Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's Award Ticket Cancellation Rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt

Last week, the day before I was to fly out on a 40,000 mile award ticket on Delta, I became quite ill and called to cancel. The rep gave me the ticket number so I could either reschedule or get my miles back. She would not help me with that. I was too sick to focus on that anyway.
So today I am better and called to see if I could reschedule on the same itinerary or get the miles back. I was told that I could only do that if I had canceled 72 hours ahead of the flight and was in the hospital. Well, not all illnesses require hospitalization. I do have a doctor's certificate.
I could not call 72 hours after I canceled either as I was sick!
So do I really lose 40,000 miles? I thought I did the right thing in not infecting 2 flights of people and taking care of my health. I was the sick guy you did not want to be near on the flight.
(btw, the ticket number I was given is not recognized.)

(Sorry if wrong forum.)
Old Apr 2, 2013, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
The DL rule is, regardless of health condition at the time, no changes or cancellations within 72 hrs of travel. IOW, you would have had to make the phone call before the T-72hr mark.

You might, with a doctor's note, get Delta to make an exception, but don't count on it. If the answer is no, then you have forfeited the 40k.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Yet, when Michelle made the announcement, agents would be equipped to review and make exceptions.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16887440-post18.html

David
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, Hyatt
Delta has apparently made an exception once I submitted a doctor's statement. I am now allowed to rebook the ticket without penalty. I think!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bigman
Delta has apparently made an exception once I submitted a doctor's statement. I am now allowed to rebook the ticket without penalty. I think!
Happy to hear that DL Made an exception! Good Cust Serv move on their part.

Does Low availability need to be available or will they force like a schedule change or SDC?

Last edited by mridley2; Apr 9, 2013 at 12:02 pm Reason: additional
Old Apr 9, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL DM
They are bending the rules (nicely) to waive the penalties. They won't
oversell the flights in an inventory that is not available at the time of rebooking.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
In February, I cancelled an award that I had booked for a friend the day before travel. Was told I could rebook friend on the same itinerary at a future date, with no change fees. Called a couple days later to see if I could change the destination, and I was told that is OK too. YMMV I guess.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MarkCron
In February, I cancelled an award that I had booked for a friend the day before travel. Was told I could rebook friend on the same itinerary at a future date, with no change fees. Called a couple days later to see if I could change the destination, and I was told that is OK too. YMMV I guess.
I suspect that status and even profitability matters in determining such treatment.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that status and even profitability matters in determining such treatment.
That, but frequency of these requests is taken into consideration. It's my hope this signals they are going to a more reasonable rule of a few changes a year vs the scorched earth 72 hour rule for everyone.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Maybe, I'm on the side of the rules here.

Sickness doesn't affect the rules! Glad they accommodated you but they shouldn't have an unsold seat on a plane because you are too sick to call in or have someone else call in on your behalf. Just think sometimes we stretch the rules when we should have an accountability to adhere to them.

Unless, we don't mind a flight cancellation because the pilot decided last minute he is sick and didn't notify personnel scheduling early enough to get a replacement.
As in we say no problem and wait at the airport until the next morning without complaint.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anecdotally, DL is doing one-time waivers without asking too many questions.

The purpose of the rule was to cut down the gamers. That's accomplished by having a simple rule and then allowing a one-time exception for people who provide a credible reason.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Maybe, I'm on the side of the rules here.

Sickness doesn't affect the rules! Glad they accommodated you but they shouldn't have an unsold seat on a plane because you are too sick to call in or have someone else call in on your behalf. Just think sometimes we stretch the rules when we should have an accountability to adhere to them.

Unless, we don't mind a flight cancellation because the pilot decided last minute he is sick and didn't notify personnel scheduling early enough to get a replacement.
As in we say no problem and wait at the airport until the next morning without complaint.
My understanding is that the OP became ill within 72 hours of the flight and did call DL immediately when it became apparent that he/she was unable to travel as planned.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:22 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that the OP became ill within 72 hours of the flight and did call DL immediately when it became apparent that he/she was unable to travel as planned.
You are repeating the purpose of my posting. OP called within 24 hrs of departure. Delta RULES indicate within 72 hrs they owe you nothing. It worked out with a slightly credible excuse but a Dr.'s notes doesn't always qualify integrity.

E.g. service dogs, medical marijuana, etc.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:33 am

I have read the post above, and it sounds like it may be a customer service driven YMMV situation. Here is my situation - we have 4 domestic award tickets (Harrisburg to Tampa via Atlanta & back) that depart in two days and return in 6 days. My daughter woke up this morning and may have the flu. I have no status. We booked 40k redemptions x4 (160k + airport fees).

If I understand the rule, at most I might be able to recover half of the miles (the returns are more than 72 hours out), at the price of $600 ($150 x4). Thus converting my free trip into a $600 non-trip. Is that my baseline absent a kind rep?

If we don't go now we may be waiting like 10 months or so before we could re-book this itinerary (limited vacation opportunities).
Old Feb 13, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
I have read the post above, and it sounds like it may be a customer service driven YMMV situation. Here is my situation - we have 4 domestic award tickets (Harrisburg to Tampa via Atlanta & back) that depart in two days and return in 6 days. My daughter woke up this morning and may have the flu. I have no status. We booked 40k redemptions x4 (160k + airport fees).

If I understand the rule, at most I might be able to recover half of the miles (the returns are more than 72 hours out), at the price of $600 ($150 x4). Thus converting my free trip into a $600 non-trip. Is that my baseline absent a kind rep?

If we don't go now we may be waiting like 10 months or so before we could re-book this itinerary (limited vacation opportunities).
What's your basis for thinking that you can get half of the miles back? AFAIK the rule is that you lose all of the miles for an award ticket if you fail to cancel the outbound by 72 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.