Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 10:24 am

Programs: DL DM, PC and MR Platinum
Originally Posted by davetravels
Thanks, new to the forum.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:40 am

I am rethinking my loyalty to DL based on this change. I have no problem making PM every year but decided to fly Dl exclusive to make DM. I have been DM for 2 years and am 25K away this year for 2014. That said i have opted out of many direct flights on other carriers for roughly the same fare. I have seen only slight improvements in service as a DM and the only real benefits are monetary. $Sky Club ($350 net) and 2 perks for a total of $450 plus bonus miles $250 a year. So about $1200 /year for being DM. The way i travel they will surely take most of that back in fees, so am i really doing the right thing? Or should i just make PM or GM and fly whoever is going to get me there in the shortest amount of time?
Old May 8, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I got a new one...this weekend I SDC'd to a different flight (had to use the old style because of the lack of inventory, fortunately it was booked before the change)

Had no issues with the transfer and was listed as #3 on the upgrade list with 9 seats available.

Am sitting at the gate and notice that numbers 1, 2, & 4 get upgraded, but not me. Obviously that makes me number 1 on the list. Few minutes later numbers 2-7 get upgraded and FlyAO2 remains at #1. Basically my upgrade was skipped and the next 6 people got upgraded.

Gate Agent had no idea what happened, nor seemed to care. Sent DL an email, they responded back with something that made no sense.

This is a new one for me.
I had identical experience last year in September. I was SDS for LAX to JFK red-eye. And also added to upg list. I was #1 on upg list. And three folks behind me were upgraded. I didn't get seat assignment until boarding was complete and given bulk head in Coach (obvious one of the UPG) At the time I think my ticket wasn't reissued for the change so the system didn't automatically book it and the GA indicated I can board to the seat but she needs to work on my ticket while I'm up in the air.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyRod
I am rethinking my loyalty to DL based on this change. I have no problem making PM every year but decided to fly Dl exclusive to make DM. I have been DM for 2 years and am 25K away this year for 2014. That said i have opted out of many direct flights on other carriers for roughly the same fare. I have seen only slight improvements in service as a DM and the only real benefits are monetary. $Sky Club ($350 net) and 2 perks for a total of $450 plus bonus miles $250 a year. So about $1200 /year for being DM. The way i travel they will surely take most of that back in fees, so am i really doing the right thing? Or should i just make PM or GM and fly whoever is going to get me there in the shortest amount of time?
For me, I don't need DM to get into SCs, so the calculation would be even lower (I'm assuming you take the $200 DL gift card and 25,000 bonus redeemable miles as your DM choice benefits), but I'm not sure how I should assess the SWUs that I use on expensive fares. Positive or negative on net? I pick them and could just throw them away, so I guess it must be positive.

However, getting better IROPs handling and other considerations when there are issues might well be priceless. DL sometimes delights me with certain unpublished benefits and I suspect DMs are much more likely to enjoy this treatment than PMs.

However, I suspect that this depends at least partly on some secret customer value score, perhaps inherited and tweaked from the reputed NW seven levels of PE. (Last year I used some award tickets rather than purchasing expensive fares and I suspect that my MQDs would have been a bit under $12,500, but I hit $12,500 already this year and my average should be no problem for DL. It seemed to me that I was being treated somewhat less well than usual earlier this year, but it improved perceptively around when I hit the MQD taget. Paranoid? Possibly. BTW, I'm exempt from MQD due to AmEx anyway, but that doesn't mean that DL won't nevertheless use MQD to score even exempt elites, either now or later. For the record, I'm sympathetic to DL's need/desire to impose MQD requirements. It's a transparent way to thin the ranks, IMO much better than reverting to an unpublished super level.)
Old May 8, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I had identical experience last year in September. I was SDS for LAX to JFK red-eye. And also added to upg list. I was #1 on upg list. And three folks behind me were upgraded. I didn't get seat assignment until boarding was complete and given bulk head in Coach (obvious one of the UPG) At the time I think my ticket wasn't reissued for the change so the system didn't automatically book it and the GA indicated I can board to the seat but she needs to work on my ticket while I'm up in the air.
I assume you were not on a paid FC GAP fare? If you purchased coach and were SDS, you should not have been on the upgrade list before being confirmed onto the flight.

However, could SDS automatically list elites as standby for both cabins, meaning that if at the end there's an empty FC seat but no empty coach seats to confirm, the elite is put into the FC seat? Does anyone know?
Old May 8, 2013, 11:43 am

However, getting better IROPs handling and other considerations when there are issues might well be priceless. DL sometimes delights me with certain unpublished benefits and I suspect DMs are much more likely to enjoy this treatment than PMs.

I agree it is nice to have my problems sorted while walking past a cattle line to the skyclub. Or before the delayed flight even reaches the gate. I too have noticed the bump up in responsiveness as a DM

However, I suspect that this depends at least partly on some secret customer value score, perhaps inherited and tweaked from the reputed NW seven levels of PE. (Last year I used some award tickets rather than purchasing expensive fares and I suspect that my MQDs would have been a bit under $12,500, but I hit $12,500 already this year and my average should be no problem for DL. It seemed to me that I was being treated somewhat less well than usual earlier this year, but it improved perceptively around when I hit the MQD taget. Paranoid? Possibly. BTW, I'm exempt from MQD due to AmEx anyway, but that doesn't mean that DL won't nevertheless use MQD to score even exempt elites, either now or later. For the record, I'm sympathetic to DL's need/desire to impose MQD requirements. It's a transparent way to thin the ranks, IMO much better than reverting to an unpublished super level.)[/QUOTE]

I would say that i am just under that for the year personally but i own a consulting firm and have two PM and one other DM so my Skybonus account is doing well. I would say as a company i am at $30K for the year. I am sure they consider the MQD no mater what your status. But they may need to consider SB as well.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I assume you were not on a paid FC GAP fare? If you purchased coach and were SDS, you should not have been on the upgrade list before being confirmed onto the flight.

However, could SDS automatically list elites as standby for both cabins, meaning that if at the end there's an empty FC seat but no empty coach seats to confirm, the elite is put into the FC seat? Does anyone know?
Prior to this new policy the GA would clear all UG then confirm you on the flight. Therefore, you would never show on the UG list. Not sure how they were on the list at all???

I was on a flight earlier this year where I was SDS and there was one FC seat left and they were about to close the door. I had an A class ticket and the GA went on the plane and got the next person on the UG list and moved them up and put me in coach. Needless to say i called DL and they gave me some miles but that was crazy.

Last edited by FlyRod; May 8, 2013 at 11:55 am
Old May 8, 2013, 12:34 pm

Programs: Nada!
I understand the risks. If the weather is bad, I'll pay the fee or take my original flight.
Old May 8, 2013, 1:50 pm

Prior to this new policy the GA would clear all UG then confirm you on the flight. Therefore, you would never show on the UG list. Not sure how they were on the list at all???

I was on a flight earlier this year where I was SDS and there was one FC seat left and they were about to close the door. I had an A class ticket and the GA went on the plane and got the next person on the UG list and moved them up and put me in coach. Needless to say i called DL and they gave me some miles but that was crazy.
Why weren't you standby for FC?
Old May 8, 2013, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why weren't you standby for FC?
Because A is an "Up-fare", DL explains that this is a coach ticket which is upgraded to first at the time of purchase. Therefore, they put you in coach. The whole "up-fare" is a scam> DL misleads you into thinking you bought a FC ticket, when you are really buying a coach ticket and paying a fee to upgrade that ticket and the upgrade is nontransferable when you do SDC or SDS. Most DM agents would honor the class if you did SDC but the GA's were more reluctant. I think it was because the perceive DM as gamers taking all of the upgrades.

This issue should be taken care of now if the GA clears standbys prior to upgrades. However it will create more resentment when DM do SDS and people on the UG list watch the list grow at the last minute.
Old May 8, 2013, 4:46 pm

A couple weeks ago I SDCed an A fare directly into FC on both segments with no issues. It was purchased under the old rules, I called inside of three hours, and EF showed A1 on both segments when I looked. However, it seemed to take an awfully long time on the phone; I suspect a supervisor or help line was called more than once.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
Because A is an "Up-fare", DL explains that this is a coach ticket which is upgraded to first at the time of purchase. Therefore, they put you in coach. The whole "up-fare" is a scam> DL misleads you into thinking you bought a FC ticket, when you are really buying a coach ticket and paying a fee to upgrade that ticket and the upgrade is nontransferable when you do SDC or SDS. Most DM agents would honor the class if you did SDC but the GA's were more reluctant. I think it was because the perceive DM as gamers taking all of the upgrades.

