FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Poor Man's First Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1445294-poor-mans-first-class.html)

davetravels Mar 6, 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by txaggie94 (Post 20373969)
Wow! I didn't realize that it was DOCTOR Hudson! Cool!

Yeah, he keeps us in stitches, but, for some strange reason, there's never any liquor around when he is!

;)

:confused:

:D

FlyingUnderTheRadar Mar 6, 2013 6:23 pm

People often buy the seat next them. I have even seen it done in FC for someone who did not want to be disturbed by a PAX beside them. If you buy a second ticket just use the name Hugh Adze and make sure GA pages you a few times :D

MSPeconomist Mar 6, 2013 6:46 pm

NZ encourages this in their cuddle seats: Two people sitting in a coach section of three that turns into a small bed on long haul flights. IIRC the fare for two adults is less than three coach tickets.

ijgordon Mar 6, 2013 8:40 pm

I've done this several times on DL when there were two of us traveling. Book the extra seat as LASTNAME / EXTRASEAT. Generally it's much less expensive than 2 FC seats, though if you're not elite and have to add in baggage fees and potentially EC fees, then it's a much closer equation.

SuperG1955 Mar 6, 2013 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 20373923)
He wasn't! It's a reference to an (intended) humorous post he made a few days ago that a couple of people didn't think was funny.

T H is one of the few people that has an unusual sense of humor, that is sometimes needed to hold the fabric of this forum together!

. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

;)

:D

That's because he tailors his posts to the audience.

Thomas Hudson Mar 6, 2013 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 (Post 20374788)
That's because he tailors his posts to the audience.

I'll be here all week... Try the prime rib....

krpjr Mar 6, 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by rkb2530 (Post 20370746)
I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?

Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!

Greysword Mar 6, 2013 10:19 pm

Can't the GA bump the invisible person in the seat? If that happens, how do the involuntary boarding rules apply? :D

CalVol Mar 6, 2013 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Greysword (Post 20375088)
Can't the GA bump the invisible person in the seat? If that happens, how do the involuntary boarding rules apply? :D

Let's say you agree to a VDB for that seat, or for all 3...what name will attach to the voucher?

WhiskeyBravo Mar 7, 2013 1:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 20370898)
AFAIK there is no minimum size requirement for one to book an extra seat as a COS. It will be next to you, with moveable armrests, but keeping it next to wife also might be harder. Can two COSs share the extra seat? Don't expect to earn extra MQMs.

But surely MQD's!

jzoz01 Mar 7, 2013 7:20 am

Originally Posted by aviatorzz (Post 20370848)
I would be concerned if there is an aircraft swap, and the three seats that were originally assigned together could potentially end up in three different parts of the aircraft. IMO not worth the extra $$ to worry about something like that happening.

Makes me wonder if you could VDB the "extra seat" you purchased in an oversold situation.

Yoshi212 Mar 7, 2013 8:12 am

I usually buy 2 seats when doing transcons in Y which isn't all that often but about once a year. I usually go up to the gate agent to confirm that my extra seat is next to mine. Twice I have been offered a seat in F or J to give up my two seats because it's a better result than upgrading someone on the upgrade waitlist. SUCKERS.

MSPeconomist Mar 7, 2013 8:29 am

Originally Posted by johnm1019 (Post 20375589)
But surely MQD's!

I don't think so. YMMV.

mrredskin Mar 7, 2013 8:33 am

Originally Posted by krpjr (Post 20374890)
Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!

never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

jb008 Mar 7, 2013 8:44 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20376991)
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.

Unless you're not fat and instead significantly taller and broader than the average population that seats were designed for. (e.g., typical college level college bball player build)