Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I was blind...but now I see!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-forecast.html
... AS is also a good program for DL Hub captives. Capture on AA and DL flights and use on AA for better award options. ...
in my case, DC scarcely qualifies as "DL hub captive," but the more I look at AS the more attractive it is starting to seem ... over the years I've passed up some decent AA fares to stay with DL, but diminished UG rates and the recent spate of program changes that have been cussed and discussed at length on this board are giving me some pause
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
OP, did you check the Delta fares just one time? It's been my experience that Delta's fares very widely day to day and even intra-day. For example, a few weeks ago I bought two first-class (or whatever Delta calls it) tickets SYR-MAD for just over $2,400 each. The previous day the identical ticket was priced at $4,600. Later in the day that I bought the tickets the fare was $3,600. I've seen this crazy fluctuation occur many times. I've learned from experience what the best fare that I can expect is and check multiple times a day until it pops up. Then I grab it. It's time consuming but works for me.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Yes the fluctuations are crazy. We use Kayak and will often rely on the wait or buy advice they list. Is there an app that can check in real time for changes?
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:15 am
mdb

Originally Posted by bubbashow
'

I could type that I just purchased 4 x 11,000 tickets to PVG and that offset your purchase. I didn't. However, this is the internet, and anyone can type anything.
Insightful - thanks for proving that last bit
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:18 am
mdb

FWIW - my son flies out of PHX and has a 70% upgrade rate on US air as silver....

Likely that will diminish with the merger, but he is very happy with their hard product
Old Apr 4, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Is there an app that can check in real time for changes?
Good question. I don't know the answer. Such an app would be very useful.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Maps - sounds like you are making sound business decisions and making your point with your wallet. That is so much better than whining about it as you continue to fly.....

I think you are doing the right thing... you benefit, you are allowing your employee's to benefit and hopefully JUST hopefully DL will take note. If enough people do what you are doing they will.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:07 am
mdb

Originally Posted by mapsgl
Hi Bubba. Glad you have such an interest in a Michigan business!

To answer your question...

When we have a critical customer meeting or presenting for new business I always want the team in the day before. Anything can happen. MX WX on any airline. We factor that in.

We do same day turns on less critical meetings still allowing as much time as possible for the things that happen in the air and on the ground. We things go well and we finish early we SDC .....er "game" the system and use one the the described benefits and head back.
Bubba don't care - only if it can help him defend his precious
Old Apr 4, 2013, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mdb
Bubba don't care - only if it can help him defend his precious
I suspect you left a word off the end of your sentence (perhaps, "airline"), but the construction "his precious" served to remind this Lord of the Rings fan that it is time to dig out my paperbacks and start re-reading... I do this about once per decade. Always a fun read.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Apr 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm Reason: clarify
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-forecast.html

mapsgl it looks like yours, mine and others decisions have started to have a material effect on Delta's financials.

I have been using Spirit from ATL-DFW with no issues the past 6 months.

AS is also a good program for DL Hub captives. Capture on AA and DL flights and use on AA for better award options.

DL needs to realize that not every flyer is a whale or 1%er and as long as there are options, most will seek the optimal financial solution.
Unfortunately they will be announcing their first profitable Q1 since 2000 so even though DL has cut the Q1 revenue forecast they still will be posting their best result in 13 years. Probably wont make them think twice about changing the strategies they have in place. This rings especially true since the competition that has seen the greatest gains over the past few years (US Air) reported flat unit revenues in march while DL actually had a positive number.

Until DL starts losing money and lagging other legacy carriers, I don't think any relief will come. Once things turn in that direction, just like the other airlines have been doing recently- DL will come back knocking at people's doors begging for their business back. That's probably a little ways down the road though.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I suspect you left a word of the end of your sentence, but the construction "his precious" served to remind this Lord of the Rings fan of this:

My Precious

Time to dig out my paperbacks and start re-reading.
So Bubbashow is really Gollum? I can totally see that.

WPBP.

David
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
So Bubbashow is really Gollum? I can totally see that.

WPBP.

David
Guess I should go back and revise my post to avoid that interpretation.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: DL DM
What I love about FT in general and this board in particular is the wide variety of thoughts, opinions and perspectives well beyond what I may come up with on my own.

Even if I may disagree at times, or see something differently, I genuinely value the broad spectrum of very experienced, helpful, constructive people who contribute their thoughts.

I have now concluded that Bubbashow is not one of them.

The OP has considered the cost to his company, the ability to get where he has to go when he needs to get there, his and his staff's comfort and condition upon arrival (well... except for the Spirit thing, but I think he's gotten the board's opinion of that... ) and even for good measure the impact his choices will have on his staff's general happiness with their benefit earning potential, and you call him myopic for not looking at Delta's motivation for creating the situation he's finding?

I say ^ to the OP, not for flying DL or not flying DL, but for having the vision to see the entire travel game as broadly as he has.

Originally Posted by bubbashow
DL has numerous corporate contracts in the DTW market. Automotive engineering between DTW and PVG is HUGE. I am one guy (not even in the automotive industry) and I know 3 that fly the route regularly for work....all in J....all on corporate contracts. DL is probably PURPOSELY pricing it high, because it already has its bets hedged on the contract side. Same with DTWICN, DTWNRT and DTW NGO. Look at the commercial traffic between the two. It goes well beyond some individual's myopic views.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
What I love about FT in general and this board in particular is the wide variety of thoughts, opinions and perspectives well beyond what I may come up with on my own.

Even if I may disagree at times, or see something differently, I genuinely value the broad spectrum of very experienced, helpful, constructive people who contribute their thoughts.

The OP has considered the cost to his company, the ability to get where he has to go when he needs to get there, his and his staff's comfort and condition upon arrival (well... except for the Spirit thing, but I think he's gotten the board's opinion of that... ) and even for good measure the impact his choices will have on his staff's general happiness with their benefit earning potential, and you call him myopic for not looking at Delta's motivation for creating the situation he's finding?

I say ^ to the OP, not for flying DL or not flying DL, but for having the vision to see the entire travel game as broadly as he has.
There are a few folks here who regard everyone else as low-spending, low-life, mileage-running, seeking everything for nothing, myopic gamers who lack any business sense and probably put their kittens in microwaves. These supercilious attitudes must help this lot find the self-esteem necessary to get through the day.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by remyontheroad

I'm sorry I don't buy into the myopic, anecdotal little world that many choose to live by....and yes, I guess what you need is what you need. However, to not realize that there are bigger things at play is ridiculous. There is a reason that hub-captive fares are high.

Get a better travel department. Deal with DL. They are wheeling and dealing right now on corporate contracts. You might be surprised what you can negotiate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.