Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
This wiki covers basic info and common FAQs. For full terms and conditions, see the relevant DL web page: Same Day Travel Changes

Same-Day Confirmed

To request an SDC, you can
  • Use the Same Day Change function on the Today screen in the Delta app (recommended, but with some peculiarities -- may not show all routings, and if changing to an earlier or later flight will only show the option within 24 hours of the target flight)
  • Click the "Change" button during OLCI (after you click "Check in" on the first screen)
  • Call a phone agent (recommended if app does not work)
  • Use Delta's chat functions via the app (hit or miss)

Online SDC does not seem to present all the options available to you, especially when you are SDCing a GAP fare and there is no inventory in your fare bucket. Calling in is best. People have had success with Twitter but that may depend on how "involved" the SDC is.

You can SDC starting 24 hours before your initial departure. You can SDC to any flight leaving the same calendar day. There is a $75 fee for SDC ($50 for tickets issued before March 15th, 2017), waived for GM and higher. This fee, and the waiver, applies for each person, although for GM+ traveling with companion the companion fee is sometimes waived.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (main cabin)?

A. Yes (whether revenue or award ticket). Note there is sometimes inventory in a fare bucket even though it may not be offered for sale on the web site. SDC on V or N (low award) fare is not unheard of.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (Comfort+)?

If booked into W (not WU) there only needs to be an available seat in Comfort+ regardless of fare class.

Q. Does the same fare class need to be available (First/Business/DeltaOne)?

Q. What about SDC with RUC/GUC/mileage upgrades (that have already cleared)?

As of November 2017:

* If your original ticket is a Delta OneTM ticket, you may move to any other flight with a premium cabin seat available
* If your original ticket is a First Class ticket, you may move only to other flights with a First Class seat available; you may not move to a flight with a Delta One experience, even if seats are available.
It is unclear how this affects SDC if you are confirmed in RY/OY.

Q. I have a premium cabin fare, can I SDC to an itinerary with a single-cabin aircraft?

Written reply received from Delta, Dec. 2015:

f the aircraft does not support a First/Business/Delta One cabin you are still eligible to change to the flight as long we are still selling seats on the flight.

Q. What about Medallion complimentary upgrades?

A. These do *not* count as premium cabin fares even if you already cleared. The main cabin rules for SDC regarding fare inventory will apply, and if it goes through you will SDC into a main cabin seat (but you are eligible to be upgraded again -- make sure you appear on the upgrade list on your new itinerary)

Q. Can I change the routing/connections?

A. You cannot SDC from a connecting itinerary to a non-stop itinerary. In all other cases the answer is unclear. The SDC rules do not explicitly prohibit routing changes. However ticket fare rules usually contain a clause that additions/changes to connections must be permitted by the fare rules. These are apparently in conflict, and practically speaking it depends on the agent/supervisor you speak with. Some refuse, some allow anything reasonable.

Q. Can I change the origin/destination?

A. Technically no, but there is an unwritten rule that DMs can make co-terminal changes. (There are some unintuitive gaps in what DL considers co-terminal, e.g. DAL and DFW do not count.)

Q. How are SDC flights credited?

A. You will earn MQMs for the route you actually fly.

Q. Can I SDC onto a red-eye later the same day, that connects to a flight the following morning?

A. Yes (though the agent may need to process it manually)

Q. I have a red-eye flight or a flight leaving shortly after midnight; can I SDC to a flight the next day/day before?

A. Officially, no. In practice, some people have reported success (with no real pattern to status). Can't hurt to ask.

Q. Can I SDC on an international itinerary?

A. Officially, no. In practice, you can SDC remaining domestic flights after all international flights have been flown; if you have onward checked bags it is best to do this before you re-check them. There are non-zero reports of SDC of domestic flights before connecting to an international flight but this should not be counted on.

Q. Can I SDC an Alaska Airlines codeshare?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can SDC from a DL marketed, AS operated flight to a DL operated flight. You can not SDC to another AS operated flight, even if it's DL marketed.
Originally Posted by jrl767
you may be able to SDC from a DL-marketed AS-operated flight to another AS flight under AS SDC rules (request within 6 hrs of desired flight, as long as you make the request before the scheduled departure of your booked flight; $50 fee if you don't have AS status)
Same-Day Standby

"Same-day standby is only offered if same-day confirmed is not available."

