Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta's website always this bad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I tried to get a quote for TVC - TUL round trip. However, it quotes the following flight pair outbound:
DTW -> TVC
DTW -> TUL, with the helpful information that "You have to change airports between TVC and DTW"

On the way back it quotes:
MSP -> TUL
MSP -> TVC, with the same similar helpful message that you somehow have to get from TUL to MSP.

Is Delta's web site always this bad?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yup. Worst in industry for sure. One reason why I book Delta tickets only on OTAs.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Mar 8, 2013, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LookingAhead
Yes
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Tip of the iceberg, friend. IT is not delta's strong suit.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
The old website was pretty good. The new one is literally worthless.

On last weeks trip it took me an hour to figure out how to check in from the hotel. Now if I had the confirmation code it would have been easy but I normally check in from "My Trips" on SkyMiles and apparently it is now impossible to do so or at least so well hidden it took me an hour to find it.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Yes it's always this bad.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by pkincy

On last weeks trip it took me an hour to figure out how to check in from the hotel. Now if I had the confirmation code it would have been easy but I normally check in from "My Trips" on SkyMiles and apparently it is now impossible to do so or at least so well hidden it took me an hour to find it.
Gosh - that and selecting seats are a nightmare. Also, the functionality on a small screen is abysmal
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pkincy
+1
Why the obsession to "improve" a website? If you are going to improve, make sure the effing thing works and maybe hold some focus groups of actual pax??? @:-)

And FWIW, it's not just DL. AA just improved their site with the same miserable results. And now it takes two minutes just to change seats. My bad, forgot that you can't even change seats on DL.dumb after an upgrade clears... you have to call in. Wow.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I tried to get a quote for TVC - TUL round trip. However, it quotes the following flight pair outbound:
DTW -> TVC
DTW -> TUL, with the helpful information that "You have to change airports between TVC and DTW"

On the way back it quotes:
MSP -> TUL
MSP -> TVC, with the same similar helpful message that you somehow have to get from TUL to MSP.

You caught it on a good day.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors

Usually it's worse.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:00 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC

Yes it stinks. To make matters worse it is slow. Nothing like waiting to find out you can not do something.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Usually it's worse.
True.

Wanna know the kicker? They require a ton of bandwidth resource pushing data back/forth for reasons totally unrelated to your travel needs/goals.

Here's a somewhat scary example of how these folks "got your back":

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...about-you.html

It makes me very ANGRY how they continually push our "required" DOB data around for no reason other than marketing metrics. Boo, hiss!!!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Usually it's worse.
+1

You actually have the "new and improved" experience.

Northwest had a great site that worked very well. Of course in the merger it made sense to scrap it. If you have the worst online presence in the industry it apparently makes strategic sense to accept the status quo rather than invest those record earnings to claw your way up a little at a time.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: DL EOS...
Sorry to post more "venting" but the last post brought up a great point. What's their motivation to offer a useful and streamlined web experience? Obviously none.

In fact, it's probably been studied and shown that people using airline websites tolerate a bunch of "extras" involved with navigation and booking flights. These same corp folks possibly realized that the website makes little, if any, difference about choice of airline to the average casual user.

Those of us "stuck" with a particular status put up with it as normal. Win-win for sucky IT, I guess?

Take it little further to the "knoll" and it's probably much more "profitable" to glean as many keystrokes and thus marketing data from web users as possible. What do they care or worry about? Absolutely nothing.

Get yer info, push it around and offer it for sale/use by other parties and entities all while operating under the premise of "booking flights" or searching inventory.

I would love to see the "delta profiles a lot about you" stickied at the top of this forum. Knowledge is power and that type of knowledge can help level the field as we move into the "monopoly" era of air travel.

Devious bums, I'm telling ya....
Old Mar 9, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
BTW, if you are on your skymiles account page, is there a way to get back to the home page? I do not see any "Home" symbol, and just hitting the back button gets to a "page expired" notice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.