Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Medallion Access to Virgin Australia Club on DJ Domestic Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2013, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,

Hi All,

Does anyone have experience accessing the VA Lounges in SYD or MEL while flying on a DJ domestic itinerary? The "lounge access" section of this site: http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...lta-air-lines/
seems to suggest it should be possible as Medallion Gold, but some quick searching of FT doesn't seem to uncover any success stories.

Cheers ^
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by avsrock90
Hi All,

Does anyone have experience accessing the VA Lounges in SYD or MEL while flying on a DJ domestic itinerary? The "lounge access" section of this site: http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en...lta-air-lines/
seems to suggest it should be possible as Medallion Gold, but some quick searching of FT doesn't seem to uncover any success stories.

Cheers ^
As a DM I have had no problems.
As a GM you are Sky Team+ but I don't think DJ recognize that.
Give it a go, look confident and see how it goes.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 4:06 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Hi All,

Cheers ^
Delta Gold status is good for lounge access for the member and a guest in the VA lounges, all of which are in the domestic terminals. I access it every time I fly and they never blink; it's routine. Be sure you have your Delta Gold card (though recent VA boarding passes have stated "partner Gold" too).

I also used the Sydney lounge premium kerbside entry last week; dedicated security checkpoint with direct access from the kerb (curb) to the lounge. Very nice.

Originally Posted by dean1121
As a DM I have had no problems.
As a GM you are Sky Team+ but I don't think DJ recognize that.
Give it a go, look confident and see how it goes.
Sky Team status is irrelevant. Delta Gold, Platinum, or Diamond status is good for lounge access (as is Sky Club membership) through a bilateral agreement between DL and VA.

Also note that the DJ code has been retired; Virgin Australia domestic and international operations are all VA now.

See, eg, this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ge-access.html
Old Apr 9, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: Delta GM, AMEX Reserve
I was just over there. Used my Medallion Card and got waived in at every club I visited. Also you can use your medallion card for priority check in and boarding even though there are no signs for it over there.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Delta Gold status is good for lounge access for the member and a guest in the VA lounges, all of which are in the domestic terminals. I access it every time I fly and they never blink; it's routine. Be sure you have your Delta Gold card (though recent VA boarding passes have stated "partner Gold" too).

I also used the Sydney lounge premium kerbside entry last week; dedicated security checkpoint with direct access from the kerb (curb) to the lounge. Very nice.
Excellent. Am I likely to be harassed if I try to prove my status with the DL app on my phone (my Medallion card is sitting in a mailbox in Colorado)? Worst case scenario, I'm a guinea pig and can report back to FT.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 5:23 pm

Excellent. Am I likely to be harassed if I try to prove my status with the DL app on my phone (my Medallion card is sitting in a mailbox in Colorado)? Worst case scenario, I'm a guinea pig and can report back to FT.
I got in with a printout showing my (30 day) SkyClub membership, back before I made Gold. However, Delta has since changed the rules to explicitly say that's not good enough. I've never tried to access as a Gold without my Gold card. Worth a try with a printout or electronic indication of your status; I suspect you'll be fine, but obviously no guarantees.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 6:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
I got in with a printout showing my (30 day) SkyClub membership, back before I made Gold. However, Delta has since changed the rules to explicitly say that's not good enough. I've never tried to access as a Gold without my Gold card. Worth a try with a printout or electronic indication of your status; I suspect you'll be fine, but obviously no guarantees.
To report back, I got in with absolutely no troubles by showing the digital card from the Delta App on my phone. The agent also said an email demonstrating the status would have sufficed. Nice lounge in MEL. Smaller, though better (imo) than QF. Liked that there was a Barista at 7pm on a Saturday.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Plat
On a related note, I'll (DL PM) be travelling VA domestic coach with wife and kid (no status). Reading through, VA' policy for its own Velocity Plat/Gold members, it permits 1 adult companion PLUS kids. DL's policy of course is for 1 companion - with no additional allowance for kids. So, has anyone had experience being allowed or denied to VA domestic lounges with spouse + kids?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:43 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by gmttr1
On a related note, I'll (DL PM) be travelling VA domestic coach with wife and kid (no status). Reading through, VA' policy for its own Velocity Plat/Gold members, it permits 1 adult companion PLUS kids. DL's policy of course is for 1 companion - with no additional allowance for kids. So, has anyone had experience being allowed or denied to VA domestic lounges with spouse + kids?
No experience as such, but you're likely to be fine (assuming that when you say "kids" you mean younger children and not teenagers). VA counts 12 and under as children; 13 and higher will count as a companion.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
No luck at SYD for Virgin Australia Lounge

