Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Your ticket isn't reissued if you do a single segment upgrade. The fee doesn't technically transfer to new flight either, by rules you lose it.

You have to upgrade the whole direction of travel (the price that shows for "all segments ") to get SDC benefits.

Agents can of course offer things not by the book.
Old May 24, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
I wouldn't personally do this unless the new schedule were better for me. If you misconnect, you'll get rebooked anyway, so what are you trying to protect against? Is there some extremely high consequence if you misconnect?
Your ticket isn't reissued if you do a single segment upgrade. The fee doesn't technically transfer to new flight either, by rules you lose it.

You have to upgrade the whole direction of travel (the price that shows for "all segments ") to get SDC benefits.

Agents can of course offer things not by the book.
Thanks both for the advice, I am going to call today and see if I get something non-standard figured out with an agent, but I'll make it work. The reason I'm so anxious is that we foolishly booked a pre-planned tour for the day after arrival that leaves before a replacement for a misconnect. Now I'm trying to scramble to fix my initial bad planning!
Old May 28, 2021, 12:20 pm

Delta same day change confirmed.

I believe you can call delta to check same-day change. But can i call 24 hr before new changed flight instead of 24 hr before original flight?

I believe AA rule is 24 hr before new changed flight.

Wouldn't it unfair if u book a 8pm flight, but want to change to 6pm flight? First class seat in that 6pm flight could be gone within that golden 2 hour.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I believe you can call delta to check same-day change. But can i call 24 hr before new changed flight instead of 24 hr before original flight?

I believe AA rule is 24 hr before new changed flight.

Wouldn't it unfair if u book a 8pm flight, but want to change to 6pm flight? First class seat in that 6pm flight could be gone within that golden 2 hour.
It's 24 hours before the original flight. However, as you note, this creates some interesting strategic issues, namely that if one plans to SDC (to an expensive late afternoon flight, for instance), it's advantageous to purchase a ticket on the earliest viable flight of the day.

Some people here have reported flexibility for flights that are scheduled to leave shortly before or shortly after midnight, but I don't know what the rules on this are supposed to be.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:31 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I have had agents waive the rule for me before and do the change within 24 hours of the flight I was changing to, but they did note it was a special favor so I wouldn't count on it.

And as for it being unfair, I mean, in the example given, someone could also book the last first class seat at 5pm. Delta gets to set the rules of the game so what's fair is what they say is fair.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Change can't be made until 24 hour from your original flight. It's very clearly stated on the web site https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...-flight-change

Why would it be unfair? If you booked the original flight at a cheaper fare intending to change to an earlier flight, you rolled the dice. Sometimes you win and sometimes you don't. It's like an FO booking coach and hoping for an upgrade - WFBF

If you really want or need the earlier flight you can downgrade to Y and hope for C+ if F isn't available.
Old May 28, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also attempt to SDC online by first starting online check-in, and then selecting the "Change Flight" option. If you have already checked-in, you can repeat the process to get to the Change Flight option (don't use the Modify Flight option under your My Trips listing as that won't work and will try to charge the fare difference). Given the DL call wait times, this will likely be the quickest option.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MarkCron
That is what FT keeps telling me, but 3 DL agents would not allow it, specifically saying "no routing change on SDC allowed"
They're wrong. Unfortunately, I don't know the section of KM to refer them to. (I'll get it before I next need to SDC.)
MarkCron likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
One rule to be aware of that is not explicitly listed on the website: the new routing has to be legal for the city pair. E.g you can't SDC from ATL-JFK to ATL-LAX-JFK because LAX isn't a valid connection point for ATL-NYC. There are some agents who will overlook this rule if you specifically ask them to, though.
I've done SDC from NYC-BOS to NYC-MSP-BOS. On the return, I almost got BOS-MSP-LAX-JFK, but MX interfered.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
I've done SDC from NYC-BOS to NYC-MSP-BOS. On the return, I almost got BOS-MSP-LAX-JFK, but MX interfered.
It's not altogether clear whether this is an official benefit of SDC (ignoring fare routing rules), or agents simply overriding the rules. Clearly they have a fair amount of flexibility. The rules only explicitly say you cannot SDC from a connection to a non-stop. I've been denied SDC by an agent before because routing was not allowed by the fare I purchased (on a DTW-LAX fare which required non-stop routing -- the agent would not re-route through SLC). Online SDC appears to enforce fare routing rules whenever I've used it in the past.

Last edited by xliioper; May 29, 2021 at 4:13 am
Old May 29, 2021, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by xliioper
It's not altogether clear whether this is an official benefit of SDC (ignoring fare routing rules), or agents simply overriding the rules. Clearly they have a fair amount of flexibility. The rules only explicitly say you cannot SDC from a connection to a non-stop. I've been denied SDC by an agent before because routing was not allowed by the fare I purchased (on a DTW-LAX fare which required non-stop routing -- the agent would not re-route through SLC). Online SDC appears to enforce fare routing rules whenever I've used it in the past.
Technically the routing must still comply with fare purchased. In reality though I've found that as long as system provides a routing that agent will book it. Ie that they don't have to manually enter flight numbers, they just search AAA-BBB and an option shows for AAA-CCC-BBB.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, there is something called "Circuitous Route Check" for displaying/booking end-on-end fare combinations (in addition to itins involving single fare components). Perhaps they have something similar for SDC routing options behind the scenes. It'd be nice to have some input from an actual agent. It's hard to imagine someone getting away with illogical/absurd SDC routings routinely. A classic example (which is has been discussed here before) is booking a $144 LAX-SFO FC fare (current cheapest) and then using SDC to bounce to the east coast and back to goose your MQM earn.

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...tructions.html

Last edited by xliioper; May 29, 2021 at 7:55 am
Old May 29, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME DM phone agents will allow SDCs to any route that looks like it should be legal without checking the actual fare rules. Routing through any hub that's vaguely along the way seems to be OK, but going outrageously far out of the way shouldn't and usually isn't permitted.

BTW, if you have a connection and want to SDC just the second flight, T-24 seems to count from the scheduled departure time of the second flight.
Old May 29, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME DM phone agents will allow SDCs to any route that looks like it should be legal without checking the actual fare rules. Routing through any hub that's vaguely along the way seems to be OK, but going outrageously far out of the way shouldn't and usually isn't permitted.

BTW, if you have a connection and want to SDC just the second flight, T-24 seems to count from the scheduled departure time of the second flight.
SDC always goes by the first flight, even if leaving first flight alone.
Old May 29, 2021, 2:41 pm

SDC always goes by the first flight, even if leaving first flight alone.
That's not what I was told earlier this week. The agent refused to make the change for me at T-24 (plus a small epsilon) before the first flight and made me wait to call back. Fortunately space was still available when I tried again at T-24 (plus a big epsilon) before the second flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.