Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade with Miles" at time of purchase being tested in select markets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

Starting yesterday, Delta is testing "upgrade with miles" at time of purchase in select markets. There are only ~10 city pairs currently live with this pilot.

It looks like the "cost" is consistent with "Pay With Miles" at one cent per mile.

This won't help medallion upgrades at the upgrade window!!!

At present, this is only available at delta.com.

Some screenshots below for your review.

Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does anyone know the full list of the ten city pairs? What fare classes are required? None of the examples above are deep discount coach fares. Does using miles result in 100% MQM? Or 150% for FC? Or zero for pay with miles? Finally, is it correct to assume that OP or RP upgrade inventory is needed?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:21 am

City pairs

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know what the 10 city pairs are?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does anyone know the full list of the ten city pairs? What fare classes are required? None of the examples above are deep discount coach fares. Does using miles result in 100% MQM? Or 150% for FC? Or zero for pay with miles? Finally, is it correct to assume that OP or RP upgrade inventory is needed?
+1 Million. What happens to MQM - MDM, etc
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Does anyone know the full list of the ten city pairs?
I saw the 10 city pairs but they aren't in front of me at the moment. 4 are above.

What fare classes are required? None of the examples above are deep discount coach fares.
I got it to work with anything that priced out in coach. And the first example is a "deep discount coach" in T bucket.

Does using miles result in 100% MQM? Or 150% for FC? Or zero for pay with miles?
I assume it is the same MQM as your PAID portion.

Finally, is it correct to assume that OP or RP upgrade inventory is needed?
No. See DL 565 on 29APR ATL-CVG. There is no RU/RP inventory as per EF, but you can upgrade for $99 or 9,900 miles.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
The mileage cost seems to vary by fare bucket as well.

A roundtrip T between MSP-SNA wanted 41,000 each way. A roundtrip K wanted 21,000.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
I did quick testing, it is booked as:
SA07A0QX/WNUP
(when you book a ticket, and use- upgrade with miles)
That seems to be a regular UP fare, eligible for miles and MQM. It seems like a copy/paste of the old NW system, with modifications to the pricing (e.g. 1 cpm is not a good deal, IMHO, but to each their own)

The cost in miles is based on 1 CPM from the rate that the website would offer you for an upgrade of the paid ticket...

e.g. ticket in T that requires 398 per direction for an UG would be 39,800 miles each way for UG
e.g. ticket in K that requires 59 per direction for an UG would be 5,900 miles each way for UG
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
looks like it's just allowing burn at a penny a mile on the standard UP fares... if they get people to take that, more power to 'em...

i'm particularly amused by the ATL-SJC flight at 16,900 miles.. if there's RP space available, that's a normal 12,500 mile domestic upgrade award....

wonder what happens if you change your flight -- the $$ upgrade is issuing a genuinely higher fare, so that can be applied. wonder what the receipt for the miles upgrade looks like....
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
Does using miles result in 100% MQM? Or 150% for FC? Or zero for pay with miles?
When I tried an ATL-CVG, the page initially said 625 RDMs/500 MQMs.

When I checked the "Upgrade to First Class for just 58,900 (!) miles per person each way," the page changed to say 937.5 RDMs/750 MQMs. It also changed the fare basis from "L" to "P." On the previous page, the price difference between an L and a P fare was exactly $589. So, this just appears to be a "pay with miles" way for people to buy up to a paid FC ticket (as Seat1A said).

Therefore, these fares appear to be eligible for the 50% MQM bonus.

It will be interesting to see if the MQM bonus "sticks," because regular PWM tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual, so it makes sense that the PWM upgrade wouldn't be eligible for the bonus miles - unless Delta REALLY wants to push these seats.

Unless, of course, there is an error in calculating and displaying the correct number of RDMs and MQMs earned. Thankfully, that NEVER happens on Delta's wonderful new website.

Without upgrade (625/500):

With upgrade (937.5/750):

Last edited by eturowski; Mar 27, 2013 at 11:51 am Reason: added screen shots
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:41 am

So, does this mean they will get rid of the fixed point UPGs on Y/B/M?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by james318

A roundtrip T between MSP-SNA wanted 41,000 each way. A roundtrip K wanted 21,000.
For the K fare, one can use the regular miles for upgrade and save a lot of miles. For the T fare, why not try to book a FC award ticket instead and compare the miles that are required?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
For the K fare, one can use the regular miles for upgrade and save a lot of miles.
Not to mention knowing that the upgrade is guaranteed at purchase - none of the waitlist crap or worrying if/when the miles will be pulled or phone-stalking Delta reps to try to get the upgrade through before that one last RP/OP spot slips away.

Last edited by eturowski; Mar 27, 2013 at 12:38 pm
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by james318

That is likely because the FARE difference was $410 vs. $210.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Titanium
Well this just lowered my UG expectations after dropping to GM this year from slim to none. I doubt my corporate booking tool is going to have this functionality, and I can see a ton of people taking advantage of this if the MQM bonuses stick.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Seat1A
i'm particularly amused by the ATL-SJC flight at 16,900 miles.. if there's RP space available, that's a normal 12,500 mile domestic upgrade award....
That's a big if across the network, and a huge if on ATL/SJC and v.v.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.