Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
This is 99% NOT about gaming the system. This is purely to pump more money out of people.
You are absolutely right, after all it is what the free enterprise system is all about. If we don't like it we are all free to take our business elsewhere.

There are also two sides to this coin. In my case I traveled on a R/T transcontinental routing from GSP during 3Q '12 for a total of $198.00. This had to be close to a losing proposition for DL, because after all taxes and fees were deducted, along with the fuel surcharge, there couldn't have been much left over to cover any other costs.

In short sometimes we win, as in the instance that I cited, and other times we may wind feeling that we got gouged. I personally believe that it comes out even in the end.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Lol....another great benefit gone due to the gamers.

Here is a novel idea.....

Pay for the flight youd like, and the services you desire....including the ability to change your ticket. Dl sells many changeable fares.
Changeable fares are too expensive.
Anything higher than L is usually expensive.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SamOF
... I don't get what your point is...
It is fun to pontificate and be supercilious.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

Pay for the flight youd like, and the services you desire....including the ability to change your ticket. Dl sells many changeable fares.
You're right Bubba. You know those oxygen masks for emergency use? As a stockholder, I'd like to see them cut off all oxygen to the cabin, and just have passengers use those masks... with one small modification. Put a credit card reader in the overhead panel that is required for you to get your mask out. Then your mask is metered and you are billed based on how much air you desire. That'll stop those gamers. You can also pay extra for ham sandwich scent if you want.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member

My company's policy is to buy tickets at least 2 weeks out. I can't remember the last time I did that. It's also company policy to buy the lowest logical fare. I usually fly in "emergency situations" and can never tell ahead of time exactly how long I need to be somewhere. So, when I SDC, it's because I need more time or because I want to leave earlier. I also normally give up my upgrade when I do this. Call me a gamer if you want but if I didn't "game" the system a bit, Delta would be out many thousands of dollars to other airlines from me alone.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
You are absolutely right, after all it is what the free enterprise system is all about. If we don't like it we are all free to take our business elsewhere.

There are also two sides to this coin. In my case I traveled on a R/T transcontinental routing from GSP during 3Q '12 for a total of $198.00. This had to be close to a losing proposition for DL, because after all taxes and fees were deducted, along with the fuel surcharge, there couldn't have been much left over to cover any other costs.

In short sometimes we win, as in the instance that I cited, and other times we may wind feeling that we got gouged. I personally believe that it comes out even in the end.
I don't think it comes out in the end. I pay very high fares most of the time including a $950 fare last year MSP-OMA-MSP. I've purchased $600+ fares MSP-RAP-MSP this year. I rarely spend less that $500 on a flight (domestic).

Last edited by yohanson; Apr 1, 2013 at 6:31 pm Reason: Wrong airport code
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Originally Posted by timmy83
Look who's watching!

Hi Mr. DLCorpGuy! Thanks for joining us.

I'm sure whomever he reports to has instructed him to not communicate while they think of more slogans.

Loyalty is a two way street (with DL driving a bulldozer in the wrong lane)
We have your back (with a knife inserted)

Can't wait to see how this enhancement is wrapped up in mutual respect and integrity.

I do have some news for DLCorpGuy. I announced our new travel policy. Two of my employees just status are enjoying a big global airline... They status matched to AA and on there way to Asia later this month. Not a SDC issue just a data point....
Old Apr 1, 2013, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by javabytes
You're right Bubba. You know those oxygen masks for emergency use? As a stockholder, I'd like to see them cut off all oxygen to the cabin, and just have passengers use those masks... with one small modification. Put a credit card reader in the overhead panel that is required for you to get your mask out. Then your mask is metered and you are billed based on how much air you desire. That'll stop those gamers. You can also pay extra for ham sandwich scent if you want.
Yes. WOBO. ^^^

But only those PAX with a K fare or higher get the option for the oxygen mask. Those sLUT flyers are all just gamers that don't deserve oxygen. They are just a drain on the airline.

Why, I heard a group of them one time in the Sky Club. There were making a MR to IST and they were talking about how they were going to buddy breathe off of one oxygen mask and cheat the airline out of the revenue that it deserved.

We'll show them. Yesiree...
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: AS 75k
This change has zero effect on me since I have never had a real reason to SDC, but it seems like a change that is going to impact the highest value customers. I get cheapening the Y cabin experience, the lowest-fare shoppers did that; I get the MQD, it ultimately makes more sense than MQM anyway (though they should just get rid of MQS and MQM altogether, having all 3 is dumb). But why go after your GM+ customers who are spending $5k+ and are inherently loyal?

Originally Posted by agarc
* If people are really buying an A fare for SFO-SLC-JFK and using SDC to switch to the SFO-JFK in BE, it makes sense for DL to prevent this from continuing. Sucks for those who were getting away with it, but that sounds like gaming the system.
This seems like using a baseball bat to kill an ant, then.

How often is this really happening? Doesn't alienating a few dozen high rev customers outweigh the miniscule cost difference to Delta (this might be $500 in "lost" revenue). Of course, it also means there was an empty seat on the direct flight, which is also lost revenue, so the cost ends up minimal.

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
If Delta said I would move to the bottom of the upgrade queue if I SDC'd I would be fine with it. I just want to get home earlier.
This seems like a solution to the gaming "problem" without resorting to the baseball bat, although it wouldn't necessarily "fix" the above "problem".

Originally Posted by flightline
These folks are having their day in the sun as they create a new thing called profit, something they've never seen before. Waiting in the wings, though, is a scary fact--the barriers to entry in this industry are relatively low. Find a big pocket or two, lease some planes, hire a few out-of-work pilots, set up a fly-by-night maintenance base, and BANG, you've got an airline.
This has been tried... SkyBus comes to mind. Delta's strength (and now UA/CO and AA/US) is that you can basically get to anywhere from anywhere, at least domestically, on one airline. It would be hard to replicate that to sufficient extent that it would capture the high revenue passengers (e.g. the people that DL seem intent on screwing over).

Fighting over the Kayak whatever's cheapest crowd does not seem to be a winning proposition.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yes. WOBO. ^^^..
You beat me to it
Old Apr 1, 2013, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Your company's travel policy must be a lot more generous than most of the posters on here and your clients must be very generous as well.

Our firms travel policy would never allow someone to spend that much money on a fully changable fare in most cases seeing the price difference and none of my clients would reimburse me for a fully refundable fare.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 7:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
Put a credit card reader in the overhead panel that is required for you to get your mask out.
Ya, I guess, since DL is cashless, they couldn't do what RyanAir did (joking), and install coin slots on the oxygen masks!

Old Apr 1, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Yes. WOBO. ^^^

But only those PAX with a K fare or higher get the option for the oxygen mask. Those sLUT flyers are all just gamers that don't deserve oxygen. They are just a drain on the airline.
Thanks SHIB, you just gave bubba an idea to present at the DL stockholders meeting.

WOBO. Love it.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 9:13 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Our firms travel policy would never allow someone to spend that much money on a fully changable fare in most cases seeing the price difference and none of my clients would reimburse me for a fully refundable fare.
My clients would probably pay for refundable/BE/etc if I asked them nicely. But they all are small businesses with limited budgets so there would be no money left to pay me I travel cheaply so there is money in my pocket rather than it all going to airlines and hotels.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: DL DM
Ft is full of stories of sdc for better upgrade chances.

It isnt dls job to supplement your company's bad travel policies. Be angry at them, not dl

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.