Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

SDC rules change April 16; Increased restrictions incl same fare bucket availability

Old Mar 28, 13, 10:07 pm
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: KATL
Programs: DL DM/1MM
Posts: 1,939
Do people think that DL was so naive and clueless when SDC was first formulated that they didn't realize that people might be able to buy a less expensive, less optimal flight and then use SDC to change to their preferred, but more expensive flight later?

And that they're just now realizing this, what, 8 years later, and have just figured out what to do about it?

Last edited by 18sas; Mar 28, 13 at 10:20 pm Reason: deleted original posting as it had already been addressed
18sas is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 10:41 pm
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,252
Originally Posted by 18sas View Post
Do people think that DL was so naive and clueless when SDC was first formulated that they didn't realize that people might be able to buy a less expensive, less optimal flight and then use SDC to change to their preferred, but more expensive flight later?

And that they're just now realizing this, what, 8 years later, and have just figured out what to do about it?
No, they knew it all along. They weighed it. It either changed weight (unlikely IMHO) or they changed the scale.
indufan is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 10:41 pm
  #153  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: STL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, WN A-list, National EE
Posts: 51
Over the last 12 months and 75ish flights I've only SDC'd 5 or 6 times, but still feel that it is a nice benefit that Delta offers. If they are really concerned with their top flyers taking advantage of them then why not allow 5-10 SDC a year that are an actual benefit to flyer and then the rest under the potential new rules.

Over the same 12 months Delta has cut back the number of flights on the routes I fly and increased the cost of the ticket so without status there is no difference between them and the other airlines. If I were to start my flying today it would be really tough to start any loyality towards them.
mspphl is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 10:50 pm
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: MIA
Programs: Clank
Posts: 10,931
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Several years ago? DMs NEVER had unlimited international upgrades. I am not clear even when PMs. You use to earn one way upgrade certificates every so often. In my recollection, you always had to have an M fare or higher internationally to use any of them. That goes back 15 years.
True, I had to have M fares in 1999 and 2000 to use a PMU to Rome and London, but back then an M fare was only about $100 more than the LUT, so it might seem we didn't need an M fare.
Traveller is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 10:59 pm
  #155  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ATL
Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Posts: 1,964
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
In other words, you can't SDC from a ticketed 6am flight to a 1pm flight without paying $50 no matter what your medallion status is?
Correct (unless you are able to SDC multiple times using intermediary flights -- e.g., 6am -> 8am -> 10pm -> 1pm)

Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
And really? if you don't make the SDC request before before your ticketed flight time you lose the entire ticket?
It sounds like it, but this seems reasonable to me. Anyone who plans to SDC would surely know it before the departure of their original flight. I can think of only one instance in which a flyer could be adversely affected by this policy -- he or she unintentionally sleeps through the original flight and then wants to take a later one without penalty.
lamont2718 is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 11:43 pm
  #156  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Posts: 1,259
Presuming most people's NCAA brackets are blown, perhaps we should start a pool on what the post number will be when a DL rep finally chimes in to acknowledge that the cat may have escaped the bag (presuming they do of course) .
BamaGirl is offline  
Old Mar 28, 13, 11:47 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MCO
Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Posts: 8,690
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I haven't been able to SDC for a long time now, flights into/out of MCO are usually full. Years ago I was able to SDC quite often, today rarely.
Ditto....

My biggest beef here is the $50 fee gor DM outs ide the 3 hr window. DM is losing value by the moment....
Crazyhotelguy is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 12:04 am
  #158  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 125
I believe all of this devaluation nonsense--ALL of it--is related to one thing: AIRLINE CONSOLIDATION. Dropping from seven major carriers to just four is a massive shift in the industry, and these changes are only the tip of the iceberg.

Delta--and the others--no longer have to fight for your dollars. If they were really smart, they'd collude and simply all end FF programs at one fell swoop. Why give the customer something extra if you've got their business anyway? Give it to the shareholder instead.

These folks are having their day in the sun as they create a new thing called profit, something they've never seen before. Waiting in the wings, though, is a scary fact--the barriers to entry in this industry are relatively low. Find a big pocket or two, lease some planes, hire a few out-of-work pilots, set up a fly-by-night maintenance base, and BANG, you've got an airline.

In other words, I think it's only a matter of time until deregulation does what it does best and drives economic profits to zero. I for one will be cheering as I board the Easterns, TWAs, or Braniffs of the future. Enjoy it Delta. It won't last.
flightline is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 12:52 am
  #159  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,982
Originally Posted by flightline View Post
I believe all of this devaluation nonsense--ALL of it--is related to one thing: AIRLINE CONSOLIDATION. Dropping from seven major carriers to just four is a massive shift in the industry, and these changes are only the tip of the iceberg.

