Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
But I can see this happening more often though with the new rules, if - and that's biiiiiiiig IF - DL manages the same-day buckets in the manner that UA does.

Say for example, LUTXVE are not purchasable due to the fare restrictions, but K is, so DL may decide to put inventory in LUTXVE but not K, so as not to allow anyone to purchase at the K level.

I have no idea how easy this is to accomplish given the system limitations though, so who knows.
I can only look at my own experience, but on most of the flights that I am on, they are packed. And each time I have SDC'd, the only bucket available has generally been Y, maybe B (I know because I have looked at Expert Flyer). As many have said, this puts a practical end to SDC. Why they didn't exempt Diamonds, at least, is baffling.

With this and many other changes over the past 12 months, it seems as if Delta has started to lose its way.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
This is frustrating for a number of reasons, but key to me is how complicated it is. The beauty of Delta's current policy is its simplicity, but agents and customers are going to be spending a lot of time talking about fare buckets and interpretations of 3 hour windows from now on...
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Say for example, LUTXVE are not purchasable due to the fare restrictions, but K is, so DL may decide to put inventory in LUTXVE but not K, so as not to allow anyone to purchase at the K level.

I have no idea how easy this is to accomplish given the system limitations though, so who knows.
I believe that they are putting this in place as part of a larger IT implementation, in which they want to force your fare class to truly follow you through non-IRROPS reticketing changes like SDC

Reason being, they are about to make the lower fare classes (LUT and below) earn fewer MQMs.

I have no insider knowledge whatsoever, this is just my suspicion.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by kitkat77

I believe that they are putting this in place as part of a larger IT implementation, in which they want to force your fare class to truly follow you through non-IRROPS reticketing changes like SDC

Reason being, they are about to make the lower fare classes (LUT and below) earn fewer MQMs.

I have no insider knowledge whatsoever, this is just my suspicion.
I'm not sure if the two are related, but I also strongly suspect lower MQM earnings on lower fares is coming sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
No routing changes? $50 to change? That's one fee I will never pay.

NWA still got a lot more revenue out of me with the old FlyNow program - switch to the day before OR after for $25. SDC is a useless joke.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: DL, SPG
But I can see this happening more often though with the new rules, if - and that's biiiiiiiig IF - DL manages the same-day buckets in the manner that UA does.

Interesting point but fairly certain this can't be done. If it can, it would take a lot of management on DL's end.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by delanet
So this move seems to be designed to do the following

-Make people book the flights (times) they actually need, so that Delta can control prices more on the higher demand flights. No more booking Thursday or Friday morning Flights and taking later more expensive ones.

-Encouraging (screwing) people to book more expensive tickets because they will be the only ones able to SDC due to fare class restrictions.

-Encouraging (screwing) people into booking High level awards
I strongly suspect that the number of people who actually 'gamed' the system is extremely small. Sure you could take advantage by cheap redeye and then changing to a flight earlier in the afternoon, however its not likely that pax were booking a morning flight on a high demand day and then switching to an ultra-high demand flight. There is substantial risk of not getting on the flight there.

One outcome I can see happening is that pax will not book the more expensive flights they want, but rather go to another airline that has them cheaper... or delay purchasing until DL drops the price of the flights because they are empty.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow that didn't take long... I sent in a message to DL expressing my displeasure and issues with the change. Got a response in under an hour. I guess they had the canned response all set and ready to hit the 'SDC complaint reply' button. Of course it didn't address in any way anything that I said in my complaint email.

Thank you for contacting us through delta.com.

We apologize for your disappointment with the recently announced changes
to the Same Day standby program. After reading your remarks, we
certainly understand your frustration. We understand that your schedule
can change and that flexibility is important. These changes will allow
us to better estimate flight changes by our customers and expand the
window of when Same Day confirmed can be requested.

Same Day Confirmed changes may now be requested at any time prior to
ticketed departure on the day of travel. Previously, changes had to be
requested within three hours of the new departure time. These changes
expand the window of when Same Day Confirmed can be requested. To enable
this improved flexibility, the same booking class as your original
ticket must now also be available to make a same-day confirmed change
(e.g. Q, K, L or U).

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may change to a flight
three hours before or after their ticketed flight departure time to
receive a Same Day Confirmed change fee waiver.

Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion members may continue to stand by
free of charge for flights outside of the complimentary window or when
their booking class is not available.

All other customers now also have the option to stand by for an earlier
flight and will be charged $50 only if confirmed and received a seat
assignment.

For more information, please visit the link below:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html

We appreciate your Diamond Medallion status with us and thank you for
giving Delta the opportunity to serve your travel needs.

Sincerely,
Medallion Desk
www.delta.com
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by rylan
Wow that didn't take long... I sent in a message to DL expressing my displeasure and issues with the change. Got a response in under an hour. I guess they had the canned response all set and ready to hit the 'SDC complaint reply' button. Of course it didn't address in any way anything that I said in my complaint email.
Reminds me of the justification for the 72 hour rule for award tickets.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah... in other words claim it'll actually be an improvement yet evidence will show availability decreased.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
One outcome I can see happening is that pax will not book the more expensive flights they want, but rather go to another airline that has them cheaper... or delay purchasing until DL drops the price of the flights because they are empty.
Yup couldnt agree more. Its certainly what I did.

DL I actually really liked flying on you. But I didnt feel I could trust you and if you dont think thats a huge problem then there is no hope.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM
I think DL is counting on a different response
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
this is great news for many on here. Finally, you can all sleep again! LOL.

So, another change made by DL with all the DL faithful once again saying they are going to leave and go to AA, UA, Jetblue....whatever. As you can see, all the people that 'left' to go elsewhere really hasn't mattered much to DL. They are still making money, more so now then ever. So, please, stop the complaining, hit the 'eject' button and be gone.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I suggest since they refuse to answer our questions (another fly by posting from DL) then we should all email them (don't call as we all know they don't give the correct answer and at least we will have a paper trail) our questions, until they do have the courtesy to come here and answer our questions.

It amazes me how a business can just not give a $.... about how their customers feel and can do a bait and switch by changing fare rules after purchase and get a way with it.

yes, as a business they can do what they want, but to not expect some sort of backlash is very naive.

I have cut my travel on Delta about 40% so far this year. All of these changes have just made me decide to look elsewhere after being loyal to DL and before that NW for so many years.I am DM for next year already, also have no problem with the spend requirements as I spend that anyway, but it really means very little to me anymore, I will fly to fly but my airline of choice will now be the cheapest flight and 90% of the time it won't be on Delta. That extra leg space and the free drink really is not worth giving my money to a company that I no longer respect.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott Platinum,Avis First
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I can only look at my own experience, but on most of the flights that I am on, they are packed. And each time I have SDC'd, the only bucket available has generally been Y, maybe B (I know because I have looked at Expert Flyer). As many have said, this puts a practical end to SDC. Why they didn't exempt Diamonds, at least, is baffling.

With this and many other changes over the past 12 months, it seems as if Delta has started to lose its way.
As a DM who does fly Delta for business 99% of the time this kills SDC and makes me consider flying more on the other airline I have status on. The main benefit to SDC to me was if I got done early on Friday I could fly home and spend a little extra time with my family, but on Friday almost no flights are going to have the same bucket available as if I book 2 weeks out. What is really sad is until this point I could say Delta knew how to treat it's premium customers better than others.

What puzzles me the most is when I have spoken to the leadership at DL they all speak about understanding the value of time at home, etc, but just made it harder for me to get said time.

Thanks for the memories DL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.