Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
AA's product was so great it landed them in the Chapter 11. there's another great debacle on the horizon that will take years to get running smoothly.
Pretty much describes every major in the sky today.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Is your vision of a perfect SkyMiles program one where someone cannot access UGs by qualifying at a higher program level by making cheap MRs to, say, IST? ... and then brag about it?
I believe that is pretty close to the vision of DL Management @:-)
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Bubbashow, I've asked you before, and will ask you again since you keep saying it. Why do you believe that the DL management would take one red cent from the bottom line (and their bonuses) to improve domestic F unless they absolutely had to to remain competitive? I just don't see it.
Do you not see the investments Delta has been making in the lobby experience? The gate houses? Aircraft?

ATL F, JFK T4, LAX T5, LGA, MSP F, SEA S.... Things like power poles. A steady remodel of the SkyClubs. Wifi in EVERY aircraft with an F cabin. Cabin refreshes. Training staff about HVCs. Lots of IT stuff happening in the background to improve staff ability to handle customers quickly and efficiently. There are many more examples. Delta is indeed investing in its product. As DL management have taken a risk in taking a few cents from their current bottom line to make these investments, I believe they will pay off.

The payoff will likely involve attracting more high-paying customers, which will displace some low-spend FT'ers and I think the tone of this forum reflects that is already happening.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:52 pm

Sunsetted privileges and new fees are financial offsets.

The claim that they're ultimately destined "to create a more exclusive elite experience" has no factual basis.

Any more than when AT&T slaps a new $1.76 fee on my monthly wireless bill, I experience better cell service.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender
Sunsetted privileges and new fees are financial offsets.

The claim that they're ultimately destined "to create a more exclusive elite experience" has no factual basis.

Any more than when AT&T slaps a new $1.76 fee on my monthly wireless bill, I experience better cell service.
I do know that at DTW, I will often go to standard security because SkyPriority is 3x as long. ANYTHING DL is doing to thin the herd is needed and welcome in my book. UG lists shouldn't be 1/2 the plane.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by bubbashow
...ANYTHING DL is doing to thin the herd is needed and welcome in my book. UG lists shouldn't be 1/2 the plane.
I certainly agree with this. On a recent flight ATL-LAX, I was something like #19 on an upgrade list numbering 78 people. That's just insane. The 757 holds something like 190 people. And for me to be #19 was pretty surprising, too. My low fare probably explains that.

Bruce
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Do you not see the investments Delta has been making in the lobby experience? The gate houses? Aircraft?

ATL F, JFK T4, LAX T5, LGA, MSP F, SEA S.... Things like power poles. A steady remodel of the SkyClubs. Wifi in EVERY aircraft with an F cabin. Cabin refreshes. Training staff about HVCs. Lots of IT stuff happening in the background to improve staff ability to handle customers quickly and efficiently. There are many more examples. Delta is indeed investing in its product. As DL management have taken a risk in taking a few cents from their current bottom line to make these investments, I believe they will pay off.

The payoff will likely involve attracting more high-paying customers, which will displace some low-spend FT'ers and I think the tone of this forum reflects that is already happening.
Exactly. Couldn't agree more. DL is leading the way among US carriers in product investment and that means the end of low-fare paying, high-benefit mooching. Was fun while it lasted.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

Originally Posted by nfg05
Exactly. Couldn't agree more. DL is leading the way among US carriers in product investment and that means the end of low-fare paying, high-benefit mooching. Was fun while it lasted.
For sure. I've been saying for quite a while now that the actual flight experience doesn't differ dramatically from one major U.S. carrier to another (DL, UA, AA). They fly basically the same airplanes by the same rules. How different can it be?

The story on the ground is another matter altogether. That's where you see real differences. And Delta's gigantic investments in ground facilities -- both major and minor things, from completely new terminals to power strips -- set Delta apart and at the head of the class. Considering that I spend almost as much time in airport terminals as in airplanes, this matters a lot to me. And Delta remains my primary airline, despite the fact that they continue to nibble away at certain valuable benefits, like the Skymiles program.