Delta--and the others--no longer have to fight for your dollars. If they were really smart, they'd collude and simply all end FF programs at one fell swoop. Why give the customer something extra if you've got their business anyway? Give it to the shareholder instead.

These folks are having their day in the sun as they create a new thing called profit, something they've never seen before. Waiting in the wings, though, is a scary fact--the barriers to entry in this industry are relatively low. Find a big pocket or two, lease some planes, hire a few out-of-work pilots, set up a fly-by-night maintenance base, and BANG, you've got an airline.

In other words, I think it's only a matter of time until deregulation does what it does best and drives economic profits to zero. I for one will be cheering as I board the Easterns, TWAs, or Braniffs of the future. Enjoy it Delta. It won't last.
Deregulation was 30 years ago and the overwhelming trend has been toward consolidation. It's extremely unlikely that significant competition arises to challenge the big 4 (well, big 3.5).

I also like the joke about giving something to shareholders. Nice touch.
HongKonger is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 1:12 am
  #160  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IND
Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Posts: 20,252
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Deregulation was 30 years ago and the overwhelming trend has been toward consolidation. It's extremely unlikely that significant competition arises to challenge the big 4 (well, big 3.5).
I disagree, I think the market is ripe for expansion again...assuming someone with lot of investment money is willing to give it a shot. It would help if fuel would go down.

For the record, I am NOT critical of Delta for making a profit and trying to make even more. It's the American way. Just try and not bite the hand that feeds you and I am getting a little tired of the us vs. them syndrome. But that is the increasing American way too.
indufan is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 1:17 am
  #161  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BUR
Programs: AA, DL Gold, AS, UA, VS, HA, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by Oakshadow View Post
And really? if you don't make the SDC request before before your ticketed flight time you lose the entire ticket?
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post
It sounds like it, but this seems reasonable to me. Anyone who plans to SDC would surely know it before the departure of their original flight. I can think of only one instance in which a flyer could be adversely affected by this policy -- he or she unintentionally sleeps through the original flight and then wants to take a later one without penalty.
Meeting times changes, accident on the interstate are a couple of reasons I've missed my ticketed flight. I can't say how common it is though. Had a humerous experience SDCing for a later flight one time.
Oakshadow is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 1:21 am
  #162  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA | IAD | BWI | BOS | OSL
Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Posts: 1,388
While I have status with Delta still...I have only flown them twice this year and it was on an award ticket, and one ticket to LGA due to a cheap one way.

Beyond that I've been flying UA/AA, ditch Delta already and stop complaining!
krpjr is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 1:22 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DTW, LAX, MBJ
Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
OK, Delta, about 12 minutes ago I posted this in our private forum on Facebook for my department. We are small but we are traveling machines. There are 16 of us. 14 fly on Delta exclusively. 12 of them are DMs. Well, there were 12, you lost a DM's loyalty last week over a myriad of reasons. Two of them are PM.

.
Similar situation with us. I am President of a small organization 15 employees10 on the road and 8 with status on DL. 3 DM 2 PM 2 GM and one FO who loves AA ( where she is EXP)

I have been okay paying more -- sometimes a lot more - for my folks to fly DL. because of SDC flexibility. We have never gamed, it has been a nice benefit that I HAD been willing to pay a ticket premium for. Sometimes meetings end early or with NYC traffic there is a challenge making it to the airport.

I refuse to pay more in fees on top of what I'm paying in fares.

I clearly realize that the $384,344 my company spent with them in 2012 is rounding error to the folks on Virgina Avenue.

IF this change comes to pass I will change my travel policy immediately to a best value ticket policy.

Loyalty is a two way street my a**
mapsgl is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 1:36 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SFO
Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat, IHG Plat, ex-NW PE
Posts: 49
Glad I trusted my gut and status matched to UA last year after the SWU/award ticket debacle with AF. I love Delta but this devaluation is too much to bear. I plan on shifting all of my business to UA going forward.
sme2009 is offline  
Old Mar 29, 13, 2:40 am
  #165  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,982
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Deregulation was 30 years ago and the overwhelming trend has been toward consolidation. It's extremely unlikely that significant competition arises to challenge the big 4 (well, big 3.5).
I disagree, I think the market is ripe for expansion again...assuming someone with lot of investment money is willing to give it a shot. It would help if fuel would go down.

For the record, I am NOT critical of Delta for making a profit and trying to make even more. It's the American way. Just try and not bite the hand that feeds you and I am getting a little tired of the us vs. them syndrome. But that is the increasing American way too.
New airlines come and go, mostly go, or they become niche players like the non-WN LCCs. It seems doubtful a new player will challenge the route network, especially international, and capacity of the legacies. The legacies will temporarily increase capacity and cut fares to drive them out, as they have always done since deregulation.

I also don't see fuel dropping significantly in price any time soon because all new oil finds are difficult and costly to extract or of lower quality but that is a topic for another thread.
HongKonger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: