Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay with Miles change now EARNS MQM's & RDM's if redeemed for 1st or business class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:07 pm

I like!

I think it’s brilliant. I don’t do mileage runs to get medallion status, and frankly, I get pretty frustrated when I spend thousands on Delta tickets and still find myself a Gold Medallion at a 5% upgrade rate. I used to think, ok, it’s a rare perk, at least I get to board early. Now this gives me a chance to get an upgrade on the long haul flights that I rarely ever see a chance at a comp. No offense to you mileage runners though. I’d prefer to use my miles to upgrade to first class.. I have plenty to burn.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Musicguy2012
I think it’s brilliant. I don’t do mileage runs to get medallion status, and frankly, I get pretty frustrated when I spend thousands on Delta tickets and still find myself a Gold Medallion at a 5% upgrade rate. I used to think, ok, it’s a rare perk, at least I get to board early. Now this gives me a chance to get an upgrade on the long haul flights that I rarely ever see a chance at a comp. No offense to you mileage runners though. I’d prefer to use my miles to upgrade to first class.. I have plenty to burn.
If you have 200K, that's only $2000 worth of upgrades.

As opposed to 2 business class tickets to Europe worth more than double that.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:27 pm

I don't fly to Europe. Domestic. And 200k miles is plenty, since I keep getting double miles on my flights, I spend at least 25k on my amex, and a pay-with-miles upgrade is only 5700 miles.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
You are not stepping in front of just mileage runners. If you use miles to purchase an F fare, that also puts you in front of all the Medallions looking for an upgrade. In other words, arguably the holy grail of FF benefits -- the upgrade -- is at risk now even for Diamonds.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 9:02 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
and a pay-with-miles upgrade is only 5700 miles
Isn't this generalizing a bit? For the primary route I fly, SFO-ATL, a pay-with miles-upgrade is about 150,000 miles round-trip.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't fly to Europe. Domestic. And 200k miles is plenty, since I keep getting double miles on my flights, I spend at least 25k on my amex, and a pay-with-miles upgrade is only 5700 miles.
Or $57. You're buying tickets where the difference between your fare and the cheapest available discounted FC (G, A, or P) is small. So for just a bit more money, you could have been riding in FC all along.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
To add some more confusion to the mix, I just fiddled around with a dummy booking for a little bit.

If I select a coach fare and then get to the Trip Summary screen with the PWM dropdown, under the little green box saying that if I PWM it's ineligible for mileage there are the two lines that list miles/MQM earned, as usual.

Zero PWM = full mileage, as expected.
100% PWM = zero miles; zero MQM
10k-25k PWM = full miles; zero MQM
30k-35k PWM = zero miles; zero MQM

As this is a coach fare, I know that any portion of PWM should result in zero miles/MQM, but the fact that these two lines seem to update, and only for certain PWM values, could be misleading to folks not paying attention.

And as ryanm mentioned, it's equally confusing that the green no-mileage-accrual box still pops up when booking F fares, even full-fare F.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: DL DM
I have tried this for a booking (US to Caribbean), but it's still showing 0 MQM for first/business when I select any amount of pay with miles.
Do we know if this is a confirmed change?
Thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
When is Perkchoice coming back as promised? This is a real enhancement....
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Clever move, Delta.

Clever move. DL can now increase revenue while simultaneously allowing elites with the credit card to secure a premium seat at booking time, costing both money and miles.

Better for lower tier elites who see upgrades rarely, and DL can make more money for seats that would've otherwise gone for free. While this may be seen as a negative for many, it is at least far better than what United is doing, lying to elites about upgrade priority while secretly offering cash upgrades to non-elites.

I personally love having an instantly confirmed premium seat at booking time for personal leisure travel. The price (cost and miles) won't always be worth it, but it's nice to low it's available (and still yields MQMs).

Originally Posted by rylan
This

DL will likely position it as a benefit (I'm surprised they didn't make an announcement, which makes me think its a mistake), but in reality this just is another way to burn miles and have pax 'pay' for an F seat and not give upgrades to elites.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Gold, DL Amex Platinum, Avis Preferred
Contradiction

First post from an avid reader of these forums. I called the GM line this afternoon regarding this exact issue and after an eleven minute hold was told that no MQM's would be awarded with pay with miles using my Delta Amex Platinum. So yes I did read the earlier post, and I think I need a tequila.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 11:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by JoeStocks
First post from an avid reader of these forums. I called the GM line this afternoon regarding this exact issue and after an eleven minute hold was told that no MQM's would be awarded with pay with miles using my Delta Amex Platinum. So yes I did read the earlier post, and I think I need a tequila.
First WELCOME to FT!

Next, the medallion line OFTEN has bad info as in this recent topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ght-taken.html

That Delta CORP people had to step in to correct.

The updated info is in black and white on the Delta.com page for anyone to see and fellow blogger and FT'er MJ has already taken a flight in 1st 100% with "pay with miles" and got credit (I added this to the post #1)!
Old Apr 6, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeStocks
But did you specifically ask about a PWM flight booked in First class? And, as the previous poster noted, agents very frequently have incorrect/old info and give out wrong advice. Unfortunately, you really can't rely on a single agent's opinion in the case of recent program changes.

I played with a couple sample FC bookings and when I initially select a PWM amount, the miles/MQM amount goes to zero for a second or two, and then pops back up to the full value. The odd thing is that when a select a large number for the PWM amount (from the last 2 options in the list), it stays at zero. The other odd thing is that I also see this behavior with coach class selections. At this point, I'd say you really can trust the miles/MQM listing on the booking page.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 6, 2013 at 4:55 am
Old Apr 6, 2013, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
But did you specifically ask about a PWM flight booked in First class? And, as the previous poster noted, agents very frequently have incorrect/old info and give out wrong advice. Unfortunately, you really can't rely on a single agent's opinion in the case of recent program changes.

I played with a couple sample FC bookings and when I initially select a PWM amount, the miles/MQM amount goes to zero for a second or two, and then pops back up to the full value. The odd thing is that when a select a large number for the PWM amount (from the last 2 options in the list), it stays at zero. The other odd thing is that I also see this behavior with coach class selections. At this point, I'd say you really can trust the miles/MQM listing on the booking page.
However, I would retain a copy of the page that shows the MQMs when you purchase the ticket.

Note that phone agents tend to just make up whatever to end the call quickly. Even if they know better, they sometimes make up up stuff if they think it will be faster to state the rule they believe to be wrong.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 7:58 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
well, sort of. its an option. But, I just spent 30 minutes trying to find a PWM ticket on JFK to NRT for under 560,000 miles. Even though I can redeem as little as 225,000 for a business class award ticket on JFK to NRT, the same exact itinerary if I wanted to use PWM is 560,000 miles. It seems that all PWM tickets going TPAC are 560,000 miles.

If you can find aTPAC PWM fare for under 560,000 miles, please let me know cause I can't.
Shouldn't the real price of JFK/NRT in J be 120k SkyPesos?

The water in which the frog is sitting continues to get warmer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.