"You can use the same-day standby option for travel within the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands on Delta and Delta Connection flights."

SDS can be requested 24 hours before your initial departure. GM+ can SDS to any flight departing the same calendar day; others can only SDS for an earlier flight. No routing changes are permitted.

SDS costs $75 ($50 for tickets issued before 15 MAR 2017) but only if you clear the standby list (waived for GM+) SDS is now free for all passengers as of August 4th, 2021

Upgrades are not preserved -- if you already cleared the upgrade on your original flight you must still standby for the main cabin.

Q. Is it possible to get upgraded after a standby?

A. Almost always no, whether because it is explicitly forbidden or because the standby list is processed after the UG list and it is rare for any F seats to be leftover after that happens. So, maybe sometimes?

Same-Day Standby Upgrades

"The same-day standby upgrade option allows you to upgrade your flight for a small fee, provided space is available and your ticket is eligible. This option applies to specific flights and routings [...]"

This is not the same as upgrading after successfully standing by for a main cabin seat (see above).

SDSU fee chart (may be out of date):

All flights within and between the Domestic 48 States and Alaska

Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

0 to 500 miles $49 $119 $169

501 to 1,000 miles $79 $149 $199

1,001 to 1,500 miles $99 $209 $259

1,501 to 2,000 miles $149 $249 $319

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All flights to and from Hawaii
Code:
Traveling Y/B/M Fares S/H/Q/K/L Fares U/T/X/V Fares

2,001 to 3,000 miles $239 $269 $359

3,001 miles and up $329 $369 $399
All eligible other flights
Code:
Traveling Y / B / M / H / Q / K Fares

0 to 500 miles $50

501 to 1,000 miles $75

1,001 to 1,500 miles $100

1,501 to 2,000 miles $150

2,001 to 3,000 miles $225

3,001 miles and up $350

Print Wikipost

Same-day confirmed and same-day standby options

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2014, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by john doe iii
Is there a difference if they can confirm you? I assume you will be on the normal upgrade list?
If you can SDC, then yes, you'll be on the upgrade list for your new flights.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by gooselee
+1

Whenever I do an SDS, I'm doing so with the assumption that I'll clear into a middle seat behind the wing. If I'm lucky I'll get an aisle or exit row.

So then I weigh the schedule difference against the either confirmed or likely upgrade on my booked flight, and make a decision. Most of my flights are 2 hours or less, so usually the schedule wins.
+1.

I did this exact thing last night, in fact, gave up confirmed upgrade to standby on an earlier, < 1 hour flight. As #6 for 4 seats, I was lucky to get on the aircraft at all (must have been no-shows?), but I did get an exit row aisle, and even more rare/lucky, there was actually overhead space left for my bag even as the 2nd to last to board the plane.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
I have a SDC question
I'm going ANC-SEA-MSP-JFK, leaving ANC 330pm, long layover in SEA and departs for MSP at 1245am.
Could I do a SDC to take the 7am JFK nonstop flight (assuming fare class available) or would that brake the fare and be ineligible?
Old Jun 1, 2014, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
I have a SDC question
I'm going ANC-SEA-MSP-JFK, leaving ANC 330pm, long layover in SEA and departs for MSP at 1245am.
Could I do a SDC to take the 7am JFK nonstop flight (assuming fare class available) or would that brake the fare and be ineligible?
You want to SDC SEA-MSP-JFK to SEA-JFK? If the fare class is available, that ought to be allowed.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I have a SDC question
You want to leave 7am the next day? Wouldn't that be greater than the maximum allowable stop over of 4 hours for a domestic connection?
Old Jun 2, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
You want to leave 7am the next day? Wouldn't that be greater than the maximum allowable stop over of 4 hours for a domestic connection?
My Flights are ANC-SEA 330p-754p, SEA-MSP 1245a-553a, MSP-JFK 7-11am
And I'd like to SDC to the 7am SEA-JFK flight so I can actually get some sleep in SEA. I know typically over 4 hours breaks the route, but my current connection time in SEA is almost 5 hours.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Screwed yet again as a DM

