Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Wow, took me some time to find this thread.
Just wanted to confirm what I already think to be true ...
If i want to SDC a medallion upgraded to F flight I will not automatically be put in F (assuming space is available), but would SDC to coach and be put on upgrade list. Correct?
Medallion upgrades require clearing again. Mileage/GUC/RUC upgrades dont require clearing again, they are to be treated as F tickets for SDC purposes.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: DL DM
SDC/SDS After Boarding Started

Is it possible to SDC/SDS for a flight after it has begun boarding?

The scenario is that on my usual route, there is a connecting flight to my destination that I am unable to book because the connection is too short, but with Delta’s padding of arrival times, I usually pass by this gate as they are boarding. Would I be able to request SDC/SDS and potentially get on this flight at that point, or no because boarding has begun and additions won’t be processed?
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by tardyturtle

The scenario is that on my usual route, there is a connecting flight to my destination that I am unable to book because the connection is too short, but with Delta’s padding of arrival times, I usually pass by this gate as they are boarding. Would I be able to request SDC/SDS and potentially get on this flight at that point, or no because boarding has begun and additions won’t be processed?
It has nothing to do with your currently booked flight already boarding and the fact that the connection is too short on the itinerary you want to take. No one can SDC/SDS you to those flights because the computer will not sell an illegal connection. Even with an "updated" arrival time on your first flight and allowing a legal connection, the computer doesn't take that into account. The computer will see the scheduled arrival time as the time to calculate the connection for.

-RM
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No. SDS/SDC won't be confirmed as the system still goes by the scheduled arrival. It could show 20 minutes early, but due to delays in air you arrive 5 late. Boarding has zero to do with it, just means you'll know quicker if there's space.
tardyturtle likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by tardyturtle

Yes. Walk up to the gate agent for the flight you want to be on and ask if there are any seats available. They will have already processed upgrades for F/C+, so don't expect a seat upfront, but they will give you whatever is left if you are okay with that (sometimes its worth it to arrive early). You may get lucky if there are any no-shows for F/C+ and they may bypass the upgrade list and put you upfront if they are running out of time.
monitor and pgh234 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Trying to understand how SDC works on DL (recently status matched to DM from UA).

I purchased a OW ticket from JFK-BUR via SLC. (I think the fare basis is VA7NA0ME.)

Looked up the routing details on EF, and it says:
V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 VA7NA0ME V X 135.00 R18NV T06NV 7/1 -/ - 1007
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-JFK TO-BUR CXR-DL TVL-11NOV20 RULE-9M57 DFR/11
FARE BASIS-VA7NA0ME SPECIAL FARE DIS-N VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-SIP OW-INSTANT PURCHASE
USD 135.00 1007 E02OCT20 D18NOV20 FC-VA7NA0ME FN-71
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 09OCT20/1926 EXPIRES INFINITY

PUBLISHED RTG NYC-BUR/DL1007/TAR-DRG1 EF-09OCT20 DIS-INDEF

MAP CONSTRUCTED LEFT TO RIGHT AND RIGHT TO LEFT
1. NYC-SLC/ATL-BUR.
Does this mean any SDC I request has to go through SLC or ATL, or are the routing rules irrelevant when one makes a SDC? I know I can't switch from a connecting itinerary to a nonstop, but are they not allowed to put me through one of their other hubs if the fare class was available?

Also: for UA, fare class for both award and revenue 'buckets' are supposed to level out within two hours of departure. Does DL not do this? I know UA's policy is also to only allow SDC if your fare class is available, but I've never had an issue with fare class when doing SDC on UA. Even if I was traveling on an inexpensive economy ticket, they'd rebook me in a higher fare class of the flight I wanted to be on if there was a seat available (though the mileage earning would be in the original fare class).
Old Nov 1, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
There is no "leveling" of buckets close to departure. (I didn't know anyone did that). Unless a flight is empty (which I guess many are these days), there will be no availability to SDC. You will only be able to SDS. In pre-Rona times, it made SDC fairly useless for those of us on cheap fare buckets.