This week, I was refused access to Virgin Australia lounge in SYD international terminal (VA uses the NZ lounge, as does Delta) when flying SYD-AKL, and likewise on AKL-SYD.

I showed the VA folks the webpage suggesting complementary access, but no dice. Am I missing something here?
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by spc354
This week, I was refused access to Virgin Australia lounge in SYD international terminal (VA uses the NZ lounge, as does Delta) when flying SYD-AKL, and likewise on AKL-SYD.

I showed the VA folks the webpage suggesting complementary access, but no dice. Am I missing something here?
It's not uncommon for an airline to not extend access at contracted lounges to partner elites. When I was flying out of SYD, my PM card got me in to the domestic lounge and te fact that I was flying J got me into the international NZ lounge.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: DL Platinum, QF, VA, AA, UA, US, SQ, EK, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Fairmont
Originally Posted by spc354

Here's how I understand it (perhaps @ashill or others could correct me if I am mistaken):

If you are flying in Y (not F or J):

- DL Gold, Plat and Diamond medallions have access to NZ lounge only when flying on DL-ticketed itinerary as SkyTeam Elite.

- When flying on VA-ticketed itineraries, DL Gold, Plat and Diamond medallions only have access to VA-owned lounges under the bilateral agreement between DL and VA. This bilateral agreement does not extend to contract lounges, e.g., the NZ lounge in SYD International, the SQ lounge in SIN, etc.

But as DL medallions, you do get access to VA's very nice Premium Lounge at SYD domestic (T2) when flying on VA-ticketed domestic itinerary.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Originally Posted by jykt
Here's how I understand it (perhaps @ashill or others could correct me if I am mistaken):

- DL Gold, Plat and Diamond medallions have access to NZ lounge only when flying on DL-ticketed itinerary as SkyTeam Elite.

- When flying on VA-ticketed itineraries, DL Gold, Plat and Diamond medallions only have access to VA-owned lounges under the bilateral agreement between DL and VA. This bilateral agreement does not extend to contract lounges, e.g., the NZ lounge in SYD International, the SQ lounge in SIN, etc.

But as DL medallions, you do get access to VA's very nice Premium Lounge at SYD domestic (T2) when flying on VA-ticketed domestic itinerary.
Yes. These have been my experiences as well.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jykt

- DL Gold, Plat and Diamond medallions have access to NZ lounge only when flying on DL-ticketed operated itinerary as SkyTeam Elite.

- When flying on VA-ticketed operated itineraries, DL Gold, Plat and Diamond medallions only have access to VA-owned lounges under the bilateral agreement between DL and VA. This bilateral agreement does not extend to contract lounges, e.g., the NZ lounge in SYD International, the SQ lounge in SIN, etc.

But as DL medallions, you do get access to VA's very nice Premium Lounge at SYD domestic (T2) when flying on VA-ticketed operated domestic itinerary.
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
Yes. These have been my experiences as well.
Almost exactly right. See ticketed -> operated switch, which I'm 80% sure is correct.

And the construction on the SYD lounge is finally finished after several months, making it even nicer.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
No problems at all. Waved in with wife and staff was very nice.

Very nice lounge in SYD BTW.

Relaxing and good food....DL take note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.