Poor Man's First Class

Old Mar 6, 13, 7:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by txaggie94 View Post
Wow! I didn't realize that it was DOCTOR Hudson! Cool!
Yeah, he keeps us in stitches, but, for some strange reason, there's never any liquor around when he is!

Old Mar 6, 13, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta, United
People often buy the seat next them. I have even seen it done in FC for someone who did not want to be disturbed by a PAX beside them. If you buy a second ticket just use the name Hugh Adze and make sure GA pages you a few times
Old Mar 6, 13, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
NZ encourages this in their cuddle seats: Two people sitting in a coach section of three that turns into a small bed on long haul flights. IIRC the fare for two adults is less than three coach tickets.
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've done this several times on DL when there were two of us traveling. Book the extra seat as LASTNAME / EXTRASEAT. Generally it's much less expensive than 2 FC seats, though if you're not elite and have to add in baggage fees and potentially EC fees, then it's a much closer equation.
Old Mar 6, 13, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.1MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
He wasn't! It's a reference to an (intended) humorous post he made a few days ago that a couple of people didn't think was funny.

T H is one of the few people that has an unusual sense of humor, that is sometimes needed to hold the fabric of this forum together!

. . . . not to mention - Keeping us in stitches!

That's because he tailors his posts to the audience.
Old Mar 6, 13, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
That's because he tailors his posts to the audience.
I'll be here all week... Try the prime rib....
Old Mar 6, 13, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by rkb2530 View Post
I find that my comfort level is much higher with an empty seat next to me. I am too cheap to pay for first and if my wife is with me, buying three coach seats is usually much cheaper than two firsts. Never done it before but it seems to me that this would be a "poor man's first class seat"

How does one go about buying an extra seat? Can it be done online or does it require a phone call?

What happens if the flight is overbooked, can you lose your extra seat?

Anything else to look out for?
Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:19 pm

Can't the GA bump the invisible person in the seat? If that happens, how do the involuntary boarding rules apply?
Old Mar 6, 13, 11:50 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
Can't the GA bump the invisible person in the seat? If that happens, how do the involuntary boarding rules apply?
Let's say you agree to a VDB for that seat, or for all 3...what name will attach to the voucher?
Old Mar 7, 13, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK there is no minimum size requirement for one to book an extra seat as a COS. It will be next to you, with moveable armrests, but keeping it next to wife also might be harder. Can two COSs share the extra seat? Don't expect to earn extra MQMs.
But surely MQD's!
Old Mar 7, 13, 8:20 am

Programs: DL GM; SPG- Gold; HH-Diamond; IHG-Gold
Originally Posted by aviatorzz View Post
I would be concerned if there is an aircraft swap, and the three seats that were originally assigned together could potentially end up in three different parts of the aircraft. IMO not worth the extra $$ to worry about something like that happening.
Makes me wonder if you could VDB the "extra seat" you purchased in an oversold situation.
Old Mar 7, 13, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I usually buy 2 seats when doing transcons in Y which isn't all that often but about once a year. I usually go up to the gate agent to confirm that my extra seat is next to mine. Twice I have been offered a seat in F or J to give up my two seats because it's a better result than upgrading someone on the upgrade waitlist. SUCKERS.
Old Mar 7, 13, 9:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by johnm1019 View Post
But surely MQD's!
I don't think so. YMMV.
Old Mar 7, 13, 9:33 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by krpjr View Post
Bro, if you're fat, you can tell us, we won't make fun of you!
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.
Old Mar 7, 13, 9:44 am

Programs: Delta plebe
Originally Posted by mrredskin View Post
never understood why we have to use the POS or COS lingo. if you're fat, you're fat. every term these days is emotionally damaging or too hurtful, it seems.
Unless you're not fat and instead significantly taller and broader than the average population that seats were designed for. (e.g., typical college level college bball player build)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: