FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Poor Man's First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1445294-poor-mans-first-class.html)

aviatorzz Mar 7, 2013 8:46 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20376991)
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

Haha. I think it was a freefall when dodgeball was removed from gym class. Parents were afraid their skittle chomping, mountain dew slurping child might get hurt. From this, participation trophies started appearing. You got a freaking trophy for just showing up. Then a few years later, a school district in California decided to "outlaw" red pens for fear that the student might have the answer wrong. Somewhere along the way, excuses started to outnumber .......s and now it's anyone's fault but their own and if you don't apologize for calling that person out on it, it becomes a PC term and another law is passed because someone's feelings were hurt.

But yeah, I like having a middle seat free.

Pipster Mar 7, 2013 9:01 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20376991)
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

You aren't required to use any particular terminology. I believe it is used in an attempt to be polite. A quaint, old-fashioned idea, I know ...

rkb2530 Mar 7, 2013 9:02 am

Originally Posted by krpjr (Post 20374890)
Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!

My wife wants me to lose weight but I get the armrest down just fine.:p

krpjr Mar 7, 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jb008 (Post 20377094)
Unless you're not fat and instead significantly taller and broader than the average population that seats were designed for. (e.g., typical college level college bball player build)

I can proudly tell you that I'm 188lbs, 182lbs which is lean muscle, with roughly 5.95% body fat and 6lbs of fat. I have a 30 inch waste, however, I had shoulders like The Rock from WWE or 'Dwayne Johnson' for those to don't know him by the rock. The guy that makes brainless films. However, I fit in all airline seats just fine.

And no, I don't want a date!

Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 20377114)
Haha. I think it was a freefall when dodgeball was removed from gym class. Parents were afraid their skittle chomping, mountain dew slurping child might get hurt. From this, participation trophies started appearing. You got a freaking trophy for just showing up. Then a few years later, a school district in California decided to "outlaw" red pens for fear that the student might have the answer wrong. Somewhere along the way, excuses started to outnumber .......s and now it's anyone's fault but their own and if you don't apologize for calling that person out on it, it becomes a PC term and another law is passed because someone's feelings were hurt.

But yeah, I like having a middle seat free.

I think dodge ball was removed from gym class because of arseholes like me, no shame here! I was determined to whip that ball hard as ever at you, possibly your head too. I was 'that guy' that always did jumps, twist, and bends to 'dodge' the ball. You know, the whole concept of the activity!

Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 20377226)
My wife wants me to lose weight but I get the armrest down just fine.:p

Duh, it improves sex immensely. Just imagine increased stamina with 20lbs less. You'll have your wife...nevermind :D. Enjoy your flight and safe travels!!!

5khours Mar 9, 2013 9:35 pm

I used to regularly book 4 seats across the middle on TPACs. A lot cheaper and more comfortable than the sliders in J. Not a problem at all. Just make sure you're not in a bulkhead with non-moveable armrests. You only get mileage credit for one seat.

Detroiter Mar 9, 2013 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Pipster (Post 20377217)
You aren't required to use any particular terminology. I believe it is used in an attempt to be polite. A quaint, old-fashioned idea, I know ...

Yeah, my Mom brought me up to be polite, too. But I always figure there's a certain percentage of people a) whose moms said, "hell yeah, make fun of people; it'll make you feel better", or, b) decided Mom was a wuss anyway, and what did she know about life.

troyintn Mar 10, 2013 7:09 am

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20392528)
I used to regularly book 4 seats across the middle on TPACs. A lot cheaper and more comfortable than the sliders in J. Not a problem at all. Just make sure you're not in a bulkhead with non-moveable armrests. You only get mileage credit for one seat.

good idea.

twtrvl Mar 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Any trouble keeping your block of seats together?

MSPeconomist Mar 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by krpjr (Post 20380761)
I can proudly tell you that I'm 188lbs, 182lbs which is lean muscle, with roughly 5.95% body fat and 6lbs of fat. I have a 30 inch waste, however, I had shoulders like The Rock from WWE or 'Dwayne Johnson' for those to don't know him by the rock. The guy that makes brainless films. However, I fit in all airline seats just fine.

And no, I don't want a date!

I think dodge ball was removed from gym class because of arseholes like me, no shame here! I was determined to whip that ball hard as ever at you, possibly your head too. I was 'that guy' that always did jumps, twist, and bends to 'dodge' the ball. You know, the whole concept of the activity!

Duh, it improves sex immensely. Just imagine increased stamina with 20lbs less. You'll have your wife...nevermind :D. Enjoy your flight and safe travels!!!

Brain exercise: 6 pounds of body fat out of 188 is 3.19%, not 5.95? BTW, do your bones and organs not weigh something. You can't be all lean muscle and body fat with nothing else. Don't you have any blood?

5khours Mar 10, 2013 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by twtrvl (Post 20396071)
Any trouble keeping your block of seats together?

Nope, but you get some glares from other pax when the flight is otherwise totally full.

DocTravel Mar 10, 2013 9:01 pm

Thats what I wanted to know, credit for one then, eh, cheers :cool:

NotHamSarnie Mar 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours (Post 20396384)
Nope, but you get some glares from other pax when the flight is otherwise totally full.

How do you deal with people trying to sit there? IME people like to move from their middle seat if they see empty seats that are more desirable.

ijgordon Mar 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 20397869)
How do you deal with people trying to sit there? IME people like to move from their middle seat if they see empty seats that are more desirable.

You tell them that you paid for the seats and you show them the boarding passes if necessary.

My partner and I recently had a whole exit row (3 seats) and some guy came by and said the FA said he could sit in our seemingly-empty middle seat. I said that I was sorry, but we paid for the seat, and he just went back to his assigned seat.

5khours Mar 10, 2013 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 20397869)

Spread out my stuff. Show the boarding passes. Call an FA if necessary.

Air Houston Mar 10, 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20396180)
Brain exercise: 6 pounds of body fat out of 188 is 3.19%, not 5.95? BTW, do your bones and organs not weigh something. You can't be all lean muscle and body fat with nothing else. Don't you have any blood?

+1