Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Wait times for MSP Immigration / Customs?

Old Mar 19, 13, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass

Will be flying through MSP this Saturday afternoon (arriving about 1:30pm) international to domestic. Have never been through MSP immigration and customs and wanted to get an idea on what the lines were like at that time of day. Any insight since 1-March when lines may have gotten longer is specifically appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
Old Mar 19, 13, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
I came through from AMS around noon on March 4. Piece of cake. You have to claim your bag right there and recheck it with the agents there. I think for me it took a grand total of 15-20 minutes. Obviously, it could take longer and I was in EC so was quickly off the plane.

Once you complete customs, you go through security once again which spills you into the beginning of the G concourse.
Old Mar 19, 13, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM/2.8 MM; Hertz PC; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Rewards Silver
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
Will be flying through MSP this Saturday afternoon (arriving about 1:30pm) international to domestic. Have never been through MSP immigration and customs and wanted to get an idea on what the lines were like at that time of day. Any insight since 1-March when lines may have gotten longer is specifically appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg
In January 2012 I returned to the USA via a Delta AMS-MSP flight. The wait at immigration, bag claim and customs was the shortest I can ever remember on any of my trips from abroad back home. Including a 5 minute wait to go through the TSA check-point, my total transit time from plane to the Sky Club in Concourse E-F could not have been more than 15 minutes.
Old Mar 19, 13, 5:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GregL View Post

Thanks,
Greg
I think my personal record for customs and immigration at MSP is about 120 seconds from entering the customs hall to exiting to the curb. And that was before I got global entry.

My wife and I were in F coming back from PVR earlier this year and walked into a completely empty customs hall. Handed the agent our declaration form, passports were stamped and we were out. Helped that we hadn't checked bags and were in the first row of F, but my experience coming back from NRT last summer isn't dramatically different. Maybe 15 minutes total wait, and that was coming from the back cabin in Y and with my bag getting stuck on the conveyor belt.

In short, if I could ONLY go through customs/immigration at MSP, I'd be a happy man.
Old Mar 19, 13, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Coming back from LHR on a Monday afternoon in January, last out of the BE cabin, first into the GE kiosk, we were on the G concourse within 5 minutes.

Factor in whether one of the biggies- AMS or NRT arrives on/about the same time. Otherwise, fortunately for you, DL has steadily limited the international destinations to/from MSP.
Old Mar 19, 13, 11:32 pm

Programs: DL GM; HH gold
CDG-MSP in February. Arrival ~1:30PM on a Thursday. Took less than 10 minutes from plane>immigration>customs>security re-check (no checked luggage btw). Easiest entry into the US I ever experienced.
Old Mar 20, 13, 2:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
MSP customs is generally excellent but DL does seem to have some of their international arrivals scheduled around the same time, which can lead to some delays if immigration hasn't finished processing the earlier flight's passengers yet.

Sometimes the bag claim belt number that's posted is wrong. I often see SkyPriority bags appear on the other belt, so try to position yourself where you can watch everything if you checked a bag.
Old Mar 20, 13, 5:53 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I spend way more time waiting for bags to come off the baggage belt than it takes me to get cleared by passport control desk and customs personnel at MSP, but that speaks to when I have checked bags.

Things usually move very quickly at MSP on arrival from overseas except when I have checked bags, but then the delay of relevance is checked baggage claim belt delivery time.
Old Mar 20, 13, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I wonder if we are going to see immigration wait times substantially increase with the cuts that useless Janet Napolitano is implementing, with the obvious intent to try to maximize the pain effects of the sequester on the public.
Old Mar 20, 13, 7:55 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
I wonder if we are going to see immigration wait times substantially increase with the cuts that useless Janet Napolitano is implementing, with the obvious intent to try to maximize the pain effects of the sequester on the public.
I haven't seen that yet, although all this playing chicken over the budget process has been going on.

The maximized "pain effects" are far more from the "security" and related paranoia that has been going on for more than several years when it comes to travel matters at US airports, US ports of entry and otherwise. The "sequester" hitting ought to be a great boon for travelers if the American public stops buying into the "security" and related paranoia that has been a steady part of the national diet way too long and way too much -- unfortunately the diet is not going to be changing anytime soon.

MSP is one of the least likely places where a major disruption is going to be maximized as a result of the governmental game of chicken -- feeling the impact at US CBP controlled areas at MSP is unlikely to feel like a lot.
Old Mar 20, 13, 9:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Agree with the general sentiment of others in this thread. The CBP/immigration at MSP is about as painless as any other port of entry in the U.S. that I've experienced. Even if you're in the back of the plane, unless you are behind another international arrival, you should be in and out in a matter of 10-15 minutes, tops. If your arrival is the first of the international bank or the only one for a time period, your wait will be much shorter.

There are some new food options immediately outside the bag re-check/TSA checkpoint that I've found worth checking out, including a Japanese/noodle restaurant where the old Wolfgang Puck's used to be.
Old Mar 20, 13, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL DM MM - IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Agree with the general sentiment of others in this thread. The CBP/immigration at MSP is about as painless as any other port of entry in the U.S. that I've experienced. Even if you're in the back of the plane, unless you are behind another international arrival, you should be in and out in a matter of 10-15 minutes, tops. If your arrival is the first of the international bank or the only one for a time period, your wait will be much shorter.
+1 I would also add that the immigration, customs and security recheck staff at MSP is the friendliest of any US point-of-entry. On a 1-10 scale, if the JFK T3 international arrival experience is a 1, the MSP arrival experience is a 10. ^
Old Mar 21, 13, 10:49 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
AMS-MSP Delta 0259, 12 March. Landed at approx. 13h25 at skyclub G concourse at around 14h15.
Comming as one of the last out of BE immigrations took like 5 minutes...waiting for the baggage to appear at bag claim....25 minutes...(priority label kind of useless there) recheck & customs again another 5 minutes.

Last edited by Grouchy; Mar 21, 13 at 10:55 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: