amazing show of good service and excellent training.
The 3rd agent could just have assisted with my latest request - (un) check-in myself to get a buy-up offer.
He / she was not handling the flight change question but nonetheless took time to looked through the history, spotted some issues and offered to help.

Of course if I was staying further away from the airport, this was not an early in the day traffic, or if I did not have a rental and instead had scheduled an airport transfer, the last minute offer to help would not have resulted in anything but my experience demonstrates that there are badly trained staff and there are also great and professional staff in Delta.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I need to vent: This whole thing with doing a SDC after an RUC/GUC has cleared (with the tix reissued) is getting to be ridiculous. I cleared from JFK-LAX on a later flight, but my inbound flight to JFK arrived earlier. There was one J seat left on the earlier flight to LAX. I called the DM desk to do a SDC into J. She insisted that the policy was that I would need the same fare class available. She could waitlist me using my RUC. I insisted that wasn't the policy. I eventually hung up and called back. The next DM agent said that the later flight was available--I quickly corrected her and asked for the earlier flight. At that point, the last J seat was taken. Ugh, it's so frustrating to follow the rules that DL has established, only then to be told that it's something else--even though it's INCORRECT! I'm beyond annoyed that DM agents don't even know the guidelines of how to handle this.
jamesteroh and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I need to vent
I feel your pain. Exact same thing happened to me. I wish they would include this in the text of the SDC rules on DL dot com so that we could point the agents to their own website!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
What about SDC on a ticket where the two segments are different fare buckets? I have a trip upcoming (SEA-MSP-MCI) where the SEA-MSP is fare category A and MSP-MCI is fare category V. I've found a SEA-SLC-MCI flight that works better, but will the SLC-MCI segment have to have V fare availability?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond
It sounds like you have a mixed cabin itinerary. Perhaps you bought a first-class ticket on an itinerary where the connecting flight is a smaller aircraft with only one class of service? I have successfully SDCed in this situation according to the first class rules. I have been forced to HUCA on occasion, however.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
How rigidly is the new (as of mid-november 2017) rule regarding D1 vs FC SDCs enforced? Has anyone had any luck since mid-Nov changing from flights originally booked in standard F to a set of flights including a Delta One segment?

I currently have LAX-SLC-JFK-BOS. Hoping to change to either LAX-JFK-BOS or LAX-BOS, with the segments being in D1.

I understand this is, by the letter of the rule, not allowed. But as we all know, what's not allowed is sometimes a grey area that varies based on circumstance, status, and agent courtesy. What I'm asking is if this new-ish rule is a hard-and-fast "absolutely not" rule, or alternatively whether its something that you shouldn't expect to happen but can happen on occasion with an unusually accommodating agent.

FWIW, I've had this occur during IROPS recently, where the online tool offered me ORD-JFK-SFO (or maybe it was ORD-JFK-LAX) with the second segment in D1. But outside of IROPS, what's the likelihood of succeeding here -- assuming the new routing is reasonable (which it is; it's not backtracking or zig-zagging across the US) but not explicitly endorsed by routing rules.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by anon2k2
What about SDC on a ticket where the two segments are different fare buckets? I have a trip upcoming (SEA-MSP-MCI) where the SEA-MSP is fare category A and MSP-MCI is fare category V. I've found a SEA-SLC-MCI flight that works better, but will the SLC-MCI segment have to have V fare availability?
Did you purchase the ticket this way or later buyan upgrade into FC on one segment only?

It sounds to me like you have a broken fare, which according to the rules would mean that you must travel through MSP on any SDC, unless of course there's a weather waiver for another spring snow storm.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: SPG, DL
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
How rigidly is the new (as of mid-november 2017) rule regarding D1 vs FC SDCs enforced? Has anyone had any luck since mid-Nov changing from flights originally booked in standard F to a set of flights including a Delta One segment?

I currently have LAX-SLC-JFK-BOS. Hoping to change to either LAX-JFK-BOS or LAX-BOS, with the segments being in D1.
You won't get on the direct for sure. Violates 2 rules. YMMV on the D1. You can try but don't be shocked when it doesn't work.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
FWIW, I've had this occur during IROPS recently...
In IROPS, Delta's willingness to ignore fare rules expands exponentially. I don't see them ignoring the No connection to a non-stop rule, let alone the Delta One rule, but it takes little effort on your part to ask.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
You won't get on the direct for sure. Violates 2 rules. YMMV on the D1. You can try but don't be shocked when it doesn't work.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
In IROPS, Delta's willingness to ignore fare rules expands exponentially. I don't see them ignoring the No connection to a non-stop rule, let alone the Delta One rule, but it takes little effort on your part to ask.
+1 to both of these.

IME, DL is actually pretty strict about the "no connection to non-stop" rule for SDC. I'm not sure we have enough data points on the D1 rule, but the fact that it specifically exists and was added after the fact tells me that DL wants its agents paying attention to it.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ATLawyer
Also LAX-BOS is not D1. SFO-BOS is. LAX unless I missed an announcement never got D1 to BOS.

Getting LAX-SFO-BOS to me seems more likely as not sure how many agents realize SFO/BOS is D1.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Also LAX-BOS is not D1. SFO-BOS is. LAX unless I missed an announcement never got D1 to BOS.

Getting LAX-SFO-BOS to me seems more likely as not sure how many agents realize SFO/BOS is D1.
Two of the LAX-BOS flights became D1 (full D1 service, not just aircraft) on 4/1 along with select other JFK-SAN/SEA/LAS flights.

https://news.delta.com/delta-one-ser...mestic-markets
Old Apr 5, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Wiki states:
There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.
Has anyone actually had any luck getting the companion fee waived?
I was recently on a FC ticket with a companion, same PNR, and they charged $75 for him (I'm Gold), which I thought was ridiculous.
AA doesn't charge any FC fares the SDC fee. (They also waive the fees for any companions in the record, although CFC is only waived at the 75k+ elite level, though standby is free for lower elites.)
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
The Wiki states:
There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.
Has anyone actually had any luck getting the companion fee waived?
I was recently on a FC ticket with a companion, same PNR, and they charged $75 for him (I'm Gold), which I thought was ridiculous.
AA doesn't charge any FC fares the SDC fee. (They also waive the fees for any companions in the record, although CFC is only waived at the 75k+ elite level, though standby is free for lower elites.)
Yes. I've recently done a SDC with a companion multiple times and they didn't even mention the fee.

They did bring it up once a few years back and the change took them over an hour to process, so this is the only time I requested the agent waive the fee (and he did).

I find going to the reissue desk they don't charge it at all because they rarely speak to DMs. They are usually so caught up in thanking me so much for all my business...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.