Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Old Apr 2, 13, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Ironically, this is part of the program that I have never completely understood. If a flight was Y1 it was SDC eligible. EVEN if Y1 was an oversold situation. So you could SDC and someone (even including you) could get the VDB.
DL (and other airlines do the same) bases the decision on their analytic models that predict than some passengers will be no shows or miss the flight. They calculate the expected wins versus losses of booking another passenger on the flight. However, I suspect that they use the same calculation when it's a SDC (the Y > 0 criterion is the same for SDC as to sell an additional full Y ticket), which greatly overestimates the value to DL of moving that passenger from another flight in such circumstances. A better way would be not to use inventory buckets for ticket sales but to have a different inventory class for SDCs, effectively a different and unpublished standard, but then SDC would lose some of its current wonderful transparency.
Old Apr 2, 13, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy View Post
but legal.....

It's no big deal, but if my simple observation is correct, I have a better understanding of why some posts are presented as they are.
Hmm, interesting show...
Old Apr 3, 13, 5:09 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition.
A quick google search returned quite an earful for me... and led me to a better understanding of ideas expressed by at least one poster in this thread......
It's early, and I'm not fully alert.....please give us a hint.
Old Apr 3, 13, 6:37 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by DLdweeb View Post
It's early, and I'm not fully alert.....please give us a hint.
Want a hint, buy a hint......

Sorry , it's the DL forum, I could not resist
Old Apr 3, 13, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM
LOL. WH?BH.

Are you talking about BtLS? Not sure if it's the same though.
Old Apr 3, 13, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold

Sorry , it's the DL forum, I could not resist
LOL
Old Apr 3, 13, 9:00 am
k2

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by 18sas View Post
LOL. WH?BH.

Are you talking about BtLS? Not sure if it's the same though.
Not the same
Old Apr 3, 13, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM
Originally Posted by k2 View Post
Not the same
Thanks. Didn't think so
Old Apr 3, 13, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz #1 Gold
Closing the revenue losing loophole

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but here goes:

For cheap fare flyers there's another SDC issue, and it's not about upgrades, it's about saving cash.

For a particular flight, I've seen difference between what I want and what I want to pay (schedule wise) being anywhere from $50 to $200.
Cheap fare flyers would book the cheaper ticket, and SDC to the routing / scheduling of their choice.

SDC saved cheap fare fliers a lot of money, and Delta want's to shut this revenue losing loophole.
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh View Post
If he happens to be able to fly for work, I can't imagine a radio station is going to allow their employees to buy anything but the lowest fares.

If he isn't flying for work and just pleasure then those passengers have no idea of the value of SDCing and upgrades for work purposes. When you fly for work you don't have a lot of choice as to when you go and what city, unlike pleasure travel.
We've covered my purchases over and over and over on here. My purchases aren't what should be debated. I buy a mix of fares. When going for work, I buy a mix of fares, depending on the needs of the situation.

IT IS NOT DELTA'S JOB TO SUPPLEMENT WHAT YOUR TRAVEL DEPARTMENT WON'T DO.

Direct your anger at your company's policies...not Delta's. They aren't a corporate charity. Actually, in fact, some corporate contracts are QUITE nice in what they allow. Perhaps you should be directing this energy towards your travel department to negotiate a better deal with DL.

If you are a consultant working for yourself used to getting status on 99 transcon fares and are feeling the squeeze now, I think you are the target of who is to be squeezed. I am sorry that you have defined so much self worth on marketing "status" bestowed by an airline. If the latter is you, you really aren't worth much in this economy, and certainly not worthy of benefits.
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by klashn View Post

For cheap fare flyers there's another SDC issue, and it's not about upgrades, it's about saving cash.

For a particular flight, I've seen difference between what I want and what I want to pay (schedule wise) being anywhere from $50 to $200.
Cheap fare flyers would book the cheaper ticket, and SDC to the routing / scheduling of their choice.

SDC saved cheap fare fliers a lot of money, and Delta want's to shut this revenue losing loophole.
klashn.....those exploiting that are the most-upset on here.

......also be careful when you are hitting them with the truth...it makes you a target. God forbid another side in a debate exist.
Old Apr 3, 13, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM 4.4 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium
I am going to miss SDC

Got done early today and SDCed to the 11AM IAD-MSP. It was empty. The 14:20 flight is pretty empty also.
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by klashn View Post

Can't these "cheap fare flyers" do basically the same thing with free standby? It's not assured, but neither was SDC when they bought their cheap ticket, right?

Bruce
Old Apr 3, 13, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
klashn.....those exploiting that are the most-upset on here.

......also be careful when you are hitting them with the truth...it makes you a target. God forbid another side in a debate exist.
Yeah I have to admit I really enjoy watching the 3G&G crowd get their panties in a wad. Most here would not last 10 minutes with any responsibility in a real business environment......and all over a policy that they do not even know the details of.

And then they wonder why no one on Va. Avenue takes this forum seriously.

Gotta just laugh most of the time........
Old Apr 3, 13, 1:01 pm

Those given something free will never appreciate it & will believe they are owed more demanding that it be given to them.

LOVE your signature Longing4Piedmont!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: