Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtkeller
The fare rules are part of my contract with them. They can change implementation aspects like fee waivers, but they're stuck with what the fare rules say. How can they go about imposing a same fare bucket requirement on tickets where the fare rules say same cabin is all that's required?
I noticed the fare rules do not say anything about the SDC fee waiver for Gold+, they only mention the $50 fee for SDC. Technically, I believe if they waive the matching fare bucket requirement when you pay the $50, they could still be in compliance with the existing fare rules.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by 18sas
The response to reducing call volume is to make it available online. And there's also @DeltaAssist.

They've started that already as you are given some limited SDC options through OLCI. I've used it myself and it has saved me some phone calls.
In several circumstances, that's a viable scheme.

In many others, the Medallion is gunning for a waiver/favor workaround. Foreclosing that arguably is in DL's interest. Labor costs are a real b**ch.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by LBJ
I noticed the fare rules do not say anything about the SDC fee waiver for Gold+, they only mention the $50 fee for SDC. Technically, I believe if they waive the matching fare bucket requirement when you pay the $50, they could still be in compliance with the existing fare rules.
Exactly. They can refuse to waive the fee for GM/PM/DM on tickets issued prior to changing the fare rules, but they can't insist on same bucket availability. I could see someone who really wants to get onto a Y1 B0 flight.(without doing standby) and is willing to pay $50 for it fighting with them over this.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:28 pm

It's in the Fare Rules

While the website mentions that it is the rule in effect at the time of travel that applies, there is no such language in the fare rule itself. For example, this is what it says on the rule for an X class ticket from LAX to JFK in mid-May:

-SAME DAY CONFIRM/SDC-
SAME DAY CONFIRM/SDC PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED
RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS MAY CONFIRM TRAVEL FOR
LESS THAN 3 HOURS PRIOR TO THE NEW FLIGHT ON AN
EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY DL NONSTOPAND/OR
CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN SAME ORIGIN AND
DESTINATION AIRPORTS FOR A USD 50.00 FEE PLUS ANY
DIFFERENCE IN GOVERNMENT IMPOSED ITINERARY BASED
FEES.
NOTE -
A. SEAT INVENTORY MUST BE AVAILABLE IN THE CABIN
APPLICABLE TO THE FARE CHARGED
B. CHANGES PERMITTED TO OUTBOUND OR CONTINUING/
RETURN FLIGHTS
C. FLIGHT/S AND ROUTING MUST BE APPLICABLE FOR
THE FARE CHARGED. EXCEPTION-IF ORIGINAL
FARE PURCHASED REQUIRES TRAVEL VIA A
CONNECTING POINT TRAVEL IS PERMITTED VIA NON
STOP SERVICE.
D. IF THE REQUESTED CHANGE IS NOT APPLICABLE FOR
THE FARE PURCHASED IE INVALID ROUTING/AIRPORT
/ETC THE CUSTOMER MAY UPGRADE TO A FARE THAT
DOES PERMIT THOSE CHANGES USING NORMAL
REISSUE PROCEDURES OF PAYING ANY FARE
DIFFERENCE PLUS ASC.
E. IF THE CUSTOMER REQUESTS THE CHANGE MORE
THAN 3 HOURS PRIOR TO NEW FLIGHT DEPARTURE
TIME THE CUSTOMER CAN CONFIRM ON A DIFFERENT
FLIGHT ON THE SAME DAY OF TICKETED TRAVEL BY
PAYING THE ASC PLUS ANY APPLICABLE FARE
DIFFERENCE.

Note that while there is no language there about waiver of fees for Medallions, the language is clear that SDC is possible so long as there is seat inventory "in the cabin" - there is no rule that there must be X availability if you want to SDC on an X ticket.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The fare rules are part of my contract with them. They can change implementation aspects like fee waivers, but they're stuck with what the fare rules say. How can they go about imposing a same fare bucket requirement on tickets where the fare rules say same cabin is all that's required?
You are absolutely correct, but the policy clearly states, "The same-day confirmed program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply, regardless of the date of ticket purchase."

You don't want DL to follow the rules in force when you purchased the ticket. You want DL to follow non-existant rules you wish were in place when you purchased the ticket.

