Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lamont2718
+1. Think a lot of people here are forgetting that free standby is not going away for GM+.
Not forgetting at all but the idea of going to the airport a few hours early and hoping that maybe you'll be able to get on the plane and then sitting around is quite unappealing. I guess DL thinks this is worth $50 and I can't say I disagree but it is certainly a reduction in benefits.

I'll tell you something I think they should have done away with was I was once able to switch to a first out morning flight and was then offered a VDB to go back 3 hours when in reality I would have taken any of the 3 flights going out that day that were earlier.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
A 1/4 page B&W ad in USAToday that runs in LA, NYC and ATL costs about $13,000...

Just saying...
I'm in for $200.

This is by far my favourite benefit from being DM. They have ruined it with same class requirements.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:53 pm
Suspended

This pretty much ends SDC the only benefit I truly appreciate. I think if enough of us complain about this they would consider reversing the policy. Should we take our complaints to social media ?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:57 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
And thus book the flight they think they'll need or actually need. Like I said in the above post, it's no secret, as evidenced here on FT, that people will book a later flight that's significantly cheaper, knowing there's a good chance they can SDC to the earlier, more expensive flight on the day of, and save a chunk of change.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the new rules (if they're true), but merely that if that's part of the logic, then I understand the move by DL. What I think you're seeing through these "enhancements" (such as MQD and the SDC changes) is DL amending the perks so that they're used in the way they were designed to be used and remove the ways that they're taken advantage of.
You may perhaps have a point here that some people are gaming the system; whether and if this is a significant impact on the bottom line is an empirical question for which none of us has the data. Nevertheless, there still remains an operational desirability to moving people through the system earlier whenever empty seats exist and the fact that some people may be gaming the system does not change that.

And from the perspective of someone who travels on business, the inherent tendency is to book later flights because of the uncertainty associated with when one's work will be done. If you wrap up a meeting early, there is nothing more frustrating than having hours to kill until your scheduled flight leaves -- particularly when the weather starts to look iffy. And sometimes things crop up that necessitate an earlier than anticipated departure. But having to switch to a later flight can be very costly if you book too early a departure.

In the end, I suspect this is the first step back toward a system where the only fares that offer any flexibility at all are the higher fare classes. That would seem to be the natural outcome for an industry that has morphed into an oligopoly and the direction in which things seem to be headed. In that respect, this is an industry-wide issue rather than one specific to Delta.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM

Just talked to a GA. Matching Fare Bucket is confirmed.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:59 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Medeski
Does standby allow one to change routing? Ie through ATL or MSP instead of non-stop?
This was covered in the first post in the fine print. The answer is no.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:03 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eturowski
Sadly, I doubt it. DL.com says:

This looks pretty cut-and-dry - you might find a sympathetic agent, but the stated policy gives Delta an easy out.
I wonder how that can be since SDC is part of the fare rules which govern the restrictions of travel. From the fare rule:

NOTE - TEXT BELOW NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING.
STANDBY IS NOT PERMITTED.
SAME DAY CONFIRM/SDC -
PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND
TICKETS MAY CONFIRM EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY
FLIGHTS BETWEEN SAME ORIGIN/DESTINATION/
STOPOVER POINTS FOR A NON-REFUNDABLE FEE OF
USD 50.00 PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN GOVERNMENT
IMPOSED ITINERARY BASED FEES. NEW ITINERARY
MAY NOT BE CONFIRMED MORE THAN 3 HOURS PRIOR
TO DEPARTURE TIME OF NEW OUTBOUND FLIGHT. THE
NEW ITINERARY MUST BE VALID FOR THE ORIGINAL
FARE PURCHASED. EXCEPTION- IF ORIGINAL FARE
PURCHASED REQUIRES TRAVEL VIA A CONNECTING
POINT - TRAVEL VIA NON STOP SERVICE IS
PERMITTED FOR NO DIFFERENCE IN FARE.
SEE PENALTIES/VOLUNTARY CHANGES FOR COMPLETE
RULES AND RESTRICTIONS.
Nothing in there to imply that changes to the policy can be made after purchase.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by roknroll
With loads way way up, at T-3 hours you are often times lucky to just have Y available.
True, but the relevant timeframe would no longer be T-3 as it is today -- what will matter most is fare availability at 12:00am on the date of departure (or even the day before, for a red-eye flight). I think this is an important distinction because fare availability is often significantly better that many hours in advance.

Originally Posted by mattsteg
I'd much rather confirm myself from the skyclub, (or be able to grab a meal or something) and saunter over to the plane at boarding time than wait around to be cleared as a standby.