To address your SDC question, since BUR has such limited service from DL, the only cities you CAN connect through (to my knowledge) is ATL or SLC. However, I am assuming you are aware of the DM co-terminal benefits if you want to SDC to somewhere else in the LA basin?
NYC2SGN likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

1. You still technically must fly a valid routing. However many agents in past would be willing to overlook this
  2. There's no leveling out.
  3. As DM you can SDC to/from a co-terminal.
  4. SDC on DL is domestic/Canada only, any other flights on ticket mean the whole ticket is not eligible. *however unofficially they will allow once all non-domestic/non-Canada flights have been flown.
  5. You can upfare to next available fare class, but not all agents know how to do it.
  6. A paid F ticket only requires a seat for sale not same fare class. *paid includes a ticket that has been upgraded and ticket reissued. You don't have to reclear the upgrade, but same agents insist otherwise due to confusion with #7
  7. On economy tickets you must reclear Medallion upgrades, they don't carry over.
  8. A paid C+ ticket allows SDC to any flight with a seat in Y/C+ regardless of fare class availability. This can make it worth paying.
NYC2SGN likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pgh234
There is no "leveling" of buckets close to departure. (I didn't know anyone did that). Unless a flight is empty (which I guess many are these days), there will be no availability to SDC. You will only be able to SDS. In pre-Rona times, it made SDC fairly useless for those of us on cheap fare buckets.

To address your SDC question, since BUR has such limited service from DL, the only cities you CAN connect through (to my knowledge) is ATL or SLC. However, I am assuming you are aware of the DM co-terminal benefits if you want to SDC to somewhere else in the LA basin?
Yes! I was aware of the co-terminal benefit for DMs. I don't know if DL operated BUR-ATL non-stop in the past, but right now, it seems the only flights exBUR are to SLC (not sure if that is even relevant; but the hope is that the limited availability of flights exBUR would allow agents to be more flexible with the routing?). If I'm understanding the official policy correctly, I can SDC to JFK/EWR/LGA>>ATL/SLC>>BUR/LAX/LGB/SNA/ONT, but not NYC>>MSP/SEA/DTW>>LAA --and only if my fare class is available on both segments.

1. You still technically must fly a valid routing. However many agents in past would be willing to overlook this
  4. SDC on DL is domestic/Canada only, any other flights on ticket mean the whole ticket is not eligible. *however unofficially they will allow once all non-domestic/non-Canada flights have been flown.
  5. You can upfare to next available fare class, but not all agents know how to do it.
  6. A paid F ticket only requires a seat for sale not same fare class. *paid includes a ticket that has been upgraded and ticket reissued. You don't have to reclear the upgrade, but same agents insist otherwise due to confusion with #7
  7. On economy tickets you must reclear Medallion upgrades, they don't carry over.
  8. A paid C+ ticket allows SDC to any flight with a seat in Y/C+ regardless of fare class availability. This can make it worth paying.
Seems like the SDC policy is much more generous when flying in paid C+ and F. I don't mind being put back in MC after doing a SDC. I just wonder whether the availability of fare classes really corresponds to the availability of seats on a given flight. The system I was used to had cheaper fare classes disappear closer to the day of departure (since last minute bookings are usually made by business travelers) --but at T-24, lower fare classes would start to become available (though not necessarily purchasable) if the flight was not actually full. This allowed people on cheaper Y fares to be able to SDC; and flexible travelers were able to book last minute saver award flights. In other words, if a DL flight is showing J2 C0D0 I0 Z0 W0 S0 Y4B0M0H0Q0K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0, does that really mean that there are only 2 seats left in F and 4 seats left in MC?

Last edited by NYC2SGN; Nov 1, 2020 at 10:01 am
Old Nov 1, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
Yes! I was aware of the co-terminal benefit for DMs. I don't know if DL operated BUR-ATL non-stop in the past, but right now, it seems the only flights exBUR are to SLC (not sure if that is even relevant; but the hope is that the limited availability of flights exBUR would allow agents to be more flexible with the routing?). If I'm understanding the official policy correctly, I can SDC to JFK/EWR/LGA>>ATL/SLC>>BUR/LAX/LGB/SNA/ONT, but not NYC>>MSP/SEA/DTW>>LAA --and only if my fare class is available on both segments.