This issue should be taken care of now if the GA clears standbys prior to upgrades. However it will create more resentment when DM do SDS and people on the UG list watch the list grow at the last minute.
There are some odd nuances with this. It will also depend on if you purchased a fare with UP in the code or just a plain coach that can be upgraded with a fee.

Let's say you buy HA07UPSL. This is a coach ticket that auto upgrades typically if there is A available. If you move flights and there is no A, then as you've said you are stuck on a coach ticket. This is actually what happens when you buy full Y as a medallion, it has that UP clause written in, given you are medallion. However, I think it's linked to RU.

Now the other one I talked about would show up like this: QA07ATNJ/WNUP

This is also a coach fare that is discounted and linked to A. However, if I remember correctly it only upgrades at time of purchase as you are paying a fare difference. The H fare above I think can always be moved as long as A is available. I'm fairly confident this Q will stick as a coach fare on day of departure - but I'm not 100% sure.
Old May 8, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL, SPG
So go to the full fare rules, it appears to have the info there.

ATLMSP-DL 8MAY13 *RULE DISPLAY* TARIFF 0191 RULE EC99
-FARE BASIS USD TAX TOTAL PTC FT
QA07ATNJ/WNUP 403.72 30.28 434.00 ADT NL
BOOKING CODES A Q I
PFCS MAY VARY BY RTG
INDUSTRY FARE TYPE - SIP - INSTANT PURCHASE
FIRST TRAVEL -16AUG06

APPLICATION
CLASS OF SERVICE
THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE.
CAPACITY LIMITATIONS
PLEASE NOTE-
BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES
MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING.

SAME DAY CONFIRM/SDC -
PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND
TICKETS MAY CONFIRM EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY
FLIGHTS BETWEEN SAME ORIGIN/DESTINATION/
STOPOVER POINTS FOR A NON-REFUNDABLE FEE OF
USD 50.00 PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN GOVERNMENT
IMPOSED ITINERARY BASED FEES. NEW ITINERARY
MAY NOT BE CONFIRMED MORE THAN 3 HOURS PRIOR
TO DEPARTURE TIME OF NEW OUTBOUND FLIGHT. THE
NEW ITINERARY MUST BE VALID FOR THE ORIGINAL
FARE PURCHASED.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32
There are some odd nuances with this. It will also depend on if you purchased a fare with UP in the code or just a plain coach that can be upgraded with a fee.

Let's say you buy HA07UPSL. This is a coach ticket that auto upgrades typically if there is A available. If you move flights and there is no A, then as you've said you are stuck on a coach ticket. This is actually what happens when you buy full Y as a medallion, it has that UP clause written in, given you are medallion. However, I think it's linked to RU.

This is also a coach fare that is discounted and linked to A. However, if I remember correctly it only upgrades at time of purchase as you are paying a fare difference. The H fare above I think can always be moved as long as A is available. I'm fairly confident this Q will stick as a coach fare on day of departure - but I'm not 100% sure.
AdamDunn32: You are one of my new respected posters. You know your stuff. Under both example fares above, I am concerned that under the new rules to do SDC you will need to have both the coach inventory bucket (H or Q in your example) and the first inventory bucket (e.g. P, A or G). Many times both buckets will not be available and the only option is SDS. I have no idea how UP fares are going to work for SDS and getting into the F cabin. Love to hear more actual reports .... Thanks
Old May 8, 2013, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by AdamDunn32

Do you mean that it will stick as FC in your last sentence?

Interesting. I hadn't noticed the two types of fare codes. This might explain why some post to FF accounts as GAP fares with the 50% class or service bonus while on others, the additional 50% is coded with a line referring to -UP fares.

However, my understanding of the Y fares is that some are Y-UP that upgrade for everyone if available. These are probably P fares. (In most markets, there are unrestricted/refundable P fares and cheaper restricted/nonrefundable P fares, sometimes more than one of each type, but the first are likely to be based on Y or B underlying fares while the latter category has lower underlying fare codes.) They would upgrade into P inventory if available. This is just the earlier and higher priority analogue or ordinary free upgrades.

The Y fares that are not Y-UPs, including YCA government fares, upgrade into OU or RU inventory at the time of purchase (or usually overnight for YCA fares if the ticket is issued before the normal elite window), or when inventory is released, but only if the passenger is an elite or the companion of an elite with a ticket on the same flight that was purchased with money--not an award or pay with miles ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.