Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Are you prepared for reduced mileage earnings on LUTXVE fares, as forecast here?

The next shoe to drop?
As usual, I think DeltaPoints is grasping. I'm not sure that is exactly how it will drop, but there is for sure another shoe to drop. And that relates to rewarding you for how much you spend, NOT how much you fly. @:-)@:-)

DL is working out the IT for it, but FBTR or whatever its called is on its way. Personally, I'm debating cashing out my SkyPesos vs hoping they will be fair in converting existing pesos to the new scheme.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
...Personally, I'm debating cashing out my SkyPesos vs hoping they will be fair in converting existing pesos to the new scheme.
I agree. This is much more difficult than it was when we knew to burn every single WorldPerks mile that we had before the shoe dropped. How the shoe will affect the decision this time is difficult to predict.

I am in the middle and am burning half of what I had this year prepared to use it all in a hurry if and when the day comes that an announcement that I do not like is made.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dsldog400
My biggest use if SDC has been to move my connecting flight up....
Sometimes the closer connection won't price because of fare classes, sold out, or within the illegal connection time for that location. ...raight to the gate of my desired connection.

When I get off the first plane, I have a briefcase in one hand, a small bag in the other and my jacket flung over my shoulder. I don't use a smart phone, and can't free my hands to use it anyway. My MISSION: check board for next gate and walk, walk, walk. Don't stop for a candy bar, coffee or reastroom; don't make phone calls, just get to that gate....

I have my ticket ready and give my original BP to the GA. "No, I don't have any checked bags." I have always been taken care of, as long as the door had not closed. I've been become quite adept at making 10 minute connections...
What this poster is doing has little to do with this SDC discussion.

He is simply doing a last minute standby which almost always works since usually there is one last seat available for a standby who walks up as the door is closing.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:00 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
As usual, I think DeltaPoints is grasping. I'm not sure that is exactly how it will drop, but there is for sure another shoe to drop. And that relates to rewarding you for how much you spend, NOT how much you fly. @:-)@:-)

DL is working out the IT for it, but FBTR or whatever its called is on its way. Personally, I'm debating cashing out my SkyPesos vs hoping they will be fair in converting existing pesos to the new scheme.
I already cashed out my skypesos(low international be) However if FBTR would take over the way we redeem today i would simply fly a different airline
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 18sas
Yes, I think people do actually.

But I think until we see how it works in practice, everyone's underlying assumption/fear is that DL will manage SDC inventory much like they manage low level award inventory.
And add to that there isn't a strategy to get SDC with availability unlike low awards.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
How will SDC work for award tickets? Given the requirement for availability in the same bucket, does this mean there has to be award inventory available?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
How will SDC work for award tickets? Given the requirement for availability in the same bucket, does this mean there has to be award inventory available?
No one knows of course, but there are 4 possibilities as I see it:

* SDC on award tickets as long as space available in the cabin (so Y/F/J availability), i.e. same as today

* SDC on award tickets only allowed as long as availability exists at the same award level (which would mean for all intents and purposes no SDC on low level awards)

* A mapping between award ticket level and fare buckets would be created, like Low = T, Med = K, High = M, and SDC possibility would be based on that bucket. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see the mapping something like Low = E, Med = L, High = Y.

* Award tickets are allowed same day standby only.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

Are you prepared for reduced mileage earnings on LUTXVE fares, as forecast here?

The next shoe to drop?

I bet reduced MQM on discount fares is coming. Then they will upsell full MQM.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Probably true, pretty much what we are seeing now with other airlines. As others have said, this will be much more about $$$ in the future than about distance.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
MQMM
Old Apr 6, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
If they had not introduced MQD's I might agree but they did introduce a spending requirement. So I'm inclined to think 100% MQMs will stay on all fares.

Besides didn't DL try that reduced mqm earning some years ago to disastrous affect??
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:08 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by mridley2
If they had not introduced MQD's I might agree but they did introduce a spending requirement. So I'm inclined to think 100% MQMs will stay on all fares.

Besides didn't DL try that reduced mqm earning some years ago to disastrous affect??
I believe they did but it didn't last long.

I wouldn't be surprised if Delta made LUT fares non-upgradable in the near future.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 6:14 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
DL is working out the IT for it....
That's a relief. I was concerned it would happen in the near future....
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
I believe they did but it didn't last long.

I wouldn't be surprised if Delta made LUT fares non-upgradable in the near future.
They already do by virtue of loads. My last weekday tcon was 9 of 26 with 4 available PM on U fare. Not complaining, I rode in the seat paid for while enjoying free booze and HOOU snack box in EC. That's the new reality even for DM/PM's on LUT fares.

Sure, maybe weekends and odd schedule occasions LUT might receive an UG but for all practical purposes UG's are basically dead on the low revenue stuff.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ti22
They already do by virtue of loads. My last weekday tcon was 9 of 26 with 4 available PM on U fare. Not complaining, I rode in the seat paid for while enjoying free booze and HOOU snack box in EC. That's the new reality even for DM/PM's on LUT fares.

Sure, maybe weekends and odd schedule occasions LUT might receive an UG but for all practical purposes UG's are basically dead on the low revenue stuff.
If this is true, then upgrades are also dead for anyone below DM except for Y fares or upgrades using instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.