Confirmed is a big deal. I have no desire to louse around the gate area if avoidable.
Originally Posted by TurtleSVS
Not forgetting at all but the idea of going to the airport a few hours early and hoping that maybe you'll be able to get on the plane and then sitting around is quite unappealing.
Confirmed is definitely better than standby, but flyers will often be able to check fare availability in advance and predict with decent probability whether they would clear. If Y9, I would certainly relax in the SC instead of at the gate and just keep an eye on the standby list on the mobile app.

Keep in mind that the new standby experience will likely come with more certainty than we are used to: Medallions today go on standby only if the flight in question is so full that they cannot SDC onto it -- but that will not be the case after April.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by amolkold
This means no more A fare LAX-SLC-JFK trick to get onto nonstop LAX-JFK in B/E.
I don't see how that would matter anyway, doing a cursory look at fares JFK-SLC-LAX I can only find P fares at 2800 anyway which is how much D is on the non stop.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by us2
Assuming that this account is more or less accurate, this really sounds like a scheme thought up by back offiice beancounters who don't deal with the operational realities of running an airline.

Overall, what I'd expect this to do in the aggregate is to lock people more into the flights onto which they were already booked. I'm not sure that's a good outcome when capacity is restricted as much as it is.

Any time you can get a person off a later flight and on to an earlier one, you're maximizing the capacity of the system for a given day. Given the lack of excess capacity in the system generally, that should always be a win-win for both the airline and the customer. Moving a customer to an earlier flight costs essentially nothing; when a seat on an early flight goes out empty, it's gone for the day. Ideally, you'd want the latest flights to be the emptiest -- it's your last chance to get people where they're going without an overnight delay -- and a backlog that then spills over into the next day.

Unless there's transparency in availability and your place in the standby list, paying $50 to standby is buying a pig in a poke, which essentially makes it unviable for infrequent leisure travelers and FOs. On a lot of routes, you'd achieve an equal result by going into the men's room, pulling out $50 and flushing it down the toilet, especially given the inability to move from a nonstop to a connection and vice versa. This is really the case on hub to hub flights, which tend to run full.

All in all, from what I can tell, this seems like one of those brilliant MBA generated ideas that sounds good in theory (where the operative objective is extracting as much cash from the customer as possible) but downright awful operationally. I can see this backfiring as the number of VDBs and IDBs increase, because what you've done is remove flexibility to move people around by trying to pass along as a cost to passengers something that is actually desirable from an operations perspective. A $50 fee is not insignificant, especially when, in some cases, it's money that is going to be thrown away.
AMEN

Originally Posted by gooselee
Someone in the other thread also made the good point that right now, the availability of free SDC means that often pax are balancing out overbooked flights on their own, especially on elite-heavy routes, since they are taking seats that are currently unsold.

If SDC slows down/stops, and those seats remain unsold and unfilled, that increases the potential for the original flights being oversold and thus the potential for VDB/IDB.
This was my first thought too... This could backfire on Delta especially on the heavily traveled routes.

At the end of the day, this would greatly reduce my motivation to make the push for GM this year. Seems like SDC would be mostly impossibly on my usual KLUT(VX) fares.
My push was going to be for PM or DM, but this is just another nail in the Delta coffin for me.

Last edited by localady; Mar 28, 2013 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:23 pm

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i love delta, and quite honestly think they have the best product out there of the domestic majors.

however, with all of the devaluations, it makes me wonder what being a medallion is actually worth (outside of high upgrade percentages).

What are the SDC policies at the other major airlines (AA/UA)? is it all pretty much the same with only standby being free?
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I don't see how that would matter anyway, doing a cursory look at fares JFK-SLC-LAX I can only find P fares at 2800 anyway which is how much D is on the non stop.
I've seen A fares in the low $1000s roundtrip.

There was a cheap SFO-EWR rt P fare a while back that many DMs jumped on since you could SDC to JFK nonstop. Can't anymore since same fare bucket isn't available.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by andrew10412
i love delta, and quite honestly think they have the best product out there of the domestic majors.

however, with all of the devaluations, it makes me wonder what being a medallion is actually worth (outside of high upgrade percentages).

What are the SDC policies at the other major airlines (AA/UA)? is it all pretty much the same with only standby being free?
I'm not well-versed with the other big 2, but AA's is horrendous (even 100K EXP flyers have to pay for SDC though I believe standby is free).

The new Delta system will be like UA. 24 hour SDC but same fare bucket required.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Still waiting for the usual suspects to chime in and defend this......
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:55 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Still waiting for the usual suspects to chime in and defend this......
Why does one feel a need to post this? Its almost like you are trying to start a fight/flame war ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.