Seems like the SDC policy is much more generous when flying in paid C+ and F. I don't mind being put back in MC after doing a SDC. I just wonder whether the availability of fare classes really corresponds to the availability of seats on a given flight. The system I was used to had cheaper fare classes disappear closer to the day of departure (since last minute bookings are usually made by business travelers) --but at T-24, lower fare classes would start to become available (though not necessarily purchasable) if the flight was not actually full. This allowed people on cheaper Y fares to be able to SDC; and flexible travelers were able to book last minute saver award flights. In other words, if a DL flight is showing J2 C0D0 I0 Z0 W0 S0 Y4B0M0H0Q0K0 L0 U0 T0 X0 V0 E0, does that really mean that there are only 2 seats left in F and 4 seats left in MC?
J2, Y4 means that. DL is only willing to sell 2in First/D1 and 4 in main. DL doesn't overbook First/D1 unless by accident. As for F/W SDC. yes the policy is definitely more generous. In fact many people have bought a F/W ticket specifically to get SDC as SDC for main cabin is notoriously hard to come by. If someone with an L fare cancels same day it's unlikely to go back to the L bucket. Instead if it gets added back at all, itll likely be added just for the Y bucket. This is why SDC policy for F/W is a major selling point. As long as J1 on a flight you can move to it with a paid F ticket. DL will also allow you to downgrade if F isn't available but Y/W is and you're willing.

Note for SDS, you wont be on upgrade list till you've been confirmed on the flight. DL runs the upgrade list before processing standbys. Thus it's unlikely to get a Medallion upgrade if going SDS instead of SDC.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
J2, Y4 means that. DL is only willing to sell 2in First/D1 and 4 in main. DL doesn't overbook First/D1 unless by accident.
There were reports last year that DL was intentionally overbooking D1 and kicking out pax on award tickets.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:56 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Two other differences to be aware of compared to UA (although I stopped paying close attention to Mileage Plus a while ago so my info may be out of date):

- on DL you only have to be within T-24h of your currently booked flight (whereas IIRC UA requires both your current flight and your SDC-targeted-flight to be within T-24). This is advantageous if you are trying to switch to a later flight.

- on DL you can technically only SDC to something departing the same calendar day as your original flight (with mixed reports of success/failure with regard to SDCing a red-eye to the first morning flight the next day or vice versa)

Some other quirks/features:

- if you have, say, an L fare, and the web site is only selling let's say Q, it's possible there's L inventory that just isn't for sale because of advance purchase requirements etc. So still useful to check EF or BCD Travel to scope out possibilities.

- as flyerCO noted, "SDC on DL is domestic/Canada only" which, by the book, excludes any itinerary involving other international travel; however it is (or was, I haven't tried this in a while) pretty routinely possible to SDC the remaining domestic segments once all the international legs have ben flown (i.e. in practice once you re-enter the US you can go to the desk and have them SDC the remainder of your trip to your US destination). There are also scattered reports of people doing this with the domestic segments *preceding* international travel but that seems much less reliable.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fly747first
There were reports last year that DL was intentionally overbooking D1 and kicking out pax on award tickets.
Reports arent actual practice. DL doesn't overbook F unless something unusual happens. They also dont kick passengers out just because they're on awards. They follow VDB processes (including more $ than a Y ticket) and only if no takers, IDB.

However it makes great clickbait titles and great stories to say "DL kicked me out of Delta One because I was on an award."
TerryK likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
4. When did this become unofficial? It was a published benefit (at least for DM) that you could SDC an international ticket/PNR after all international segments have been flown, although IME some agents insisted that this must be done at the airport (and obviously after clearing customs).

Some other comments:

You can buy up to a higher coach fare class (pay the fare difference) to SDC.

Instrument supported upgrades (GUCs/RUCs and miles) are treated like FC or C+ if the ticket has been reissued. Obviously this requires upgrade inventory sufficiently far in advance of the SDC window or an agent who's willing to process the upgrade, reissue the ticket, and then process a SDC.

IME some agents will try to convince you to do SDS instead of SDC, especially if you're entitled to SDC a discounted FC ticket into any available FC seat. It is NOT NOT NOT true that you will be at the top of the gate upgrade list. Most GAs process upgrades before clearing standbys, so if you SDS, there is virtually NO CHANCE of any upgrade. Even ATL SC agents have insisted that I would end up in FC even after I told them why this is false.

If you SDC after an international arrival and have checked bags, be sure to go the the service desk right after clearing customs to do the SDC and get the bag retagged for the new flights. The airport arrival screamers will try to insist that you just drop any tagged bags and exit to the terminal, but once your bag is gone, it can be very difficult to SDC even if you're willing to return to the airport to pick up the (voluntarily separated, just like if you had checked it after the deadline) bag.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 2, 2020 at 7:02 am
Old Nov 2, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
there are always lots of reports of all sorts of shenanigans, how many of them were actually substantiated?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.