FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Isn't it kind of crappy to conduct a job interview in public in the Crown Room? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1452917-isnt-kind-crappy-conduct-job-interview-public-crown-room.html)

Traveller Mar 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I had an interview in the LGA Crown Room in 1999... actually I flew to NY for a few hours and the perspective employer met me at the airport but I asked him into the club since I had a membership with my DL PM at the time. It was a weekday and wasn't crowded back then. :eek:

I got an offer, but didn't take it. I should have!! :o

sbjnyc Mar 27, 2013 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 20494334)
So I can fully understand your point; you feel an interviewer asking an interviewee personal questions in an airport lounge in a quiet area where all around can not help but hear is the same as interviewing at a restaurant and that even though they came and sat down right next to me and started talking at a volume commonly used in an office meeting or restaurant, to the point where I had to move in order to hear myself think, is actually my problem for interloping on their conversation to the point that I actually rectally assaulted myself with a stick?

What kind of personal questions are we talking about, the legal ones or the illegal ones?

murphysxm Mar 27, 2013 6:24 pm

I have done 6 phone interviews from a lounge, one last week. We are busy, it is what it is. How is this more personal than over hearing deal points from the jerk off sitting in the middle of the room screaming into his phone. It is by no means ideal, bit I don't see it as that big of a deal.

tmontemb Mar 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 20494284)
It was two ladies, one interviewing and one being interviewed. They set up a few seats away from me and went to it. Unlike a lunch interview, this was in a quieter area of the club and there were a number of people around. I could not help but hear it as everyone else was quiet as they were talking like they were at lunch. I actually got up a left as I could not concentrate on my own work at hand. I just do not think it is in good tact to make someone spill their life out like that in that situation....

How was the banter? Did the interviewee seem competent?

djk7 Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by tmontemb (Post 20492793)
There actually is something referenced in the Terms & Conditions of a Sky Club membership specifically regarding interviewing in the club... read it a few days ago.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...use-rules.html

Good catch, actually against the SC rules. I wonder what would have happened if the OP reported it.

Readynow Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

From the skyclub rules:

"Business meetings and job applicant interviews are not permitted in any Delta Sky Club except in the conference rooms. Use of conference room will be at applicable rates."

Tomphot Mar 27, 2013 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by murphysxm (Post 20494569)
I have done 6 phone interviews from a lounge, one last week. We are busy, it is what it is.

When ever I'm in an airport and need to take an important call (I would assume a job interview is Important) I make SURE I have a quiet place to do it. If it takes renting someplace to do it, it's minor in the big picture.

GRALISTAIR Mar 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 20494334)
So I can fully understand your point; I actually rectally assaulted myself with a stick?

Sounds painful

Thomas Hudson Mar 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by murphysxm (Post 20494569)
I have done 6 phone interviews from a lounge, one last week. We are busy, it is what it is. How is this more personal than over hearing deal points from the jerk off sitting in the middle of the room screaming into his phone. It is by no means ideal, bit I don't see it as that big of a deal.

The other person was not there in your case... Huge difference. I am busy too, but one must never put that ahead of respect for the person one is dealing with.... Not saying you do not necessarily, but I feel we all sometimes let technology get in the way of communication...

Thomas Hudson Mar 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by tmontemb (Post 20494591)
How was the banter? Did the interviewee seem competent?

The entire thing made me feel uncomfortable... And that is hard to do quite frankly....

SOBE ER DOC Mar 27, 2013 9:42 pm

i find this entire thread and the indignity that some people are expressing somewhat laughable.

Some people have work situations where meeting in an airport over a long layover makes sense. Personally, I would rather be interviewed in an airline lounge than over the phone. I want to look the person I'm interviewing or being interviewed by in the eye. Those of you who think it is unacceptable likely have a calendar that is a bit more accommodating.

As for the SC T&Cs, this smells of DL trying to capitalize on a revenue opportunity. Given their unwillingness to enforce the other T&Cs such as appropriate attire, business-like atmosphere, children thinking it's a playground and drunk people slobbering all over the bar, clamping down on this would be ridiculous.

I agree with one of the earlier posts...people need to just mind their own business.

Orange County Commuter Mar 27, 2013 10:15 pm

Not as "crappy" as the time I heard a Partner at a Big 4 CPA firm LOUDLY discuss, by name, the individuals he thought should be let go

Thomas Hudson Mar 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC (Post 20495376)
i find this entire thread and the indignity that some people are expressing somewhat laughable.

Some people have work situations where meeting in an airport over a long layover makes sense. Personally, I would rather be interviewed in an airline lounge than over the phone. I want to look the person I'm interviewing or being interviewed by in the eye. Those of you who think it is unacceptable likely have a calendar that is a bit more accommodating.

As for the SC T&Cs, this smells of DL trying to capitalize on a revenue opportunity. Given their unwillingness to enforce the other T&Cs such as appropriate attire, business-like atmosphere, children thinking it's a playground and drunk people slobbering all over the bar, clamping down on this would be ridiculous.

I agree with one of the earlier posts...people need to just mind their own business.

I minded my own business. Frankly, I could have alerted one of the lounge folks or I could have told her to shut the good hell up... Instead, I walked away... I still think it is tacky and unprofessional to conduct that kind of business in that setting. What does it say about you when you do not offer a modicum of respect to the person you are attempting to hire? If you want to chat with someone... Sure.... But hold their resume out and read it within earshot of dozens of people? Come on.... I know you are not selling that...

Thomas Hudson Mar 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 20495402)
Not as "crappy" as the time I heard a Partner at a Big 4 CPA firm LOUDLY discuss, by name, the individuals he thought should be let go

I think those type actions are all in the same boat...

Greysword Mar 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson (Post 20495272)
I am busy too, but one must never put that ahead of respect for the person one is dealing with.... Not saying you do not necessarily, but I feel we all sometimes let technology get in the way of communication...

. The true point of the thread.

Excellent points, and something I need to remind myself at times. Thanks Thomas. ^