FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Unused tickets from 1996! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1449944-unused-tickets-1996-a.html)

emaij Mar 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Unused tickets from 1996!

In 1996 I had purchased 2 tickets YUL-LGA. We were unable to travel and canceled the flights before travel We were told that the value of the tickets would be face, minus $100 per ticket, with no expiration.

That does sound strange in 2013. But I had actually verified it 10 years after the fact. My memory is a bit foggy, but I had called Delta a few years ago and was reassured that they still had value.

I know it's a bit crazy to expect to be able to use it now, but I did hold on to them and I am pretty certain that value was grandfathered into them.

When I call now, they have no idea what I'm talking about. The tickets are too old to be in their system.

Does anyone here know what I'm talking about? I'm ready to let this go... but just in case someone has something to contribute, I thought I'd post it.

tvnwz Mar 20, 2013 2:54 pm

You haven't flown Delta in 17 years? Are you planning on doing it now?

If they have no expiration date, they have no expiration date. You may have to jump through some hoops to make it all happen, but I would imagine it is doable.

Often1 Mar 20, 2013 3:03 pm

Why not call DL and ask?

dw Mar 20, 2013 3:05 pm

Are they paper tickets? If so, maybe you could try bringing them to a ticketing office or airport counter.

emaij Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm

I have flown Delta. But these were such a pain to use I've just had them in a drawer.

I also called Delta and since they couldn't pull it up in their system, they couldn't help me. I spoke to a Supervisor who was also pretty clueless.

Is there something online that I could use to show them what the policy was?

They are paper tickets.

hockeystl Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by emaij (Post 20453745)
just in case someone has something to contribute, I thought I'd post it.

Have you tried contacting Customer Care, rather than the generic reservations number?

If not, give this a shot:

Delta Air Lines, Inc.
Customer Care
P.O. Box 20980
Department 980
Atlanta, GA 30320-2980

Phone: 1-404-773-0305
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-7pm ET

JoelA Mar 20, 2013 3:26 pm

All good ideas and if does not work out - you may be able to get some $$$ from collectors of that sort of stuff on E-bay ;)

HongKonger Mar 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Just when you think you've heard it all...

emaij Mar 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Just got off the phone with Delta. They managed to find someone who was around in 1996. He confirmed that they have value. They said that since it is not in their system, I would have to take it to the airport to get them to apply the value. I'm going to try that but I'm skeptical... We shall see.

buckeyefanflyer Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm

Consider yourself Lucky. These days even on WN a ticket would never be good when 1 year has passed.

emaij Mar 20, 2013 3:56 pm

I am not yet counting my chickens.

menton1 Mar 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by emaij (Post 20454095)
I am not yet counting my chickens.

Contact Customer Service in Atlanta.
Toll Free:
866-715-2170

If getting resistance, drop the name of Kristen Shovlin (Director of Customer Service). Get escalated. At least get to one of her staff.

I have had some good experiences in the past with Delta CS. They even held a ticket because of an illness for 2 years! Never charged me any fees, or anything. Even got me a good seat!

P.S. Why can't you fax or email it to them? Going to the airport without traveling is a royal hassle...

emaij Mar 20, 2013 5:18 pm

I agree about the hassle of going to the airport. But I'm dropping someone off tomorrow morning... So I will drop by the Delta desk (and hope someone is there). If that does not pan out I will be following your advice. Thanks!

cfischer Mar 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by menton1 (Post 20454145)

P.S. Why can't you fax or email it to them? Going to the airport without traveling is a royal hassle...

Fax a paperticket? They will need the actual coupon. Instead of going to airport the OP might be able to mail it in. Sure it's a pain, but for a 1996 ticket you have to use 1996 processes ;)

Starblazer Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Paper tickets are treated like cash in Deltas eyes, for the most part. Take it into an airport and you'll see the experience will be better, but with a lot of weird looks and "omg i haven't seen one of these in ages" types of responses.