Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Chaserxp215
I am flying SEA-DTW-GRR in the next few weeks on an A fare from SEA to DTW and K from DTW to GRR (regional jet). Currently on a redeye but found I will be able to get out of work early. Would I be able to switch from a 11:15 pm departure to an earlier 1:45 pm departure. This is the closest flight to the red eye, but doesn't meet the 3 hour rule. I am a gold medallion so normally the fee is waived.
Am I able to make this switch as long as there are first class seats available and can I call T-24 for the 1:45 or T-24 at the 11:15.

Just a little confused on all these rules on this. Thanks for any help!
you may have to get supervisor intervention ... there may be some issues with the RJ segment, since the IT logic might start looking for K availability (coach SDC rules)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may have to get supervisor intervention ... there may be some issues with the RJ segment, since the IT logic might start looking for K availability (coach SDC rules)
I was also worried about this because the flight I would switch to is a md-88 vs. crj...

Thanks for the response!
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are SDS and SDC now allowed on domestic connecting segments on international itineraries BEFORE the international segments (TATL) have been flown? A DM agent tried to tell me yesterday that this would be allowed.
The immediate response to this old post (July 2013) by MSP was one cannot SDS/SDC the first domestic flight of a TATL flight.

I called today asking what would happen if went stand-by for an earlier flight tomorrow on my Z fare. The answer was that only the gate agent can decide and then moments ago a second agent said no stand-by allowed for my first segment (OKC-ATL). The flight in question (2481) shows F3 on EF.

So I take it the final answer is no SDS/SDC before international segment and stand-by can be risky, no?

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 29, 2014 at 6:44 pm
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
New same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Standing by on an earlier flight is never risky - worst case you just take your original flight!

And as for getting on an earlier flt on and intl itinerary, it's really up to the GA if they want to do it for you.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:06 pm

Thanks, but the risks in my case are giving up my paid FC OKC-ATL and a long stay at OKC without a SC.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:41 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Xeno
So I take it the final answer is no SDS/SDC before international segment and stand-by can be risky, no?
I still say that the airport agents have power to bend the rules, and all the phone agents can do is quote you the official rules.

I was flying a weird ticket. . . .

PIT/XXX/CHI overnite
CHI/MSP/SLC overnite
SLC/CDG/EUR

When I got to ORD, I noticed that the earlier flight to MSP, delayed a little, was boarding. I figured I'd ask if there was room. Better to sit a little longer at the MSP SC, than the tiny ORD club. There was room - had to give up my UG - short flight; no big deal.

The GA gave me a seat with a row all to myself! The funny thing is, that I completely forgot til days later that technically, this was against the rules, due to the int'l stuff.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
I'm guessing that your CHI-MSP was on a different fare component, making it easier as well.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:00 pm

The flight I am looking at is still F3 but the economy fares are 0 except Y4.

BTW, did you have checked luggage (as I will have)?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 8:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by suvayanr
I'm guessing that your CHI-MSP was on a different fare component, making it easier as well.
Nope.

My fare was a round trip CHI/TXL - all the same fare class, nested within a round trip PIT/CHI on either end.

Originally Posted by Xeno
BTW, did you have checked luggage (as I will have)?
Nope. There's your glitch waiting to happen. If you're at the gate, you hava better chance of getting on the flight. At the ticket counter, it's iffy, I think.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
SDC to same flight cancels upgrade

Is this supposed to happen?

I'm flying tomorrow morning and had booked a 3 hour layover in ATL. I was upgraded for both flights. I checked availability this morning and called in to change to the an earlier connection reducing my time in ATL to about 1 hour. I stayed on the exact same DCA-ATL flight. The receipt came through to my email as I was on the phone with the rep, and I noticed I'd been kicked back to economy. I knew my upgrade for the flight I changed wouldn't hold, but I thought they could preserve it for the flight that I wasn't changing. She said there was nothing she could do because they ticket had to be reissued. Is this correct? I certainly makes SDC much less appealing in cases like this where I want to shorten my layover if it is.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:39 am

Programs: Delta Skymile DM, Marriott Platinum, PC Gold, Avis Chairman's Club, National EE
The right rep will notice this and not let it happen. I always point it out to the rep and ask then to protect the upgrade.

Originally Posted by mattp1987
Is this supposed to happen?

I'm flying tomorrow morning and had booked a 3 hour layover in ATL. I was upgraded for both flights. I checked availability this morning and called in to change to the an earlier connection reducing my time in ATL to about 1 hour. I stayed on the exact same DCA-ATL flight. The receipt came through to my email as I was on the phone with the rep, and I noticed I'd been kicked back to economy. I knew my upgrade for the flight I changed wouldn't hold, but I thought they could preserve it for the flight that I wasn't changing. She said there was nothing she could do because they ticket had to be reissued. Is this correct? I certainly makes SDC much less appealing in cases like this where I want to shorten my layover if it is.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by Teamstone
The right rep will notice this and not let it happen. I always point it out to the rep and ask then to protect the upgrade.
OK, thanks. I was pretty sure I'd done it before without a problem but couldn't remember. I thought she would have warned me before letting the upgrade go away. I guess at this point all I can do is hope for the best on the airport list. I don't care about the alcohol on an early morning flight, and the legroom in row 10 of the MD is good enough, but I was counting on having breakfast from the snack basket since I'll be leaving home at 4:30 and don't want to eat that early.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Teamstone
Agreed. I haven't had this happen in a long time. Likely you call was taken by an agent that doesn't usually deal with elite calls due to overflow/volume of calls.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by davetravels
I still say that the airport agents have power to bend the rules, and all the phone agents can do is quote you the official rules.
"Bend" is a little soft. Seems they can do whatever they want when in the mood. I've changed Intl itins at the gate many times. Once even was asked by the agent checking me in, "Do you really want to do all this?" Meaning she was offering to delete segments from a complicated PNR created for MR purposes. Much less luck with phone agents though--perhaps never...
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
A question for the experts: is it possible to be placed on the standby list for a connection that violates MCT, prior to flying the first segment?

For example, let's say I am flying BOS-JFK-SLC and want to standby on an earlier JFK-SLC flight that departs 30 minutes after BOS-JFK is scheduled to land. I know I can't use SDC because of the 35-minute MCT at JFK. But could I get added to the JFK-SLC standby list before departing from BOS? Or would I need to run off the plane to the right gate at JFK and just plead with the GA after landing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.