Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by golfr
interesting. I'll def check out the website next time.
I've never done a SDC on the website, but if you call in you can absolutely change to later flights that are more than 24 hours from departure as long as the current flight is within 24hours.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM
The few times I tried to sds/sdc via calling were disasters. Will take my chances with either the app or the web.

Last edited by golfr; Aug 8, 2022 at 12:51 pm
Old Aug 8, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
The number of permitted transfers is only one aspect of the fare rules; the routing table is another. You have to satisfy both criteria.

That being said, agents often ignore the routing rules when processing a SDC, so that's unlikely to be a major stumbling block; more likely is that some agents have the idea that you can't change the number of connections when doing an SDC. You _are_ permitted to _add_ connections, but you may have to push on that or HUCA.
You also can subtract, just can't change to nonstop if booked connection.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
Same fare I can find several flights that connect in ATL and DTW but can't find them listed ATL and LGA or JFK.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Confirmed RUC SDC just drove me crazy.

Spent an hour and every call agent said I need to be on the waitlist again.

This almost makes me feel like I'm wrong. Am I wrong that cleared RUC SDC just need an F seat?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm 1-for-4 in recent tries with agents to SDC from OL onto a flight that is Z0. The app does not permit it.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I've never done a SDC on the website, but if you call in you can absolutely change to later flights that are more than 24 hours from departure as long as the current flight is within 24hours.
Perhaps, but you may have to pay a difference in fares.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 10:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Perhaps, but you may have to pay a difference in fares.
Not if SDC is available: "You may request a same-day flight change within 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however, changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure"
Old Aug 19, 2022, 8:39 am

Not if SDC is available: "You may request a same-day flight change within 24 hours prior to the departure time of your original flight; however, changes are limited to flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure"
Yes. Thank you for the reference/clarification. I was responding to this:
if you call in you can absolutely change to later flights that are more than 24 hours from departure
Old Aug 19, 2022, 9:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Goodoldflyer
Yes. Thank you for the reference/clarification. I was responding to this:
I know. The point is, you can SDC to "flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure" which are more than 24 hours away. If I am booked on a 6am Monday flight, at 6am Sunday I can SDC to a flight that is at 10pm Monday, 40 hours away, without paying any fare difference.
findark and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 10:36 am

I know. The point is, you can SDC to "flights departing on the same day of ticketed departure" which are more than 24 hours away. If I am booked on a 6am Monday flight, at 6am Sunday I can SDC to a flight that is at 10pm Monday, 40 hours away, without paying any fare difference.
Great point.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Connecting Flight SDC

So bear with me as I booked my first ever connecting fligjt from SEA to JFK via LAX. I plan on flying SEA-LAX at noon getting to LAX around 2:30ish. The flight to JFK is within 2 hours but I'd like to push it back to the redeye so I get to NYC early morning. Wanna grab dinner with a few friends while I'm in LA. Are there any restrictions in situations like this? I would appreciate any feedback or insight.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 11:33 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
You cannot SDC to a flight more than 24 hours before its departure. The time must be within 24 hours or your scheduled flight AND your desired flight.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
You cannot SDC to a flight more than 24 hours before its departure. The time must be within 24 hours or your scheduled flight AND your desired flight.
This is how the app is programmed, but the rules are very clear that you only need to be within 24 hours of your originally scheduled flight's departure time. Agents can help you make a change to a later flight before the app will let you do it.
PanAmSam likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by The Mileage Millionaire
Incorrect. You can SDC to any flight on same day, no need to be within 24hrs of new flight. Thus why I always book earliest flight possible so can SDC to later flights before others.

UA (and I believe AA) foes require that be within 24hrs of new flight. DL however doesn't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.