Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"No Tip?" Lousy Baggage Delivery Attitude

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 5:40 am
Original Poster

My baggage was delayed coming into BNA - and service at BNA baggage office was as usual, exemplary.

However, the third party service provider who sent my luggage to me place later that evening actually had the cheek to ask for a tip. This is ludicrous.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by currentjer
My baggage was delayed coming into BNA - and service at BNA baggage office was as usual, exemplary.

However, the third party service provider who sent my luggage to me place later that evening actually had the cheek to ask for a tip. This is ludicrous.
How is it ludicrous?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: DL,BA,KE
Isn't this along the lines of the guy who washes your windows while you're stuck at a red light then expects money?
Didn't really want the "service" of the airlines losing your bags so they could send someone upteen miles to deliver it, then ask for a tip, but it creates that same awkward moment.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Tips are for the service provided by the individual, not part of the cost of the service provided. That is the essence of a tip. If the individual who physically delivered the bag did his/her job passably well, s/he deserves an appropriate tip. Maybe the driver ought to be paid more, the service charge the carrier more and the carrier charge more for tickets so that you pay in that way, but that's not how it works.

It's neither ludicrous to expect a tip nor fair not to.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Asking for a tip is rude...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by Often1
Tips are for the service provided by the individual, not part of the cost of the service provided. That is the essence of a tip. If the individual who physically delivered the bag did his/her job passably well, s/he deserves an appropriate tip. Maybe the driver ought to be paid more, the service charge the carrier more and the carrier charge more for tickets so that you pay in that way, but that's not how it works.

It's neither ludicrous to expect a tip nor fair not to.
Except this service provided was not an elected service, such as having a sky cap bring your bags to your car. The service provided was in consolation because the airline mishandled his baggage. I'm quite sure the OP would rather have had his bags returned to him at the appropriate time and not at a different time of the airline choosing.
altabello and Gullywhumper like this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM HH Gold Marriott Gold IHG Spire
Absolutely ludicrous. Especially the part about asking for a tip when the service provided isn't a service requested.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Up to DL to provide the tip. They're the ones who requested the service.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by currentjer
This is ludicrous.
And the fact you did not offer one says as much about you as it does the driver.....
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Yeap, if I don't tip, it says that I'm a big fat stingy screwed up petulant kid who has not been taught manners - and in aforementioned "fact", refuses to learn any.

Since when was tipping mandatory rather than customary? A tip should be welcomed, not expected. It's rude to ask for one. Moreover, DL & 3rd party service provider must realize that this is customer service recovery, the last thing you want is to further inconvenience your customer, make him/her fork out more money and time, or place him/her in an awkward situation.
altabello and BenSenise like this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:34 am

I remember those jerks. They hinted at a tip one time when they delivered mine. Of course I knew it had come in at 9 PM and it was 2 AM when they started banging on my door......

At 2 AM I don't tip!
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't see how the baggage delivery employees are any different from UPS or FedEx drivers, who don't get tips. This is not like a bellhop who you asked to bring your bags to your room. This is the airline shipping your bags to you because they fouled up transporting them.
altabello likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:42 am

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
Last time my baggage was 'delayed", they delivered to my home at 4 AM. I gave the driver a tip - deliver during normal work hours.
altabello and FlyingNone like this.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
I remember those jerks. They hinted at a tip one time when they delivered mine. Of course I knew it had come in at 9 PM and it was 2 AM when they started banging on my door......

At 2 AM I don't tip!
2 AM is when I start tipping...
Old Mar 21, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't see how the baggage delivery employees are any different from UPS or FedEx drivers, who don't get tips. This is not like a bellhop who you asked to bring your bags to your room. This is the airline shipping your bags to you because they fouled up transporting them.
^ +1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.