Severe Peanut Allergy

Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:38 pm

Hi Boston Bound, Are you saying one person eating peanuts on the plane sends you into anaphylactic shock? Do you have them vacuum the entire plane to remove any microgram remnants of peanut dust from previous flights?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BostonBound
. Well, the person in front of me was asked "peanuts, cookies, or pretzels." I got up out of my seat to tell the flight attendant, and got yelled at that the seatbelt sign was still on. They are damn lucky I didn't have a reaction...
Were there any actual peanuts? In your rant you don't say just that the person in front was asked what they wanted.

The FA could just have been saying their usual spiel.

And yes you should have been yelled at for getting up when the sign was still on.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:53 pm

I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one annoyed by this. I'm now based in ca and it seems like this is every flight home.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by kop84
<Grabs Popcorn>

IBTL
<Grabs a jar of peanuts>

IBTL...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by capjessop
I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one annoyed by this. I'm now based in ca and it seems like this is every flight home.
Of course there are; there are so many special people in California.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:14 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
A mother of a child with a peanut allergy went off on me because I was eating peanut M&M's. It would only be an issue if her special snowflake was imitating an Egyptian plover bird.

Off topic but equally annoying is working with a vegan, especially a gluten free vegan. When they invite themselves to go to lunch with normal people they insist on going to a restaurant that specializes in gluten free vegan. Really? Why don't you eat a plain salad and STFU while the rest of us eat at Outback?
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If Delta has a policy that was not properly followed OP has a right to be upset. I could imagine that there would be a difference between a few people having their own peanut products vs. an entire plane opening up peanut packages.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I knew someone who did die from a peanut allergy when I was in my 20's. I can understand how that is a frightening thing to deal with.

I was on a flight once were they announced they were not serving peanuts because someone on the plane had a severe allergy at which point a couple in the seats across from me did a high five as it was their child apparently. This did not do anything to help ambassador their cause and in fact did the exact opposite for me.

The OP doesn't deserve to be dumped on but at the same time shouldn't be campaigning to get others to leave as that is as effective to others as the high five was.

I would agree with others that if DL can't adequately protect you from peanuts then perhaps the cost of the ticket is less important than the airline you choose.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:28 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BostonBound
Well, Delta... You have done it again. I am a frequent flyer with a peanut allergy. I don't often fly delta due to them serving peanuts on their flights. However, this past week the flight was so cheap I chose Delta. The delta policy states that if you notify the airline in advance they will not serve peanuts on the plane... Spoke with them on the phone a week before so they could mark my profile, checked in with the gate agent to confirm my ticket, and then also mentioned it to the flight attendants. Well, the person in front of me was asked "peanuts, cookies, or pretzels." I got up out of my seat to tell the flight attendant, and got yelled at that the seatbelt sign was still on. They are damn lucky I didn't have a reaction...

You've lost my business. And I hope many others.
Sorry you had an this issue. It sucks to have any allergy and that people cant be nice about it.

Just wondering, did they announce in the gate area or once the plane boarded? In the last month I have three flights, that DL announced in the Gate Area and also on the plane that peanuts were not going to be served. When I had a layover on in SLC, there was an announcement that Flights to PDX, GEG, and DTW all leaving close to the same time each had a peanut allergy on board.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
As a physician- if you go into anaphylaxis from aerolysized peanut dust you shouldn't be on a plane. There is no way the cleaning crew can get it all and vacuuming can stir it up as well just sitting in your chair from the passengers on previous flights. It's hocus pocus to restrict the other passengers.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:51 pm

@BostonBound

OP Sorry for your condition and the fact that most people here are not so nice to you.
I like nuts but would have no problem at all from refraining if someone on my flight was allergic.

And to posters who are upset because they can't have peanuts on a flight -
Remember your life isn't at risk because you can't have peanuts but the reverse might not true for someone with a severe nut allergy

Peace!
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by jeet
I like nuts but would have no problem at all from refraining if someone on my flight was allergic.
peanuts aren't nuts they are a legume.

So you refraining from eating nuts would have no affect on anyone with a peanut allergy.

The OP is getting a hard time because of their attitude not because of their allergy.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
OP you need a good attorney; Erin Andrews just picked up $55M from a very similar case when Marriott was not following procedures.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by jeet
@BostonBound

OP Sorry for your condition and the fact that most people here are not so nice to you.

And to posters who are upset because they can't have peanuts on a flight -
Remember your life isn't at risk because you can't have peanuts but the reverse might not true for someone with a severe nut allergy

Peace!
It also makes no sense that the peanut dust created by the pass is any more deadly the the high burdon of peanut dust already in the plane. Or similarly the fish & wheat restriction story that was on the boards. If you are truly that sensitive you shouldn't be in an enclosed tube flying 30k feet above the earth.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I knew someone who did die from a peanut allergy when I was in my 20's. I can understand how that is a frightening thing to deal with..............
Can you give some details. Did they just breath in a few micrograms of dust or did they ingest some, etc. An extensive search didn't find any occurrences of the former.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.