DC-9 availability: September 2013

Old Apr 8, 13, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
DC-9 availability: September 2013

A question for those in the know. Will the DC-9s still be around in September?

If so, does anyone know from which hubs and on which city pairs? Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 13, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Schwann View Post
A question for those in the know. Will the DC-9s still be around in September?

If so, does anyone know from which hubs and on which city pairs? Thanks!
From what I understand it will be.

As far as cities, it changes with the schedules rather frequently, but I see it on a lot of routes from hubs to medium large cities on flights from 30 mins to 2 hours, which does not narrow it down much.
Old Apr 8, 13, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL tends to use MDs out of some hubs like MSP and DC-9s from others, such as SLC. It might be easier to look with this in mind.
Old Apr 8, 13, 8:34 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
DL tends to use MDs out of some hubs like MSP and DC-9s from others, such as SLC. It might be easier to look with this in mind.
There are no DC-9's based out of SLC. They are currently based mostly out of ATL with a few flights out of DTW. By September, there will probably still be a few left, but I believe they will be down to the ATL base only
Old Apr 8, 13, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
There are no DC-9's based out of SLC. They are currently based mostly out of ATL with a few flights out of DTW. By September, there will probably still be a few left, but I believe they will be down to the ATL base only
Is this recent? I remember hearing that at the time of the merger, the DC-9s from MSP were moved to SLC.
Old Apr 8, 13, 8:48 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Is this recent? I remember hearing that at the time of the merger, the DC-9s from MSP were moved to SLC.
No, there were never any DC-9's based out of SLC. SLC got a significant number of A319/A320's flights after the merger, but no DC-9's.
Old Apr 8, 13, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks. Will take a look at the schedules.
Old Apr 8, 13, 9:39 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
They tend to be in the rotation between ATL & SAV, just to help narrow down your options.
Old Apr 8, 13, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PRWeezer View Post
They tend to be in the rotation between ATL & SAV, just to help narrow down your options.

Hmm. Mostly A319s for SAV in September! These things change so I don't think I'll go out my way for now.
Old Apr 8, 13, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: 6000 ft altitude below the LIBERTY 5 departure from KEWR
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Schedule (as of right now) for September: this is always subject to change:

ATL-AVL 1x/day
ATL-BNA 5x/day
ATL-CHA 1x/day
ATL-CLE 1x/day
ATL-ECP 4x/day
ATL-GSO 7x/day
ATL-GSP 2x/day
ATL-HSV 4x/day
ATL-JAN 1x/day
MEM-DTW 2x/day

Given that MEM-DTW doesn't get back to ATL somehow, there will inevitably be tweaks made to the schedule; if MEM-DTW stays, it'd likely be via MEM-ATL.
Old Apr 8, 13, 11:54 am

Programs: DL KM, B6 Faux-saic, Bonvoy Gold, RHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Natl Exec, Avis PC, Greyhound Road Rwds
The DC-9s are supposed to stick around through early January 2014, from what I understand.

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
No, there were never any DC-9's based out of SLC. SLC got a significant number of A319/A320's flights after the merger, but no DC-9's.
DC-9s, AFAIK, were never operated out of SLC. The high field elevation and hot temperatures in the summer made them nearly impossible to operate remotely efficiently from here and go any reasonable distance, due to the old-school tech of the P&W JT8Ds. This is the same reason we never get MD-88s. SLC used to be a MD-90 base though (MD-90 engines, the IAE V2500, can also be found on A320s with other airlines).

-J.
Old Apr 8, 13, 12:02 pm

[QUOTE=mersk862;20556286]Schedule (as of right now) for September: this is always subject to change:

ATL-AVL 1x/day
/QUOTE]

The AVL flight departs for ATL around 8:00 AM and returns to AVL around 7:15 PM.

It is costly, however, with today's price for a one day turn on September 17, in either direction > $600.00.
Old Apr 8, 13, 12:09 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
ATL-GSO 7x/day
Ah, just like the good old days. Note to self - do a lot of flying in September....
Old Apr 10, 13, 3:28 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by jzweighaft View Post
The DC-9s are supposed to stick around through early January 2014, from what I understand...
According to the FO of a recent D95 flight I had, the final flight will be January 8. I have no idea what that flight will be, nor did I have the presence of mind to ask at the time, as I was disturbed by the fact that it turned out my first DL DC-9 flight (on a -30) occurred before the FO was born!

But, the MD-88s and -90s will be around for awhile with the glass cockpit conversions they're going to be undergoing, which will not be a cheap conversion as the old steam gauge primary flight instruments will be pulled in favor of glass; two glass PFDs per pilot.

If I get more info on the D95 retirement schedule, I'll keep everyone posted.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: