I want to fly on a 747

Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:34 am
Formerly known as scootr29

My wife and I flew back from Paris to ATL on a AF 747...in the lower section row 54 J and K....one of the few 2 seats.....it was ok
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by CO FF
I don't think anyone uses a 747 for positioning flights in the US, do they?
Delta shuffles their 747s around a couple times a year between SEA, ATL, DTW, LAX, etc. I haven't yet managed to get on one, but FTers sometimes post up the reposition routes.

Samples:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...perations.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ov-2012-a.html
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: Nada!
I had a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore on a 747 once. The flight was maybe 40 minutes. It was packed too.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Just adding another "me too" to the chorus. I had never flown in a 747 until last year, when I managed to score an upper deck seat on QF from LAX-SYD. UD is all J on the QF 747. It was so quiet and private compared to any other J seats I've had, including the return flight on the UD of their A380.

It's still the "Queen of the Skies" in my limited experience.

W
Old Mar 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
KLM does daily 747-400 service between AMS-YYZ all summer long (it switches to a 777 or A330 in winter). For the OP, that would satisfy miles accumulation too.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 3:29 pm

i actually almost made this thread the other day. ive always had a fascination with airplanes since i was a youngster. My dad is a big airplane enthusiast and thats where i get it from. i flew a lot growing up but nothing crazy. Mostly to florida, the west coast and new york. All from CVG. I grew up flying delta and try to fly it whenever I can. Live in columbus ohio now and my options are limited. I fly about twice a month (2 separate trips) to the east coast for work. I never have a reason to go anyplace overseas unless its for vacation. But never have had the opportunity to get on a 747. I am always looking for a way to get on! Its on the bucket list. Im always looking for a random flight domestically that i could get on! But to the OP, good luck on your adventure, if you ever find something please let me know!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HMPS
Meant to say TG flies the 747 BKK BOM. Same day turn possible.
That might be a problem as both US and UK passports need Indian visas.
Then again, I have not connected in India before although I have been there.
If a transit protocol exists, I would also expect it to not be very easy.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One of my strange 747 memories was on a domestic JAL flight in a blizzard. I was scheduled to fly NW TPAC into the old Osaka airport, shortly before KIX was built, in order to connect to Sendai without needing to do the NRT to HND transfer in Tokyo. Sendai got about fourteen inches of snow that day in March and the airport closed. I was frantically paged in Osaka, given a refund in cash for the fare difference and rebooked on a flight to HND, with instructions to go to Tokyo Station and take the bullet train to Sendai. The locals were very impressed that I managed to arrive.

The JAL 747 flight was about an hour long in a coach only configuration where it looked like I was the only foreigner. The main deck wasn't divided into cabins, there were no galleys, and there weren't lavatories located in the center to divide the space. When you boarded, it looked like a huge hanger filled with five hundred identical and tightly packed coach seats. I was given an exit row seat at the boarding door so that the crew, who spoke only minimal English, could look after me. During the flight, the purser brought me a cash register receipt size piece of thermal paper printed in Japanese characters with instructions how to get from HND to Tokyo station using trains and subways and then the schedule for bullet trains to Sendai. This had been printed in the cockpit for me during the flight. It was an amazing experience.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Been on 747 twice on NW. Not with new BE seats. Both upper deck. It felt like we would never take off going down the runway. Going to be on A380 upper deck in July so will see if it feels any different.

Dragging my carry on up those stairs was not fun and deplaning you feel like you are the back of the plane when you get down fighting the crowds.

You do feel like you have the plane to yourself in the upper deck though
Forget the couple minutes of pain carrying your bag up/down the stairs. That wears off quickly. Instead concentrate on what feels like your own private jet, only 14 seats upstairs on the 747 remod with 1-1 lie-flat seating. Last time on NRT-DTW, FA had one of those battery-operated candles in the upstairs galley without the other lights on that may bother pax. That was so cool, I gave her a JWD cert.

Originally Posted by Dovster
If you do get on a Delta 747, try to get an upstairs seat in row 80. It is the only seat in that row and you feel like you are in your own, private, airplane.
One of those to-each-his-own things I guess. Personally don't care for row 80 because it is closest to the galley and some pax periodically walk back there for whatever. Also closest to the steps, not that many pax take walks on these flts. Of course, don't care to be close to the lav either. My personal pref is row 77, the 'exit row' that give a lot of room away from the row in front.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:19 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I once flew from OAK - SFO. We were on a JAL 747 from NRT - SFO that was diverted because of fog and had to sit for 2 hours until SFO reopened - then waited forever to clear customs because 6 wide bodies arrived at about the same time.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
One of my strange 747 memories was on a domestic JAL flight in a blizzard. I was scheduled to fly NW TPAC into the old Osaka airport, shortly before KIX was built, in order to connect to Sendai without needing to do the NRT to HND transfer in Tokyo. Sendai got about fourteen inches of snow that day in March and the airport closed. I was frantically paged in Osaka, given a refund in cash for the fare difference and rebooked on a flight to HND, with instructions to go to Tokyo Station and take the bullet train to Sendai. The locals were very impressed that I managed to arrive.

The JAL 747 flight was about an hour long in a coach only configuration where it looked like I was the only foreigner. The main deck wasn't divided into cabins, there were no galleys, and there weren't lavatories located in the center to divide the space. When you boarded, it looked like a huge hanger filled with five hundred identical and tightly packed coach seats. I was given an exit row seat at the boarding door so that the crew, who spoke only minimal English, could look after me. During the flight, the purser brought me a cash register receipt size piece of thermal paper printed in Japanese characters with instructions how to get from HND to Tokyo station using trains and subways and then the schedule for bullet trains to Sendai. This had been printed in the cockpit for me during the flight. It was an amazing experience.
that was almost certainly one of the 747SR variants I mentioned in an upthread post
Old Mar 19, 2013, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Nice story ^
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by NWAFA
At one point, NWA had the world's largest 747 fleet in the world with over 40 ships!
BA still have 50+ 744's ^
Old Jun 24, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Well it was not worth starting a new thread so I bumped this one. It is also a bit of a cheat. Decided to make a quick trip to see my mother late August. So booked using miles to go to Manchester UK using miles. It was 95,000 and 260$ copay.
August 22nd - MCI-ATL-MAN DL1250/64

August 25th MAN-MCO-ATL-MCI VS75/DL1980/DL2363

So using DL Skymiles on a DL itinerary but on leg on VS- VS75 is operated using a 747-400 YEAH

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Jun 24, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I burned virtually all my CO miles to bring my wife and then-17-year-old son with me on a conference trip to Europe a few years back ... managed to score two Upper Class award seats (and, amazingly, an upgrade for myself) on VS 45, LHR-JFK ... appropriately enough, the registry was G-VWOW

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.