FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1453298-sdc-rules-change-april-16-increased-restrictions-incl-same-fare-bucket-availability.html)

DLFan2 Mar 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Might be interesting to check availability of discounted fares on common routes just to see what we are likely to encounter.

I found L3U2 on DL2355 ATL-LAX today. And L4U4T3X3 for DL 2361/1327 which connects in CMH. Nothing else in either direction for LUTX fares.
Looks bleak for SDC on discounted fares.

DLdweeb Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm

This is what you get with an oligopoly. Prices go up, choice and service levels go down.

Airlines don't have to provide better service. Why should they? Where else are you going to go?

orca15 Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by hnewman (Post 20498775)
I used SDC to get home earlier when I finished early or in advance of weather where DL would do nothing. This is a horrible move and a huge devaluation.

+1000. I don't need an UG or more MQMs...just want to get home by dinner when the meeting ends at noon on the third day instead of at 5:00. Without watching the 1:55 flight leave with 7 empty L seats, and I have a T ticket.

DLFan2 Mar 28, 2013 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by RacingJunkie (Post 20498990)
I'm tired of enhancements. Just frickin tired.

I'll hit PM this year and 2014 will be my last of flying delta exclusively. I'll go back to UA and pretend somebody cares.

I will wait for an official announcement before I begin to speculate on what I might do as a result...

FlyDeltaJets87 Mar 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by us2 (Post 20498936)
Overall, what I'd expect this to do in the aggregate is to lock people more into the flights onto which they were already booked. I'm not sure that's a good outcome when capacity is restricted as much as it is.

And thus book the flight they think they'll need or actually need. Like I said in the above post, it's no secret, as evidenced here on FT, that people will book a later flight that's significantly cheaper, knowing there's a good chance they can SDC to the earlier, more expensive flight on the day of, and save a chunk of change.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the new rules (if they're true), but merely that if that's part of the logic, then I understand the move by DL. What I think you're seeing through these "enhancements" (such as MQD and the SDC changes) is DL amending the perks so that they're used in the way they were designed to be used and remove the ways that they're taken advantage of.

DLGrkItalNY Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm

A 1/4 page B&W ad in USAToday that runs in LA, NYC and ATL costs about $13,000...

Just saying...

TTT Mar 28, 2013 2:05 pm

I would be happy with something like the following:
24 hours, same fare class, $50 regardless of status
3 hours, seat in cabin, $50 for everyone waived for GM+

SDS stays the same as in the new policy ($50 for non-elite, free for elite).

The rules, as they have been reported in this thread, are disappointing and illogical. Why wouldn't Delta want to encourage same day flight changes that help keep the operation running smoothly?

I am also disappointed that someone will now have to re-create the SDC FAQ :)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/8112518-post145.html

tvnwz Mar 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by orca15 (Post 20499039)
+1000. I don't need an UG or more MQMs...just want to get home by dinner when the meeting ends at noon on the third day instead of at 5:00. Without watching the 1:55 flight leave with 7 empty L seats, and I have a T ticket.

Then you would go Paid Standby with the fee waived and sit in that L seat. Meatloaf?

orca15 Mar 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz (Post 20499083)
Then you would go Paid Standby with the fee waived and sit in that L seat. Meatloaf?

Sure, if I know I'm getting it, but I now have a vision in my head of sitting in airports for 6 hours missing standby flights, when at least before I would have known I'm not getting it and could have gone out for a beer.

OK, OK, maybe there are ways to guess if it will be open, but up until now they were unnecessary for me to worry about. The C in SDC was the really good part.

theYipster Mar 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Having switched the majority of my flying to AA late last year, the one thing I do sometimes miss is DL's SDC policy. Of course, one reason for the switch was due to the EOS rumors and other "writing on the wall."

If this change is true, DL will be more in line with UA and AA, which have far more restrictive policies on paper. I agree that some (if not all) of the motivation for the change is to stop people from gaming the system. I keep an extremely frequent flying schedule with tons of last minute bookings, so I'm not gaming much, but I would be lying if I didn't use SDC to my strategic advantage. Best use? Coming home from Seattle last year... Bought cheapest ticket (a redeye SEA-JFK with a stop in MSP,) then bought up to first class (only $30 or so,) then SDC to the morning direct flight SEA-JFK, confirmed in first on a BE equipped 757-200!

Still, I expect top tier flyers to often get what they want with the right agent anyway. Despite AA not offering any free same day confirmed option, the EXP desk has happily confirmed me on alternate flights (even leaving from co-terminal airports) without a fee. Hopefully the Diamond Desks continues to offer a similar caliber of service on a case-by-case basis. As the saying goes -- if you don't like what you're told by an agent, call back and try a different agent. In my book, that's frequent flyer rule #1. Such an adhoc system would eliminate "strategic booking," which I speculate is the larger revenue issue, while keeping doors open for the other value aspects of the program (optimizing travel time when plans change last minute... optimizing upgrade odds...)

RobOnLI Mar 28, 2013 2:26 pm

If the rules listed in the original post of this thread wind up being true then United is the clear winner with SDC.

There were arguments all day long about the pros/cons of UA's vs DL's SDC policy. But if DL really does go to a "same fare bucket" SDC option then UA wins hands down as they are available at the 24 hour mark while DL is only at the 3 hour mark.

-RM

eturowski Mar 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by GatorBlues (Post 20498598)
From the "loyalty" perspective, my only criticism would be that they should not have implemnted this change until 1/1/14. It's not right to diminish the benefits after your medallions stuck with Delta all of last year to make status.

No kidding. I was 7K miles away from making GM last year. I'm glad I took the rollover instead - SDC was one of the biggest things I was looking forward to. I'll easily hit GM this summer, but it looks like the only thing I really have coming is SkyPriority.

iamhereandthere Mar 28, 2013 2:41 pm

If the changes come to pass as described, I will be ending my loyalty to Delta. Posters above have dismissed others making similar statements but this is the final deal breaker. I can find better prices, schedules, service, policies etc. by looking at other carriers, and blending loyalty between a few instead of one. Monday is a good example, I have an A fare booked but it's at the end of the workday. If I'm done early, under the proposed rules, A has to be available on the day of departure for me to switch to an earlier flight.

I'm not gaming anything, I already have a seat in the front. I just want an earlier flight. Now they've made in 10x harder to make that happen. Taking away the benefits and flexibility...I think I'll look at other airlines who, after said changes occur, have equal or better benefits and probably offer cheaper fares or better schedules.

A couple of days ago I was trying to decide whether to stick with DL or go to US. Booking a seat in first class, DL was 2 segments and $100 more vs US nonstop. Loyalty kept me with Delta. We'll see, but that might be the last time that happens. Too bad I re-upped the SC membership for my other half in Feb. That might be wasted money come next year.

Ti22 Mar 28, 2013 2:43 pm

ITA Matrix is your friend.

Obviously, DELTA is not.....

howtofreetravel Mar 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by orca15 (Post 20499039)

Well you could standby for it?