Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Ti22
They already do by virtue of loads. My last weekday tcon was 9 of 26 with 4 available PM on U fare. Not complaining, I rode in the seat paid for while enjoying free booze and HOOU snack box in EC. That's the new reality even for DM/PM's on LUT fares.

Sure, maybe weekends and odd schedule occasions LUT might receive an UG but for all practical purposes UG's are basically dead on the low revenue stuff.
Just because you are not getting an upgrade does not mean that there are no upgrades.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I wouldn't be surprised if Delta made LUT fares non-upgradable in the near future.
^

We can only hope. Improve domestic F!
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Ti22
They already do by virtue of loads. My last weekday tcon was 9 of 26 with 4 available PM on U fare. Not complaining, I rode in the seat paid for while enjoying free booze and HOOU snack box in EC. That's the new reality even for DM/PM's on LUT fares.

Sure, maybe weekends and odd schedule occasions LUT might receive an UG but for all practical purposes UG's are basically dead on the low revenue stuff.
UG are not dead, just a lot harder to get than they use to. Transco is a bad example because it is held back intentionally because people will pay F on that Route.

That being said the last couple of yrs I have seen a dramatic increase in BFUG and missed more UG's than in the previous 10 yrs combined. I think that is why SDC has been so widely used and may be one of the motives for DL to restrict it.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Just because you are not getting an upgrade does not mean that there are no upgrades.
I definitely agree and do mention "sure, it happens" on certain days and/or luck of the draw. But flying the same route 4-5 years, I'm sharing (based on interpretation) what I've witnessed and experienced to date. Consider my conjecture (opinion) bonus material.

Short hops are still pretty good (wth does it hurt DL?) but domestic 1st/biz is simply NOT worth that much to me.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by bubbashow
^

We can only hope. Improve domestic F!
How would eliminating upgrades on L,U, T fares improve domestic F? Upgrades would just go to others on higher fares. If we want to improve domestic F then just stop giving away upgrades.

Or do what American does and require stickers unless you are a highest tier and only give out complimentary upgrades to diamonds.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
^

Improve domestic F!
Bubbashow, I've asked you before, and will ask you again since you keep saying it. Why do you believe that the DL management would take one red cent from the bottom line (and their bonuses) to improve domestic F unless they absolutely had to to remain competitive? I just don't see it.

Last edited by BamaGirl; Apr 7, 2013 at 11:24 am
Old Apr 7, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by mridley2

Besides didn't DL try that reduced mqm earning some years ago to disastrous affect??
Yes. ^

But, perhaps Virginia Ave either has a short memory, or believes we do.

Alternate hypothesis... perhaps they figure that, since we have let them whittle away at SkyMiles over the last few years, and since we have failed to mount any credible push-back during that period, then the FF community must be ineffectual and management can do whatever they damn well please.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:32 am

I am sorry if the changes that are happening are causing some to actually get the service for which they are paying, but competition is getting where it needs to be and airlines can start charging for that which was normally given away.

YES, I hope they do eliminate MANY complimentary F class upgrades. I think it would make it better. it is my opinion. It may vary from yours, but I am equally entitled to it. This odd myopic world where any dissenting opinion is that of the devil is laughable. People have informed me that they have put me on "ignore" on here...I don't even know how that is done, but good! If you are so shallow and so capable of thought that you can't even bear to read a dissenting opinion, then Mr. Wizard, I guess the opinion doesn't exist.

Look who has been correct in most of what has happened here, though. My vision of a perfect SkyMiles program is coming much-closer to the reality of SkyMiles than most visions on here.

Originally Posted by BamaGirl
Bubbashow, I've asked you before, and will ask you again since you keep saying it. Why do you believe that the DL management would take one red cent from the bottom line (and their bonuses) to improve domestic F unless they absolutely had to to remain competitive? I just don't see it.

Bama, have you ever been in the first couple rows of a mainline AA aircraft? They don't give it away to anyone except EXP and it is an infinitely-better experience.

Most on here wouldn't dream of actually paying for F. Some of us do. When we are paying a premium and see that it is being cheapened to satisfy egos created through a marketing scheme, it is disheartening.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:21 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sorry if the changes that are happening are causing some to actually get the service for which they are paying, but competition is getting where it needs to be and airlines can start charging for that which was normally given away.

