Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Old Apr 8, 13, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by nycatl View Post
LT,

So, at T-one week, would you bet, for, or, against, an implementation of the new SDC next Tuesday? If not, by the end of April??
I'd bet next week. Phone agents will recite the new language on request - quickly adding it's all subject to change and that DL's official email is "coming soon."
Old Apr 8, 13, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
I'd bet next week. Phone agents will recite the new language on request - quickly adding it's all subject to change and that DL's official email is "coming soon."
Really crappy for DL to not give customers a heads up that SDC rules are changing. My guess is an email will be out tomorrow which would at least give people a 1 week notice on changes.

But since we know DL is all about honesty, integrity and mutual respect so i'm sure they'll be absolutely 100% crystal clear on upcoming changes. no doubt!
Old Apr 8, 13, 4:00 pm

A friend of mine that works in the Sky Club said this was supposed to be announced last week (Wednesday). His impression was that Diamond Medallion members will still be granted exceptions to the rules of the program (like the co-terminal change) and overall it wouldn't matter if you are a Diamond. Not sure how true this is.
Old Apr 8, 13, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs View Post
Because it is a desire to be an atagonist, not offer constructive or helpful opinions or advice.
^^^
Old Apr 8, 13, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by g2gtrading View Post
A friend of mine that works in the Sky Club said this was supposed to be announced last week (Wednesday). His impression was that Diamond Medallion members will still be granted exceptions to the rules of the program (like the co-terminal change) and overall it wouldn't matter if you are a Diamond. Not sure how true this is.
The crazy stupid part is that the rules become overly complicated that not even a good GA will be able to sort it out. The other crazy stupid is - you NEVER get back an empty seat once it leaves the gate. I would think that most SDCs are from later to earlier flights, not the other way around. Wouldn't it be to your advantage, Delta, to take excess capacity and slide it forward throughout the day?
Old Apr 8, 13, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Bama, have you ever been in the first couple rows of a mainline AA aircraft? They don't give it away to anyone except EXP and it is an infinitely-better experience.

Most on here wouldn't dream of actually paying for F. Some of us do. When we are paying a premium and see that it is being cheapened to satisfy egos created through a marketing scheme, it is disheartening.
I have seen FC on some of AA'S domestic fleet!!! If you think it's fabulous, you pay for it.....

The food is marginally better on some AA flights, but with the removal of ovens on many planes, I do not see DL re-investing in FC meals domestically.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:13 pm

I doubt many here regard themselves as LVC's.

Time to define the term with something other than shock-jock boilerplate.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LegalTender View Post
I doubt many here regard themselves as LVC's.
That may be the disconnect between what DL is doing and what posters are thinking. It is always good to look in the mirror and evaluate.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:28 pm

They are on with spend. They are tracking costs. To calculate on RPM would deliver a perfect loyalty program.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 10, 13 at 12:15 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
They are on with spend. They are tracking costs. To calculate on RPM would deliver a perfect loyalty program.
That is the easy variable. NW had that 15 years ago and rated each flyer. Unless you were being facetious. Sorry if I missed it.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 10, 13 at 12:15 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:42 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Originally Posted by mridley2 View Post
Really crappy for DL to not give customers a heads up that SDC rules are changing. My guess is an email will be out tomorrow which would at least give people a 1 week notice on changes.

But since we know DL is all about honesty, integrity and mutual respect so i'm sure they'll be absolutely 100% crystal clear on upcoming changes. no doubt!
And that's where the real "gaming" is going on; Delta is the true "gaming" entity here.

Since I pay for virtually all my own flights, I pay for the cheapest flight I can find ex one of 4 airports in FL to one of 6 in upstate NY and ditto reversed. If necessary and eceonomically sensible, I can score cheap one way car rentals for repositioning. I usually book 2-3 months ahead, since my schedule is fairly consistent, and I can recognize a challenging travel period well in advance. If on DL I keep the purchase to the same day as my "real" travel plan, but avoid the smaller airports if no good match, due to the sometime difficulty of standby, my last resort. If on UA (which I prefer for a number of reasons) I will book something that allows, at least for now, use of their brilliant and predictably usable +/- 24 hour window. Does that make me a gamer? In the inexpensive NY-FLA market, I'm clearly an LVC. But the label does not matter; to me, it's merely enlightened self-interest.

If DL effectively upends published SDC or standby rules for tickets I purchased under different, published, SDC and standby rules (which I believe form part of our contract), I have a big problem with their gaming the customer, changing the contract after purchase. Can I change my mind on my reservations at will, without penalty? Don't be silly... why should the other party to the contract be permitted to unilaterally discard contract terms? IANAL, but I doubt they can, without penalty.

Upgrades? Yippee... honestly could not care less; actually, the more interesting people tend to be in coach. If necessary, I'll stop blocking B6 and FL from my ITA searches.. never had a problem with their standby system and I can get where I'm going sooner on their direct flights.

At the end of the day I don't need DL, and I doubt DL needs me. Ability to SDC and/or standby to an open seat in any cabin with the aid of some stable set of non fee rules is perhaps the biggest component of all my airfare purchase decisions.

I'll pay to change my flights to a different same day flight when an airline will pay me for delays and diversions.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
No, it wouldn't. Those are all rear view metrics. While they have some use, that is nowhere near what you'd need to run a perfect loyalty program. As anyone who runs a metrics-driven organization will tell you (or rather, anyone who runs a metrics-driven organization well)... don't spend so much time looking in the rear view mirror that you run off the road.

The other thing anybody who works with big data will tell you... for it to be of any use, data needs to be contextualized. A wise man once told me... "don't use [metrics/statistics] like a drunk uses a lamppost."

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 10, 13 at 12:16 am Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
No, it wouldn't. Those are all rear view metrics. While they have some use, that is nowhere near what you'd need to run a perfect loyalty program. As anyone who runs a metrics-driven organization will tell you... don't spend so much time looking in the rear view mirror that you run off the road.
Exactly!! ^^
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:52 pm

I'll pay to change my flights to a different same day flight when an airline will pay me for delays and diversions

Do you prefer they fly you right into thunderstorms?

It is an honest question. If they divert, it costs DL tons of money already, it is all done for safety. I was curious why you thought you should be paid for it? YOU typed it...I didn't. I was just curious about your frame of reference. Perhaps I am missing something?

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 10, 13 at 12:17 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 8, 13, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
It is an honest question. If they divert, it costs DL tons of money already, it is all done for safety. I was curious why you thought you should be paid for it?
Bubba, I actually agree with much of what you say, whether I'm an HVC or not (and believe me, I'm not). But to compare DL making a day-of decision to divert for safety (due to weather or whatever) to DL changing the rules for SDC is insane. If DL wants to change the rules for SDC, they have that right and from a business sense, I don't necessarily disagree with some of the changes. But DL does owe more advance notice to customers who bought a ticket with certain understandings and expectations, and that's not in any way comparable to a weather delay.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: