Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Old Apr 5, 13, 10:30 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
They'll probably say "starting April 1" pretty soon.
But it clearly didn't start on April 1st. I did a SDC just fine yesterday. I got home five hours ahead of my scheduled flight.
Old Apr 5, 13, 10:34 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I thought from the MQD thing that they had learned their lesson about giving advance notice, even of unpopular changes. But their total silence on this is completely frustrating.
Old Apr 5, 13, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Shhhhhh... be vewwy vewwy quiet. They're hunting Ham Sammiches
Old Apr 5, 13, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mtkeller View Post
Actually, it's much worse. I could live with same fare bucket, as LNK tends to be either rammed or lightly loaded. If it's rammed, I probably couldn't have gotten a seat via SDC anyway. If it's lightly loaded, they tend to have E available on day of departure. The issue, at least based on what the OP said, is that you can only SDC for free if the flight is within three hours of your original flight. The current rules allow you to SDC within three hours of the flight you want to take. If I'm booked on the 1300 LNK-MSP, right now I could SDC to the 0640 at 0340 or the 1700 at 1400 as long as it's Y1. Under the new rules, even if the 0640 is E9, there is no way I can ever SDC to it for free. That's moronic.
This is the fine point I missed in my post, which I tried to delete but was quoted before I could.

One thing I can say is the new rules as quoted in this thread are confusing!
Old Apr 5, 13, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
This is the fine point I missed in my post, which I tried to delete but was quoted before I could.

One thing I can say is the new rules as quoted in this thread are confusing!
Yeah, I saw that you deleted your post after it was quoted, but I figured since it's so confusing as spelled out here (and do we really expect the official version to be any better?), I'd continue the discussion so more people realize the potential ramifications if these are accurate.
Old Apr 6, 13, 8:43 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
This was confirmed to me yesterday and that April 16 is the trigger date. I was told if I was on FT that they were not allowed to tell me anything. dL was pretty upset that the memo leaked and was posted and trying to find out where the leak came from, I was told the Midnight SDC change is going to happen but would not go in to any more detail but said information will be coming next week.
Old Apr 6, 13, 8:53 am

Programs: AA - EXP
I think my biggest frustration with this change is that it is happening mid-medallion year. With MQDs we were told in advance of the change... with this I feel like they are robbing a benefit they promoted/promised.
Old Apr 6, 13, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG-75K & HYATT Diamond; former DL-DM, AA-PLT, US-PLT
My biggest use if SDC has been to move my connecting flight up. Many times my connection is scheduled with 3 to 5 hrs, sometimes even more. I know it's odd, the itinerary pricing out normally with a connection time that would be a stopover.

Sometimes the closer connection won't price because of fare classes, sold out, or within the illegal connection time for that location. I don't check bags, get as much info as I can before boarding my first flight, then head straight to the gate of my desired connection.

When I get off the first plane, I have a briefcase in one hand, a small bag in the other and my jacket flung over my shoulder. I don't use a smart phone, and can't free my hands to use it anyway. My MISSION: check board for next gate and walk, walk, walk. Don't stop for a candy bar, coffee or reastroom; don't make phone calls, just get to that gate.

I have my ticket ready and give my original BP to the GA. "No, I don't have any checked bags." I have always been taken care of, as long as the door had not closed. I've been become quite adept at making 10 minute connections.

I really resent DL using the gamers excuse for justifying these lame enhancements. I don't have time for that. If I get on that next plane, I am so happy. I don't even give it second thought that I sat in Y with a first or previously upgraded ticket.

I just used a seat whose value had expired at least an hour ago, and Delta got from me a later seat with time to sell it. And now they want to charge ME?

I can't wait to try my luck in late April.
Old Apr 6, 13, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MichaelKade View Post
I think my biggest frustration with this change is that it is happening mid-medallion year. With MQDs we were told in advance of the change... with this I feel like they are robbing a benefit they promoted/promised.
And breaching their contract with you but that is de rigeur.
Old Apr 6, 13, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott TE, and Reformed AMEX Cent
for my flights - there is now no way I can sdc an L,U,T fare. Day of, those fare buckets just don't exist.
Old Apr 6, 13, 11:30 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
That is mine as well. My wife BOUGHT MQM's in December so she could be gold with the biggest benefit to her being able t o SDC. I also know someone else from my office that gifted gold to his wife so she could SDC for free when they travelled together.

I am sure there are others who purchased MQM's last year with the main benefit being able to SDC and other diamonds who gifted gold so their spouse could SDC for free when travelling with them.

My wife would never think of asking Delta midyear to return her MQMs for a refund. Delta shouldn't be taking away promised benefits midyear.
Old Apr 6, 13, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Mid-year changes are the rule, rather than the exception, with Virginia Ave.
Old Apr 6, 13, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds View Post
That is mine as well. My wife BOUGHT MQM's in December so she could be gold with the biggest benefit to her being able t o SDC. I also know someone else from my office that gifted gold to his wife so she could SDC for free when they travelled together.

I am sure there are others who purchased MQM's last year with the main benefit being able to SDC and other diamonds who gifted gold so their spouse could SDC for free when travelling with them.

My wife would never think of asking Delta midyear to return her MQMs for a refund. Delta shouldn't be taking away promised benefits midyear.
This sort of behavior is going to continue until some one takes one of these issues to court and prevails... or until the FF community wakes up, bans together, and starts a push back.

Save Sky Miles was successful... and that was before social media was available to assist in the fashion that it could today.

Are you prepared for reduced mileage earnings on LUTXVE fares, as forecast here?

The next shoe to drop?

Every success in cutting benefits just provides Virginia Ave more momentum for the next cut.

Death by 1000 cuts...
Old Apr 6, 13, 11:52 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL GM, Delta Reserve
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Harlem View Post
for my flights - there is now no way I can sdc an L,U,T fare. Day of, those fare buckets just don't exist.
If you look at UA's policy, they first had the same terms as the new Delta's (if its in fact going to effect). For UA and the former CO l, they opened up all fare buckets for SDC only, BUT NOT for purchase. This happens to me a lot as a UA elite. I can choose certain flights 12 hrs prior to departure but some flights within the timeframe aren't available. They say that usual "that flight doesn't have your ticket class available but the flight an hour prior, 2 hours prior and the 6am has all booking classes open (but not for purchase). Seriously, can't anyone see that Delta is trying to mirror the other legacy carriers, especially after seeing the SkyPriority brand roll out (SkyPriority = EliteAccess now Premier Access)?
Old Apr 6, 13, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747 View Post
Seriously, can't anyone see that Delta is trying to mirror the other legacy carriers, especially after seeing the SkyPriority brand roll out (SkyPriority = EliteAccess now Premier Access)?
Yes, I think people do actually.

But I think until we see how it works in practice, everyone's underlying assumption/fear is that DL will manage SDC inventory much like they manage low level award inventory.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: