FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   @DeltaAssist How to Twitter?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1448025-deltaassist-how-twitter.html)

stan1162 Mar 14, 2013 3:21 pm

@DeltaAssist How to Twitter??

I am not a social media user. No FB, no Twitter until now.

I only signed up for Twitter because @deltaAssist seems to be a useful tool.

I am following this links "How-to", but am confused.

I opened a Twitter account today, but do not need deltaassist help yet.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/deltap...-how-to-guide/

I understand that the Tweeting has to be done in a DM. In order to do that, I have to have deltaassist "follow" me? Do I do that now, for future use, or right before I tweet them (ask them to follow me)

Does that make any sense?

MS02113 Mar 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 20420443)
I understand that the Tweeting has to be done in a DM. In order to do that, I have to have deltaassist "follow" me? Do I do that now, for future use, or right before I tweet them (ask them to follow me)?

Just send @DeltaAssist a generic public tweet, and they will follow you within a few minutes. Once they're following, you can direct message (DM) them with the private details of your inquiry.

Incidentally, I just used the @DeltaAssist service (and Twitter, for that matter) for the first time last Friday. They were a great help.

SuperG1955 Mar 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Get them to follow you now so that when you need to use it, you can. It'll also get you some basic knowledge about Twitter and how to DM.

BTW, the DeltaPoints explanation is good, just take your time.

amolkold Mar 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Yes, and be aware that @Delta is more of a Delta news/PR/announcement account while @DeltaAssist is the account for actual help.

DP's explanation is good. Just make sure you understand what a tweet is and what a direct message is. Tweets are public (unless you set a private account) while direct messages are like short e-mails that are private between you and the recipient. I only DM with @DeltaAssist now that they follow me, usually with "Name, Skymiles # OR Conf #, and description of problem"

stan1162 Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks!

I do not plan to Tweet anyone. I have nothing to say, and nobody is interested. I will ONLY DM. I wouldn't sign up for Twitter, except it appears Delta problems seem to get attention faster through @deltaAssist.

I have asked them to follow me, and they replied "How can I help"?

Do I have to reply (not that I can figure out how), or am I now "on file" and able to use the DM feature should I or DH who is the elite, have any issues.

Is there anything else for me to do? I never have to log back in to Twitter ever, unless I need need @deltaAssist's help.

I dont want/plan to use Twitter for anything else.

amolkold Mar 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 20420859)
Do I have to reply (not that I can figure out how), or am I now "on file" and able to use the DM feature should I or DH who is the elite, have any issues.

If you are following @DeltaAssist (which it sounds like you are) and they are following you (which they likely are now that they responded to your tweet), you are good to DM ^

stan1162 Mar 14, 2013 5:38 pm

Ok, thanks

Originally Posted by amolkold (Post 20420941)
If you are following @DeltaAssist (which it sounds like you are) and they are following you (which they likely are now that they responded to your tweet), you are good to DM ^

I am following them, they are following me.

One last question, if I need assistance, do I need to send a general tweet to them and THEN a DM, or can I go straight to the DM from the DM button, without any "advance" notice of an incoming DM?

amolkold Mar 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 20421106)

One last question, if I need assistance, do I need to send a general tweet to them and THEN a DM, or can I go straight to the DM from the DM button, without any "advance" notice of an incoming DM?

You can just DM them, though I usually also tweet a "just sent a DM regarding flight" with @DeltaAssist in the message. I have no clue what their workflow is, so I just send the tweet just in case.

18sas Mar 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 20421106)

You can only direct message twitter users who follow you. The public tweet is just a one-time thing to get them to follow you. You don't need to do that again.

You aren't obligated to reply now via a dm. And the next time you want to communicate, go straight to the dm panel and send the dm from there.

And double check before you DM to make sure you're not sending a public tweet.

That can really cost you. Just ask Anthony Weiner.

stan1162 Mar 15, 2013 8:21 am

Thank you all very much!

Excellent.

I will be very careful about making sure it is a DM. Kind of like making sure you don't "Reply All" to an email when you only want it to go to one specific person!

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

ryanm Mar 15, 2013 10:03 am

I asked @DeltaAssist to follow me about 20 minutes ago and haven't heard back. I'm a total rookie at this and quite possibly goofed, but is a 20 minute (and counting) wait normal?

gooselee Mar 15, 2013 11:18 am

One additional thing I've noticed - in the new DL.com (within My Profile, in the Basic Info box), there is a place to include/edit your twitter handle.

Though I never actively provided this through DL.com, it does have my correct twitter account, so I think that @DLAssist puts a note in your Skymiles profile after they identify who you are. And I suppose you could help them out by just adding it in yourself on DL.com.

I tested this a couple weeks ago (by accident, actually, just forgot to put in the PNR like I usually do) when the DL app wouldn't let me pick an EC seat for some reason. Just DM'd something like "Trying to get seat 10C on AAA-BBB tomorrow but phone app won't save it." They came right back and said they'd assigned the seat, and my seat map immediately showed the correction when I went back and checked.

stan1162 Mar 15, 2013 2:42 pm

Wish I knew

Originally Posted by ryanm (Post 20424567)
I asked @DeltaAssist to follow me about 20 minutes ago and haven't heard back. I'm a total rookie at this and quite possibly goofed, but is a 20 minute (and counting) wait normal?

It took them about 5-10 minutes for them to follow me. I sent it just as a "regular" tweet. They came back and asked what they could help me with. I didnt need help so I just said "setting up my account" or something like that.

And now, on my delta app on my phone, it says DeltaAssist follows you.

When I click on the flydelta icon on my phone, the first page at the bottom, tiny writing, need help, contact us, touch that, and in the middle screen is at tweet us, touch that, and thats where I see that they are following me. Make sense.

He, I am completely new at this, I just got rid of my old clam shell phone, and DH got me an iPhone.

arizonawildcat Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by stan1162 (Post 20426252)

And now, on my delta app on my phone, it says DeltaAssist follows you.

...hmmm I am new to this too but have sent a tweet to @deltaassist in the past. Maybe we just communicated back and forth via a public message. Where do you see the fact that DeltaAssist is following you in the Delta iPhone app? I don't see that on mine.

stan1162 Mar 15, 2013 3:26 pm

Under contact us

Originally Posted by arizonawildcat (Post 20426429)
...hmmm I am new to this too but have sent a tweet to @deltaassist in the past. Maybe we just communicated back and forth via a public message. Where do you see the fact that DeltaAssist is following you in the Delta iPhone app? I don't see that on mine.

Fourth thingy down on contact us is: TWEET US @ DELTAASSIST

Then, the next screen, there in the middle of the screen is a square box, delta logo

Under that is Delta Assist with the little twitter birdie
Under that @DeltaAssit FOLLOWS YOU