How many high status fliers will it take for Delta to realize that the SDS policy sucks horribly? No upgrades, no hope of a decent seat except by luck...why are they not prioritizing those of use that fly with them non-stop? Is there some sort of a petition or movement to let them know? I'd even pay a small fee, vs. being put in the cattle line and just hoping. Currently sitting in a window, cramped seat, when I saw just over an hour before my flight that they had plenty of seats and some in exit row. MM and about 200k miles a year. NOT pleased.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I tried to SDC online yesterday for a flight today. I had already been upgraded. The website kept giving me an error message and as per EF, I knew there was availability on the flight I wanted to SDC to.
So I called the DM line and it turns out the system was no more able to recognize my fare of origin due to the upgrade. That was the reason why I could not do the change online. She was very efficient though, and did everything manually.
Still, I would think the system should be able to allow you to SDC online even after your upgrade has cleared.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
My Flights are ANC-SEA 330p-754p, SEA-MSP 1245a-553a, MSP-JFK 7-11am
And I'd like to SDC to the 7am SEA-JFK flight so I can actually get some sleep in SEA. I know typically over 4 hours breaks the route, but my current connection time in SEA is almost 5 hours.
You're a DM so you can SDC to a later flight. Your SEA-MSP should be changible to the same day 7AM SEA-JFK if your fare class is available. ALso, since you fall in the midnight - 2AM time frame, you can change earlier than the 24 hr window.

Good luck finding a CSR who understands the new rules.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: DL GM
Welcome to the community. Long time lurker and finally decided to partake occasionally

The priority for clearing standbys is
HKI (IROPs and invol dbc confirmed pax)
HKM
HK
HKV
Upgrades
Same day standby (elite then non)
Non elite pax that can't be confirmed affected by irregular ops or flat tire ruled (a2/b1/c)
Non rev standbys

What I have noticed lately is a lot of us elite have been abusing SDSB and sdc by buying cheaper fares on later flights and then showing up saying "my meeting ended early" and wanting to get on. When it truly happens, it's ok. When you see the same elites on the same routes doing it religiously, makes you think why DL's rules are the way they are.

Last edited by Jfern022; Jun 6, 2014 at 5:59 pm Reason: First sentence.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:28 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jfern022
What I have noticed lately is a lot of us elite have been abusing SDSB and sdc by buying cheaper fares on later flights and then showing up saying "my meeting ended early" and wanting to get on. When it truly happens, it's ok. When you see the same elites on the same routes doing it religiously, makes you think why DL's rules are the way they are.
First of all, welcome to Flyertalk.

Second of all, how is that abusing the system? There's no rule saying "you can only same-day standby/confirm IF you have a legitimate business interest".
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Howste
I've been told by GAs that the policy is to clear upgrades before clearing standby. Unless there are still open F seats after all upgrades clear, there is no upgrade opportunity.
Originally Posted by CMK10
First of all, welcome to Flyertalk.

Second of all, how is that abusing the system? There's no rule saying "you can only same-day standby/confirm IF you have a legitimate business interest".
Thank you!

The way I see it, when you fly a regular market often, you have an idea of the availability on those flights and when the fares creep up. When people are booking business and at midday, only above M is open, but 5 hours later, U and T are open, why not book the T and still show up for the flight earlier. Never an intention of taking the later flight and I've seen plenty that know it.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Again, so? That's the point of same day confirmed and standby, you're allowed to buy a later flight and standby for an earlier one. There's no rule saying you have to purchase only the flights you intend to fly.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CMK10
Again, so? That's the point of same day confirmed and standby, you're allowed to buy a later flight and standby for an earlier one. There's no rule saying you have to purchase only the flights you intend to fly.
+1. I often intentionally buy the latest flight of the evening to make sure if a meeting runs over, or a client wants to chat with me for a while after, or whatever else, I'll have a confirmed seat at the end of the day.

But if I wrap everything up on time and get to the airport 4 hours early, of course I'm going to attempt to SDS/SDC to an earlier flight. You could say I never intended to take the later flight, as it was always my backup and my intent was always to take the first flight I could get on to once I get to the airport.

But that's the entire point of SDS/SDC...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Jfern022
So if I have a regular meeting (say, every week or two) that usually ends at noon but sometimes runs all day, what would you recommend? If it ends at noon, I want to return on the 1 PM flight. But I won't know until around 11:55 if it's ending at noon, so I have to buy my return ticket for the worst case (and if a lot of people decide to buy tickets on all the earlier flights, I'm stuck. That's my problem.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.