Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mnbp
That would be a "no" to SDC, which cannot be done for an itinerary containing international segments.

My suggestion would be to ask at the airport. A Red Coat might take one look at your itinerary and the suggestion to get to ATL earlier to assure the connection. Don't ask for "SDC" (because this itinerary doesn't qualify for SDC), instead ask to be accommodated on the earlier flight to assure the connection. If there's any delay showing on your original itinerary, that'll make the case even easier.
Thank you. Didn’t know about the no-SDC if an international segment is on the ticket rule.

It would be a bummer to wake up an hour earlier and show up only to learn from a Red Coat a change is not possible. But I’ll look at the seat map the night before and if it appears rather open in PS (fat chance on medallion-heavy LAX-ATL), I might give it a shot.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I wonder if DL finally updates their computers on the paid FC SDC rules. I was able to do a SDC to an earlier flight that did not have my original Z class available. I had to hit the button that said, “show more flight options” but it worked and I was able to make the SDC.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL PM
Not sure if this is the best thread for this - but trying to determine if the following would be 'legal'.

Say I have a waitlisted RUC on one flight, but find that RUC space is available on a later flight. Is there anything stopping me from SDC'ing to the later flight, clearing the RUC, then SDC'ing back to my original flight (assuming there's at least one F seat open)? Seems like a trick but just wondering if its a valid procedure!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ElliottMB
Not sure if this is the best thread for this - but trying to determine if the following would be 'legal'.

Say I have a waitlisted RUC on one flight, but find that RUC space is available on a later flight. Is there anything stopping me from SDC'ing to the later flight, clearing the RUC, then SDC'ing back to my original flight (assuming there's at least one F seat open)? Seems like a trick but just wondering if its a valid procedure!
each of those steps is individually permitted, so...

I might do the last step with a different agent anyway just in case the first agent balks though.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
each of those steps is individually permitted, so...

I might do the last step with a different agent anyway just in case the first agent balks though.
Ha noted. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:48 pm

if F space isn’t available on the original flight and I SDS back to it (with a confirmed RUC as payment for F) who clears first - me or someone waiting for a Medallion upgrade?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:52 pm

if F space isn’t available on the original flight and I SDS back to it (with a confirmed RUC as payment for F) who clears first - me or someone waiting for a Medallion upgrade?
You shouldn’t ever have to go SDS on a confirmed F ticket unless there are 0 seats left in FC at all when trying to SDC.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
You should but I wouldn't count on it; I'd check with the GA to make sure.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
There should be no reason to be put on standby with paid F. If a seat is available, you can SDC onto it with standby not necessary.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by sethb
Specifically, you should be able to SDC on to the flight where F is full, but you will be confirmed in coach with a higher-than-medallion priority on the UG list. Unfortunately I think this will mostly depend on how your SDC agent rebooks you, but you should essentially have the UG priority of a paid FC passenger who happens to be seated in coach.

If you SDS, you should expect to sit in coach. Unfortunately it seems that SOP for most GAs is to clear the UG list before they even look at standby priority/class, so by the time they see a FC pax on SB the cabin will already be full. This isn't a problem with the priority, it's a result of the order of operations.

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There should be no reason to be put on standby with paid F. If a seat is available, you can SDC onto it with standby not necessary.
This. Of course, if you're trying to switch on to a flight that is full in both FC and coach, then SDS and most likely a coach seat is the only option you have.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:58 am

If you have a paid F seat and you SDS onto a flight with 0 F open, and a seat later opens up, it will just stay open, then when the gate processes upgrades, they will process normally from the upgrade list (which you won't be on), and then you'll clear into Y seats that opened up after upgrades.

It's POSSIBLE that the gate agent will notice you're on a paid F ticket and process your standby first, but it's unlikely.

If you really want to be on the flight with 0F, do a SDC downgrading into Y, and you will be ahead of all medallion and certificates on the upgrade list.
gooselee likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
DM 2MM and I have never utilized SDC or SDS. I'm ticketed SFO-LAX-PDX this Friday. Can I fly the SFO-LAX segment in the morning then SDC to a different LAX-PDX flight much later Friday? An opportunity has just come up that would require a half-day stay in LA. This is a purchased U fare that has been upgraded to C+(SU). Carry-on luggage only.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DL 360, UA 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
DM 2MM and I have never utilized SDC or SDS. I'm ticketed SFO-LAX-PDX this Friday. Can I fly the SFO-LAX segment in the morning then SDC to a different LAX-PDX flight much later Friday? An opportunity has just come up that would require a half-day stay in LA. This is a purchased U fare that has been upgraded to C+(SU). Carry-on luggage only.

1) Wow, 2MM with no SDC/SDS. I use this almost weekly!

2) Yes, you can definitely SDC after the first flight to move your LAX-PDX later in the day (even much later), even if it creates a layover exceeding 4 hours.

I've also had success doing this by calling before the trip, and asking only to change one segment. Dont count on it, but its happened many times for me.

Of course, your underlying fare bucket must have inventory available to make the change. U fares are pretty low in the fare hierarchy, so I wouldnt expect it to be available unless the flight has many empty seats. I dont know what PDX loads are like, perhaps check this on expert flyer for several days before your trip to get a sense.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by A321neo
2) Yes, you can definitely SDC after the first flight to move your LAX-PDX later in the day (even much later), even if it creates a layover exceeding 4 hours.

I've also had success doing this by calling before the trip, and asking only to change one segment. Dont count on it, but its happened many times for me.
Definitely? It’s certainly not allowed by the SDC rules. Any connection over 4 hours is breaking the fare, and Delta could tell the 2MM to buy a new LAX-PDX at walk up fares. Just being honest about the possibilities with someone who hasn’t used SDC before.

My advice - if you want to move LAX-PDX later - once you get to LAX, work with an airport agent or Red Coat to make the change. Best case, you will be confirmed on your new flight regardless of fare class. Worst case, they’ll put you on the standby list for the flight.

The airport controlling the flight you’re trying to modify can be much more flexible and has much more authority when it comes to breaking rules like this, than the phone - especially bad advice to call before the trip, which will refare everything.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: AA, DL Platinum, AS, AF/KL, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
I'm confused about my upgrade/standby status for a flight I've checked in for.

Flying AF marketed LAX-ATL-CDG-FCO on a AF Premium Economy ticket. The itinerary is coded at "A." LAX-ATL is on DL metal and I've reserved a C+ seat which is the highest class of service I could reserve for that flight (unfortunately it's not a 777 so no PS seats).

But after checking in I've noticed the DL LAX-ATL segment is now coded as "First Class (OU)." I still have my confirmed C+ seat. When I view the Upgrade/Sandby list I don't see my name but it reads on the page in red letters: "Your name will not appear on the Standby list until you are activated by the gate agent."

So many questions. Was my ticket in fact an "Op-Up" ticket? Do medallions, of which I am one (Gold), have upgrade priority over me? About how long before the flight does the GA activated me? Do I have to indicate to the GA I am present? I see on the seat map there are currently 2 seats open in FC. Do I even have a chance for an upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.