YES, I hope they do eliminate MANY complimentary F class upgrades. I think it would make it better. it is my opinion. It may vary from yours, but I am equally entitled to it. This odd myopic world where any dissenting opinion is that of the devil is laughable. People have informed me that they have put me on "ignore" on here...I don't even know how that is done, but good! If you are so shallow and so capable of thought that you can't even bear to read a dissenting opinion, then Mr. Wizard, I guess the opinion doesn't exist.

Look who has been correct in most of what has happened here, though. My vision of a perfect SkyMiles program is coming much-closer to the reality of SkyMiles than most visions on here.
Is your vision of a perfect SkyMiles program one where someone cannot access UGs by qualifying at a higher program level by making cheap MRs to, say, IST? ... and then brag about it?

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:21 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Bama, have you ever been in the first couple rows of a mainline AA aircraft? They don't give it away to anyone except EXP and it is an infinitely-better experience.

Most on here wouldn't dream of actually paying for F. Some of us do. When we are paying a premium and see that it is being cheapened to satisfy egos created through a marketing scheme, it is disheartening.
I have Bubba. And, yes some of us do pay for FC on DL and elsewhere . If you are speaking of the meals- I would agree it is a better experience. But, this still doesn't explain why you think DL will make the expenditures to improve domestic FC when it is not necessary for it to do so to be competitve. It's not like flyers are knocking each other out of the way to fly AA domestic FC over DL FC.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Is your vision of a perfect SkyMiles program one where someone cannot access UGs by qualifying at a higher program level by making cheap MRs to, say, IST? ... and then brag about it?
My vision of a perfect SM program is where the benefits are given based on your actual value to the airline. I have been CRYSTAL clear that I don't know how I would shake out in such a program, but I am wise enough in business to see that some customer behavior needs to be changed. My personal opinion is the guy flying DTW-PHL on expensive fares every week deserves FAR more than someone who bounced back-and-forth ORD-IST to simply gain status.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 11:55 am

The shallowness is the knee jerk corporate idolatry for amenities lost as a boost for share value. And that all the "gamers" in these situations are the paying customers.

Last edited by Canarsie; Apr 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm Reason: Removed unnecessary content.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My vision of a perfect SM program is where the benefits are given based on your actual value to the airline. I have been CRYSTAL clear that I don't know how I would shake out in such a program, but I am wise enough in business to see that some customer behavior needs to be changed. My personal opinion is the guy flying DTW-PHL on expensive fares every week deserves FAR more than someone who bounced back-and-forth ORD-IST to simply gain status.
How about someone making a MR from a small Michigan airport to LAX and back to retain Gold status? ... or a one-day MR to Hawaii?

We would have to assume that these were for fairly low fairs, else the perpetrator would not typify them as MRs.

Would such practices also be subject to your disdain?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
How about someone making a MR from a small Michigan airport to LAX and back to retain Gold status? ... or a one-day MR to Hawaii?

We would have to assume that these were for fairly low fairs, else the perpetrator would not typify them as MRs.

Would such practices also be subject to your disdain?
Indeed. The entire competitive environment has changed in the past two years, however. What was done a couple of years ago has led (and I am a early guilty participant) to the destruction of the FF program. I am progressive enough to know that times change, situations change, and business changes. There is simply nothing elite about the elite experience at all. As my economic situation changed, my opinion changed.

Whether you agree with me, or not SHIB, my vision is the closest to CURRENT reality. Perhaps we should just save this thread for three years and see how things have shaken out?

I see where you are going with this. There was also a time in my life in college when I thought ramen noodles were a good idea. There was a period when I thought white Levi 501 jeans were a good idea. There was a period when I thought an all-you-can eat Chinese buffet was a good idea. Times change, situations change, people change.

Last edited by bubbashow; Apr 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I have Bubba. And, yes some of us do pay for FC on DL and elsewhere . If you are speaking of the meals- I would agree it is a better experience. But, this still doesn't explain why you think DL will make the expenditures to improve domestic FC when it is not necessary for it to do so to be competitve. It's not like flyers are knocking each other out of the way to fly AA domestic FC over DL FC.
So have I. In fact Delta bought the tickets and paid us to use them when we were bumped from DL Y to AA F. I was hard pressed to notice much difference between AA & others.

AA's product was so great it landed them in the Chapter 11. How does bubbashow feel about throwing money at paid F on US? That's the future of AA. If US's last merger is any indication, there's another great debacle on the horizon that will take years to get running smoothly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.