Here is the link: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
...Note that while there is no language there about waiver of fees for Medallions, the language is clear that SDC is possible so long as there is seat inventory "in the cabin" - there is no rule that there must be X availability if you want to SDC on an X ticket.
Under this policy, you can pay the $50 fee plus the fare difference. I'm sure if you call DL after the effective date of the change and offer to pay the walk-up fare, minus the fifty dollar fee and the fare you paid, you will likely have success. This is very, very different than being able to call three hours ahead of time and get a confirmed seat for free if there is space in the cabin. Heck, when I've changed tickets to a day earlier in this type of deal, DL has always waived the $150 change fee and just made me pay the fare difference. If it makes you feel better to pay $50, I bet they'll let you. I don't want to do that, though. I want SDC within three hours for free if there is space in the cabin.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You are absolutely correct, but the policy clearly states, "The same-day confirmed program is subject to change and the rules in effect on the date of travel will apply, regardless of the date of ticket purchase."

You don't want DL to follow the rules in force when you purchased the ticket. You want DL to follow non-existant rules you wish were in place when you purchased the ticket.

Here is the link: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...l-changes.html
The problem is that that's a random page on their website, whereas the fare rules are part of the contract you agree to when purchasing your ticket. The former simply doesn't override the latter.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:04 pm

Yeash. I'm only Gold this year, but what a steaming turd of a change. I tend to pay for some decent fares, and certainly have never gamed the system for SDC (buying a ticket assuming that SDC would get the flight I really want for less $$$. I'm far too paranoid to not book what I need and leave it to chance). I use SDC when a trip wrapped up early, or a tight connection arrived early enough to get on the flight leaving shortly out. Seemed like a win-win to me. I get out/back earlier, and Delta fills a seat and frees up a later one for missed flights/wx delays/etc. And no, standby is not the same by any means.

This was the one real useful benefit still useful to me these days. I think it is time to just burn through my miles and just go with whomever. The plan has gotten way too complex, and watered down rapidly over the last few years in my opinion.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:07 pm

...but they can't insist on same bucket availability...
Putting aside the rules that clearly state they can do this, when you say "they can't insist..." exactly what do you mean by "can't?" There is not law stopping them.

You have a choice here. You can drive yourself nuts over something you have no control over, threaten lawsuits that those of us who actually attended law school know have no merit and dream up worst case scenarios, or you can accept that this is the change, figure out how to use the new rules to get the best travel experience you can get, monitor your results for a couple months and then decide whether another airline is selling a bucket of services that might work better for you. The change is happening either way, so why make yourself miserable?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by SamOF
The problem is that that's a random page on their website, whereas the fare rules are part of the contract you agree to when purchasing your ticket. The former simply doesn't override the latter.
Again, if you want to follow the fare rules, which require you pay the fare difference and the fee, I doubt you will find resistance from DL. In fact, for all we know, that may still be permitted.

Is that really what you want? Are you getting upset that you will no longer be able to pay a $50 fee and the fare difference to get on an earlier flight?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:14 pm

As someone who "went to law school", I see that the the contract contained in the fare rules does take priority over a policy stated on the website - and, btw, I could not find SDC in the contract of carriage. So, we are left with the fare rule and nothing else.

Putting aside the rules that clearly state they can do this, when you say "they can't insist..." exactly what do you mean by "can't?" There is not law stopping them.

You have a choice here. You can drive yourself nuts over something you have no control over, threaten lawsuits that those of us who actually attended law school know have no merit and dream up worst case scenarios, or you can accept that this is the change, figure out how to use the new rules to get the best travel experience you can get, monitor your results for a couple months and then decide whether another airline is selling a bucket of services that might work better for you. The change is happening either way, so why make yourself miserable?
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:42 pm

Again, if you want to follow the fare rules, which require you pay the fare difference and the fee, I doubt you will find resistance from DL. In fact, for all we know, that may still be permitted.

Is that really what you want? Are you getting upset that you will no longer be able to pay a $50 fee and the fare difference to get on an earlier flight?
Where are you getting the fare difference thing from? The text in the fare rules specifies a flat $50 fee as long as there's availability in the cabin.

And no, it's not my ideal, but I'd generally rather have $50 to confirm any class than the new system.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Lol....another great benefit gone due to the gamers.

Here is a novel idea.....

Pay for the flight youd like, and the services you desire....including the ability to change your ticket. Dl sells many changeable fares.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Lol....another great benefit gone due to the gamers.
This is 99% NOT about gaming the system. This is purely to pump more money out of people. The fact that it'll cut down on gamers is merely a side effect.
Old Apr 1, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Pay for the flight youd like, and the services you desire....including the ability to change your ticket. Dl sells many changeable fares.
I did. I gave Delta money I would have given to a more convenient airline last year in large part based on the convenience of the SDC program.

Am I a gamer because I often use the benefits I earned, including SDC? I don't get what your point is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.