Bruce
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I do know that at DTW, I will often go to standard security because SkyPriority is 3x as long. ANYTHING DL is doing to thin the herd is needed and welcome in my book. UG lists shouldn't be 1/2 the plane.
Pay for GE and you can use the TSA precheck lane at DTW. Since DTW has put precheck in, it's very easy to clear security as long as you get the three beeps.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM

Yes, I see those. I think those were very good business strategies and am thrilled DL is implementing them. Moving to the head of the pack in some cases. And in the area of IT, at least begin to try to get on equal footing with the UA and AA/US. I am agnostic to the FF program changes (with the exception of not being able to will miles--which I seriously dislike, but certainly understand the motivation) since I am lucky enough to fly paid first.

Bubba seems to expect DL will immediately upgrade the inflight dining options after they cull the LVC and gamers from the herd. Unless one of the other Big Two rolls out something extra special domestic systemwide, I personally don't see DL rushing to upgrade their inflight domestic meals any time soon. Maybe my view is an outlier and taints my opinion. When I decide which airline to book, what they serve for food is the last thing I consider. I can't be alone in that. Thus my thought is improving the domestic FC meal experience would be near the bottom of the list of DL improvements. I am sure you are much more dialed into DL's plans, so hopefully I am completely off base, and Bubba is correct that better meals are on the way asap.

Edit to add: Let me clarify/simplify--I do think DL will spend money--just not on food options any time soon. I personally think they should continue to spend the money on more important items like training and IT and hope they do that first.

Last edited by BamaGirl; Apr 7, 2013 at 2:37 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Pay for GE and you can use the TSA precheck lane at DTW. Since DTW has put precheck in, it's very easy to clear security as long as you get the three beeps.
He's already a Plat, no need to pay for GE to use Pre-Check.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
^

We can only hope. Improve domestic F!
What makes you think DL will invest one dime in improving the FC product?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Yes, I see those.

Bubba seems to expect DL will immediately upgrade the inflight dining options after they cull the LVC and gamers from the herd. Unless one of the other Big Two rolls out something extra special domestic systemwide, I personally don't see DL rushing to upgrade their inflight domestic meals any time soon. Maybe my view is an outlier and taints my opinion. When I decide which airline to book, what they serve for food is the last thing I consider. I can't be alone in that. Thus my thought is improving the domestic FC meal experience would be near the bottom of the list of DL improvements. I am sure you are much more dialed into DL's plans, so hopefully I am completely off base, and Bubba is correct that better meals are on the way asap.
Glad you understand that investments ARE being made.

I agree that domestic First food is likely on the bottom of the priority list. I think they'd continue to focus on things like the LAX/SFO/SEA-JFK Michael Chiarello meals and expanded EC snacks.

As bdschobel said, DL will likely have a better return on investment on the ground as there is a broader audience to please with upgrades to terminals and the food options there.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I certainly agree with this. On a recent flight ATL-LAX, I was something like #19 on an upgrade list numbering 78 people. That's just insane. The 757 holds something like 190 people. And for me to be #19 was pretty surprising, too. My low fare probably explains that.

Bruce
AMEN. As in any business, you treat your high value clients better than low spenders. Basically, if you mileage run to get status, you may have flown around the globe, but if you're not making the airline the same amount as the customer who spends 4x more on regular fare on a regular basis, you shouldn't be getting the same freebies. Just like a "buy 10 get one free", they want a spend, not just a visit to the store.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Musicguy2012
AMEN. As in any business, you treat your high value clients better than low spenders. Basically, if you mileage run to get status, you may have flown around the globe, but if you're not making the airline the same amount as the customer who spends 4x more on regular fare on a regular basis, you shouldn't be getting the same freebies. Just like a "buy 10 get one free", they want a spend, not just a visit to the store.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.