Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

BFUGs How Are Cleared Seats Assigned i.e 2a vs 1c

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

As BFUGs become the norm vs exception for myself, wondering how once the BFUG clears the resulting seat is assigned i.e. how do I end up with 2b vs 4a? Is this generated automatically by the computer or does the GA go through the list and assign each seat? Is there anyway to influence this process? Talk to gate agent, change something in my profile, sacrifice a few kettles? Obviously happy with any UG but if multiple seats available would prefer to avoid a bulkhead.

thx in advance for any insight
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by vskflyer
As BFUGs become the norm vs exception for myself, wondering how once the BFUG clears the resulting seat is assigned i.e. how do I end up with 2b vs 4a? Is this generated automatically by the computer or does the GA go through the list and assign each seat? Is there anyway to influence this process? Talk to gate agent, change something in my profile, sacrifice a few kettles? Obviously happy with any UG but if multiple seats available would prefer to avoid a bulkhead.

thx in advance for any insight
There was a post a week or two back where someone hung around the GA and watched over her shoulder as upgrades cleared. They saw her individually assigning people to seats, one by one, including putting the peeping tom in the specific seat he had requested a few mins earlier. He pointed out that it's not definitive, since there's no way to know if the GA would have just had seats automatically assigned if he had not made the request.

So no definitive answer, but it does show that the GA CAN indeed assign manually. The next best theory is that it assigns people based on their saved aisle/window preference and goes in upgrade priority.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
I would think your "preferred seat type" on dl.dumb could be taken into consideration, when available. I seem to always get my preferred seat type when I am auto-assigned tickets at purchase and when I am upgraded in advance.

https://www.delta.com/profile/flight...sAction.action

It is also possible that the GA just sticks any upgraded folks wherever he/she can in an attempt to clear upgrades in a timely fashion without delaying departure.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
I left a note requesting an non-bulkhead asile seat "if I was so lucky to get an upgrade" and a "Job Well Done" cert on a keyboard at a gate for a EWR->PDX flight. The GA wasn't there yet and I wasn't interested in waiting around until they showed up (instead I went to eat). I "needed" the aisle as I had just ran a marathon the day before and sitting for long periods would cause me to cramp. Getting up at will and being able to stretch into the aisle would help this cramping.

Upgrade cleared and I had the seat I wanted.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
On a recent SFO-JFK flight, I was #4 on the UG list for 4 remaining BE seats. There were 2 remaining aisle seats. I asked the GA whether it would be possible to be assigned to one of the aisle seats if my upgrade cleared, and she said I would have to take whatever seat was left. Ultimately I ended up with 1A a few minutes later (but was quite happy with the upgrade regardless).

This is an inconclusive data point, but wanted to share anyway. A few possibilities:
1) The GA felt obligated to assign the remaining 4 seats in order of UG priority and based on the passengers' preferred seat types (likely)
2) Two people on the UG list ahead of me had already made the same request (unlikely)
3) She was lazy (unlikely)

Originally Posted by vskflyer
Is there anyway to influence this process? Talk to gate agent, change something in my profile, sacrifice a few kettles?
To the OP -- yes, yes, and yes.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I have always been under the assumption the GA does it. Yes they would normally just go down the upg list, but then it is a crap shoot. Do they do all of row 2/ IE 2 a,b,c & d followed by 3 etc. Or do they do like the system and do b & c seats followed by a & d. I have been able to ask the ga for an aisle when I knew I would make it, and maybe jumped the order by asking.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
This is a new term for me. What is a BFUG?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Battlefield Upgrade
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Last week I was #1 on the BFUG list for two seats, and the GAs had a line of people waiting to talk to them before upgrades cleared. I could see on the CR9 seatmap one was a bulkhead (1B) and one was a window seat (2D). Since my laptop bag will fit under a CR9 seat but not in an overhead, I hoped for the best. When the upgrades cleared, I was in 1B. A minute later a GA finally had a minute I asked her if I could switch. A few keystrokes later and I was in 2D.

I figure they went with the aisle preference from my profile. As far as I know there is no place to indicate a non-bulkhead preference. Actually I do prefer "bulkhead" seats on planes with a curtain instead of an actual bulkhead when I'm sitting in EC.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by aviatorzz
Thanks for asking as I was just about to do the same. I had imagined all manor of words to match up with the letters and came up with a lot of variations ... most of which were highly obscene
Old Mar 26, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by eturowski
I would think your "preferred seat type" on dl.dumb could be taken into consideration,
That doesn't transfer to the airport, unfortunately.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:38 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles FO
A week and a half ago, my fiancee & I were 5 & 6 of 10 with 7 seats. 1C & 1D were open along with 5 window seats. We were worried we weren't going to be seated together since we were lower on the list. Lo and behold, when we picked up our new BPs, we were in 1C & 1D. We were on the same PNR, so I assume the GA sat us together because of that.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Rocco7799
A week and a half ago, my fiancee & I were 5 & 6 of 10 with 7 seats. 1C & 1D were open along with 5 window seats. We were worried we weren't going to be seated together since we were lower on the list. Lo and behold, when we picked up our new BPs, we were in 1C & 1D. We were on the same PNR, so I assume the GA sat us together because of that.
Do you share the last name? This could be a clue too ^
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:54 am

I've benefited from the GA's ability to assign the upgraded seat, and I've been a victim of it.

I'll almost always ask the GA for my preferred seat, as depending on a/c I would rather have 1A on a CR7/9 than 3D, but that would be different on any other a/c.

I had one instance where the upgrade monitor displayed one assignment, but had the GA had me assigned differently. This was a case where the GA took it upon themselves to shuffle everyone in F to accommodate a couple. "How RUDE!"
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:54 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I've been #1 on the list with 9+ open seats where my profile preferences specifies aisle seating. BP scan printed out 1A. It really matters how the GA assigns seats, but have encountered times where its just move and assign first open seat to first name and repeat. I don't complain where I get put as it beats being in the back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.