Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I thought DL was trying to be the preferred airline of the business traveler? Isn't SDC one of the most important benefits to business travelers? How does this make sense?
[satire to follow but sorta not] keep in mind there has to be give and take (we give they take). So to keep the perk of never expiring Skymiles we must give up Skymiles we earned when we die.

Next, we must give up SDC that are good, so we can have have unlimited upgrades or we may have to give those up too.

Kids it is all about give and take!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
How does this save them money? How many of those Y seats that I have SDC'd into would have been sold for full value if I had stayed on my original flight? Few, if any -- that's the reason for the 3-hour window. I don't get it.

After the merger, American will look a lot better out of RDU.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by timmy83
Ugh - only about 5,000 MQM to gold for me after my upcoming trips....

Delta has been pissing me off a lot lately, and I don't think I can continue to stay with them. Their crews are excellent, but this constant erosion of respect for the customer by the management is really infuriating.

SDC - I was looking forward to getting it for free as a gold, but I've paid the $50 to get me home sooner the couple of times I've been on business in MSP and just got done early and could get to the airport early. Now I can't even pay for the change.
MQD is a strange move, but it wasn't going to affect me
Drop in earnings on partner airlines - garbage
Skyclub discount lost for FO, oh well - that's why I have an AmEx (even though it makes no sense to punish those who use it the least)
The change with the transfer upon death - terrible, but I have a work around, this god-awful website - beyond frustrating.
The insulting lack of presence of this "social media team" - just another kick in the pants to those of us who wished we could get some dialogue going about the changes
And lastly - skypesos - why are you so difficult to use??????????

I think I'll go for those extra 5000 MQM, and once I get there, go for the UA status match.

I have flown Delta nearly exclusively for as long as I can remember, but now I'm done.
I'm in favor of DL making a profit... under the theory that a profitable airline may be around long enough for me to use (maybe) some of the miles I have accumulated.

But, consider the actions of a herd of cattle, that has gone too long without water. They smell a water hole just over the ridge and they start stampeding towards it, running down anything in their path.

Now that Virginia Ave has has learned what profit smells like, they are stampeding for more, trampling all of us who are in the way.

And, they don't give a damn about the long-term consequences of doing so.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I'm in favor of DL making a profit...
Unfortunately that does seem to be the case. Again. As a lowly silver (I think the FT-PC term is "FO", yes?) I've watched what few benefits the status level had either sold off to credit card companies or, in the case of the forward seats, just flat sold as economy discomfort. I was actually hoping that they'd end up giving us SDC (it does help them balance out flights, after all) but now I don't really see a reason to care one way or the other.

I know I don't fly enough to even be a bug on Delta's windshield, but to see them geld one of the truly useful benefits to those of you who ARE on their RADAR like this is pretty sad. Many people in my company have given up on status in general and have started going to Kayak to book travel. And, when I'm hearing that the majority of travel is now going on Southwest/AirTran out of ATL (!), it makes me wonder what DL is really thinking.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrmoore

I know I don't fly enough to even be a bug on Delta's windshield, but to see them geld one of the truly useful benefits to those of you who ARE on their RADAR like this is pretty sad. ...
It appears that they are getting even more brazen, with benefits cuts that are now impacting those even in the highest membership tiers... what was the phrase they used a few weeks ago?

"... trying to protect the travel experience of our most loyal customers..."

Something like that.

Balderdash.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I still think DL is acting like big man on the block monopoly, when in fact they're the #3 airline now after the UA/CO and AA/US mergers.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
As one of Delta's grumpiest (and mostly former) customers, this brings a bit of a smile to my eyes:
There is a new option of "paid standby" being rolled out at the same time:

$50 fee, waived for GM/PM/DM.
The standby request must be made before the departure time and on the same day as the ticketed flight. With redeye flights, it can be on the same day or the prior day.
No change to routing allowed (eg connecting to nonstop)
Only allowed for earlier flights than ticketed, with exception for GM/PM/DM.
If you don't clear the standby, you roll to the next flight.
There has to be availability in the same CABIN as ticketed, not just the same fare bucket.
This is a long-overdue reincarnation of the NW-style standby (free then for Golds & Plats). I was never fond of Delta's SDC despite doing so much of our domestic travel only Delta, but we did countless standbys like this at the NW gates (e.g. book the later, cheaper CRJ, then when you land haul your derriere to the earlier flight & get on a real plane, usually with an upgrade). It gives you a lot of flexibility to take earlier flights if you can get to them on time, e.g. that real plane instead of a CRJ or a connection that could not be booked legally because it was too short.

I'll agree that the three-hour and fare bucket restrictions are gutting SDC, but Delta never seems to overlook an opportunity to shaft any happy customers that they might have hanging around. C'est la vie.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Mar 29, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
It appears that they are getting even more brazen, with benefits cuts that are now impacting those even in the highest membership tiers... what was the phrase they used a few weeks ago?

"... trying to protect the travel experience of our most loyal customers..."

Something like that.

Balderdash.
And giving you a "more exclusive medallion experience." I guess by exclusive they mean more and more of the benefits that make status worthwhile will be excluded.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Plat (farewell DL :-<),Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
So just to add a data point. I know its common for people to claim they will leave etc over negative changes.

But just my 2 cents I left DL in December last year (my history 07-09, NWPE 10-11 DM, 12PM) im not going to claim I dont miss them as I do, they were good to me and I enjoyed the product. However I felt like skymiles did not have my best interests at heart and was actively evolving to disadvantage loyal customers. So I did something about and too my business else where. I'm proud to report today my SM balance is 302

Just wanted to point out that though some may never leave, most do have their breaking point and I think DL is surpassing it with many now. They would do well to not that while competition domestically has (sadly) decreased they are certainly not the only game in town!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Agree with everything you say, except this. IMO, DL is looking at the long-term. Look at their competition. AA will be tied up with BK/merger for another couple years. That leaves only UA as a serious competitor and really, how serious a competitor are they as they continue to hemorrhage corp accounts and make excuses every quarter why they still can’t make money?

DL pretty much has a free ride to destroy their FF program because, well, they can. Corps love them for excellent on time performance and some sweet deals. Many FFers like them for their hard product, at least as compared to the other legacies. Customer service also ranks DL higher than the others. From their big buyer point of view, DL is doing everything right. Most important, the others are not.

As I keep saying, we are nowhere near the bottom of the FF program trashing. At some point – still a long way off – DL will begin to restore benefits that they are taking away from us but at the moment, they are quite empowered despite how FTers may feel about this.

DL is not going to change course just because of comments on FT. They will gladly put up with some complaining as long as their numbers show what they are doing works. Only when their numbers fall off will they know they went too far. In the meantime, buckle up because this will get much worse.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And giving you a "more exclusive medallion experience." I guess by exclusive they mean more and more of the benefits that make status worthwhile will be excluded.

We don't often agree, but ^^^
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: DL PM
SDC is one of the better benefits DL offered elites and one I often used - and not in a "gaming the system" way either. I have to say, between the awful web site and this change, it seems DL is trying its best to de-enhance rather than enhance the benefits of being an elite at their airline. Seriously, can anyone recall an improvement in the last year?

I don't consider myself one of those elites with an entitlement mentality and DL has to earn a profit (I get MQDs as a business decision, for example), but the disconnect between their actions and their words with regard to how much they value elites is becoming laughable. If someone is truly valuable customer you find ways to tie them ever closer to your product - you don't start testing how poorly you can treat them until they leave.

I'll take SDC over those incessant "how was your travel experience" email polls if they are curious as to which benefits they can remove.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
We don't often agree, but ^^^
Really, what do we disagree about? I guess I hadn't noticed (no offense).
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:47 am

Location: Minneapolis, formerly the shores of Lake Minnetonka
Programs: DL PM (and KM)
It would be interesting to compile a list of Delta's "enhancements" they've put in so far this year.

MQD's, Less MQM's on M Fares, The "free" companion cert that costs $40, thrashing SDC...the list goes on and I'm sure someone here could add a lot more.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really, what do we disagree about? I guess I hadn't noticed (no offense).
Nothing serious.

No offense taken or meant. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.