Wiki Posts
Search

Lost pink-tagged bag

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
Lost pink-tagged bag

Last week I experienced something I never had before. I pink-tagged my bag upon boarding and then upon arrival my bag did not show up. I checked with the gate agent, they didn't know where my bag was. A bag handler came up and said there were two bags there that had no tags on them at all. There was another guy who couldnt find his bag as well, so it was pretty clear those two were ours.

The bag handler and GA wouldn't give the bags to us though, but asked us what our final destinations were. Both of us were at our final destinations (MSP), but they insisted the bags had to be "checked" anyway, and we could pick them up at baggage claim. They told us a specific claim number (6), but they never showed (waited 30 minutes, carousel stopped, etc). Finally, we both went to the baggage desk, explained the situation, and they brought our bags out right away. Apparently, the bags had been waiting at the desk the entire time.

As a result, Delta heard from me and I got 7,500 skymiles as comp. Seems pretty good to me.

However, I'm wondering if checking my bag when I've already arrived at my final destination is normal? What was wrong with just giving me my bag at the gate? Has anyone had a similar experience?
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Did you have luggage tag w/name on the bag? I can imagine (no experience w/this) that they have to let the desk handle bags that can't be definitively identified at the gate due to liability/safety/security issues... but that does sound like an odd and frustrating issue.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without a tag, DL has no way of knowing whether your bag was checked (and therefore subject to rules for checked luggage screening) or gate-checked (and therefore subject to those rules).

By way of example, you could put a machete in a checked bag and not be required as you would with a firearm, to specially declare it. But, you could not carry that same machete through the checkpoint in your hand luggage.

If DL returned the untagged bag to you planeside and it contained such an item, you would then be on the sterile side of security with a prohibited item.

All ties go to sending the bag to the non-sterile side of the checkpoint, in this case baggage claim.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
This is my worst nightmare; thanks for justifying my monthly fight with the GA/FA to let me bring my Rimowa onboard the CRJs (yes it fits great, even on the 200)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Ok, reasoning makes sense. I just would think that if two people are waiting, two bags dont have tags, it's probably pretty clear that the bags were pink-tagged and the tags fell off, and the owners are the people waiting. How could the bags have gotten down there to begin with? However, I understand their perspective.

I will admit, too, that my pink-tag was not new, but rather a little "worn", and so that probably contributed to the situation. Yes, frustrating to spend an hour after arrival trying to get my carry-on bag. Wasn't the end of the world, though, and 7,500 skymiles is pretty nice compensation.

CPMaverick, glad I could help
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:10 am

Slightly different situation, but once when I lived in RNO I flew home with a checked bag. Instead of heading straight down to the carousel, I stopped to take care of a couple things. By the time I made it down there, most of the bags were off, the belt was stopped, and an OO worker (DL's RNO ops are run entirely by OO staff) had a big cart out and was gathering up the bags.

I saw mine sitting on the belt and went to get it, but I was sternly informed that I could not pick it up myself, I had to wait for her to get all the bags loaded onto the cart, then follow the OO staffer into the baggage office to claim it. I pointed out that for 20 or so minutes, the bag was on the belt with no supervision at all, and anyone could have walked up and grabbed the bag and walked off with it, so what difference did it make now? She claimed that because she had started picking up the bags, it would now be her fault if it was taken by the wrong person.

Perfect CYA logic!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: DL PM
It's happened to me before, minus the 7500 mile compensation.

The scary scenario is you valet check your bag on your first flight. Tag falls off, bag goes to baggage claim at your connecting hub. Bag never shows up at the valet pickup, you have a short layover--what do you do? Exit security, retrieve the bag and miss your flight, or leave the bag behind?

I know a lot of FTers go on and on about how you should *never* check a bag, but for this very reason I always check my bag if I'm on an RJ and I have a short layover.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Often1
Without a tag, DL has no way of knowing whether your bag was checked (and therefore subject to rules for checked luggage screening) or gate-checked (and therefore subject to those rules).

By way of example, you could put a machete in a checked bag and not be required as you would with a firearm, to specially declare it. But, you could not carry that same machete through the checkpoint in your hand luggage.

If DL returned the untagged bag to you planeside and it contained such an item, you would then be on the sterile side of security with a prohibited item.

All ties go to sending the bag to the non-sterile side of the checkpoint, in this case baggage claim.
^^^^ never thought of this!
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
I will admit, too, that my pink-tag was not new, but rather a little "worn", and so that probably contributed to the situation.
I always grab a fresh pink tag. Having to hike down to baggage claim sucks, and having to do that when I have a connection (which I do a lot) would royally suck.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:59 am
Original Poster

to clarify, they were willing to check it through to my final destination if MSP was not it. MSP was it, though, so it seemed all the more absurd at the time (yet makes sense in retrospect)
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
This..

Originally Posted by Often1

One night at IAD on a short UX-UA connection I was standing out in the rain on the tarmac and they never brought my bag around. When I asked, they found the bag but thought that because it had an old checked-bag tag on it (as well as a gate-check tag) that it was part of the checked luggage. They were going to make me check it through because "we don't know what you put in there and if it's allowed in the terminal", but i was able to show them that the bag tag was over a year old and the printed destination was the origin of the flight I had just gotten off. Now I always take my old tags off if I am gate checking.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:25 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
My coworker and I rode together on a CRJ from SFO to LAX, but his pink-tag bag didn't show up. He went to the baggage office and we waited while they searched the plane twice, no bag was found. After some phone calls they said they found the bag. It had an old (2 weeks) bar code on the side from being checked from LHR to ORD. They apparently scanned the tag and were about to ship it to ORD again. Didn't seem like a lot of common sense involved there, since the origin of our flight was SFO.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by lovecabo
My coworker and I rode together on a CRJ from SFO to LAX, but his pink-tag bag didn't show up. He went to the baggage office and we waited while they searched the plane twice, no bag was found. After some phone calls they said they found the bag. It had an old (2 weeks) bar code on the side from being checked from LHR to ORD. They apparently scanned the tag and were about to ship it to ORD again. Didn't seem like a lot of common sense involved there, since the origin of our flight was SFO.
Which is easily avoided by taking a new tag. Now that carriers are scanning these tags, it's like leaving an old checked bag tag on.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:42 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Had a similar experience in IAH. Pink tag fell off and so was not delivered plane-side. It was the only bag without a tag so they brought it to me in the terminal. Was a little surprised by that but didn't complain (I left my machete at home that trip).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.