FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Same day change with no status. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1454894-same-day-change-no-status.html)

emaij Apr 2, 2013 7:57 pm

Same day change with no status.

I'm SILVER on Delta (flame away). I have an upcoming flight and want to change the time (later on the same day). I read about same day changes at $50 but when I call I am told $150. It's a cheapo fare. Not sure the code. Is it $150 for a same day change? Are there any options if the later flight ends up relatively empty?

GenevaFlyer Apr 2, 2013 8:03 pm

Hi,

Originally Posted by emaij (Post 20526388)
I'm SILVER on Delta (flame away). I have an upcoming flight and want to change the time (later on the same day). I read about same day changes at $50 but when I call I am told $150. It's a cheapo fare. Not sure the code. Is it $150 for a same day change? Are there any options if the later flight ends up relatively empty?

Same day change, as the name says, is about changing your flight on the same day as the flight is scheduled. Right now, days ahead, you are being quoted the normal change fee.

You can call back on the day of your flight, within the 3-hour window and other parameters, which other experts will be happy to add.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Sez_Who Apr 2, 2013 8:09 pm

Sorry, the new SDC rules don't apply for Silvers, only GM+. That means a change fee which is $150.

What you can do is miss your original flt, then fly standby on the later flt. Of course, that flt may be full which means you have to pay all your own costs including hotel and meals until they can get you on another flt. Probably not a good risk.

emaij Apr 2, 2013 8:10 pm

OK. Thanks for the info. I think what I will do is keep what I have and if the plane is pretty empty on my travel day, I will check inventory and see if standby will work.

rylan Apr 2, 2013 8:18 pm

You'll have to call on the day of departure 3hrs before the flight you want and check/ask if there are seats to change then. It'll be $50 for the SDC then. Its the normal $150 fee plus fare difference if you want to make a change outside the 3hr window of the new flight.

Some cautions... since you want to change to a later flight, there is some risk that the flight you want later is full and you're stuck.

emaij Apr 2, 2013 8:22 pm

Actually the 2nd flight is 3 hours and 45 mins after the one I'm on.

rylan Apr 2, 2013 8:25 pm

Yes, so this is the situation where you'll have to miss your original flight first before you can get confirmed on the later flight that you want. I suggest checking inventory before missing your flight to make sure it looks 'safe' that you'll get on the later one.

Also give DL a call and let them know you'll be missing your flight so you can SDC. You can ask them how inventory looks for the flight you want, even though you can't switch yet.

emaij Apr 2, 2013 8:26 pm

Very helpful. Thanks.

indufan Apr 2, 2013 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20526517)
Also give DL a call and let them know you'll be missing your flight so you can SDC.

No Need.

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20526517)
You can ask them how inventory looks for the flight you want, even though you can't switch yet.

I don't think most them will tell you and they certainly aren't supposed to.

Sez_Who Apr 2, 2013 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20526475)
You'll have to call on the day of departure 3hrs before the flight you want and check/ask if there are seats to change then. It'll be $50 for the SDC then.

No, it will be $150 for the OP because he is only FO...

"Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion® members receive Same-day Travel Benefits."

Ooompa Loompa Apr 2, 2013 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 20526544)
No, it will be $150 for the OP because he is only FO...

"Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion® members receive Same-day Travel Benefits."

This is the link to Same-day travel benefits for Gold, Platinum, Diamond Medallions: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html

This is the link for same-day travel benefits for everyone else:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...l-changes.html

Under the second link it clearly states

"Service Charges
You can confirm your new flight for $50 within 3 hours of the departure time. If you are changing prior to 3 hours of the flight departure time, the standard rules of your fare will apply.

Example: If you are scheduled on a 9:00pm flight and would like to take a 7:00pm flight on the same day, you can request the same-day confirm option as early as 4:00pm. If you request a change prior to 3 hours of the flight departure time, the standard rules of your fare will apply."

rylan Apr 2, 2013 8:46 pm

Anybody can SDC. The $50 fee is waived for GM+.

Nothing wrong with asking about inventory on the flight, and nothing prevents an agent from telling you if its almost full or open. That same info is available from expertflyer.

Its not required to call and let them know you'll be missing the first flight, but I prefer to and have it documented in the PNR so in case somebody looks to cancel from a no-show, its there that it is an SDC.

Sez_Who Apr 2, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20526613)
Anybody can SDC. The $50 fee is waived for GM+.

Nothing wrong with asking about inventory on the flight, and nothing prevents an agent from telling you if its almost full or open. That same info is available from expertflyer.

Its not required to call and let them know you'll be missing the first flight, but I prefer to and have it documented in the PNR so in case somebody looks to cancel from a no-show, its there that it is an SDC.

Thought the $50 fee was from the other thread. Agreed, it is better to call.

xliioper Apr 2, 2013 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20526475)
You'll have to call on the day of departure 3hrs before the flight you want and check/ask if there are seats to change then.

You can often SDC online and avoid the call. Given that wait times can be long on the phone for someone with no status, I would advise trying that first.

MSPeconomist Apr 2, 2013 10:44 pm

The OP should keep in mind that the SDC rules are likely to change within the next few weeks. If the flight is later than April 16 (???), new rules will apply and we think we know roughly what the new rules will be.