FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Fare Increase?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1443260-fare-increase.html)

limey47 Feb 28, 13 9:35 am

Fare Increase??

I commute weekly from LGA/ATL/JAN. Until last week my typical round trip coach was about $300. I looked to book my next 3 months of flights and was shocked to see the fare now ranges from $430 to $450!!!

I looked at September and October and it was the same, so it is not seasonal.

Has anyone else seen similar increases?

jkatzen Feb 28, 13 6:23 pm

What are the fare classes? Are LUT fares available, or are they all booking at K and above?

If it's not pricing with LUTs (only K+), I'd book a week or two at a time and wait before buying the further-out ones, as K is generally available at 7+ days of advanced purchase. Then, if they open up cheaper LUT fares later on for the longer-out flights, you can grab them.

I used to fly DCA-ATL-DCA every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I'd find that the normal pricing of ~$250-300 would all of a sudden be $500 infinitely out. After a few weeks, it'd drop back down again. Not sure of the reasoning. They might be reading some sort of increase in demand based on ticketing date not flight date, expecting a lot of tickets to be bought right now.

On the other hand, if Jackson lost a carrier recently, it could be that prices just increased based on longer term market forces, and if so, that might just the way of life going forward there.

SteveMSflyer Feb 28, 13 6:31 pm

I do iths trip very 2 weeks - JAN - ATLANTA - NY (JFK/LGA/EWR) and the prices indeed are headed up....

puntamita Feb 28, 13 7:12 pm

I agree Delta's fares have gone up significantly but the issue is United, Us Air, etc have not gone up to this extent. Therefore, our corporate travel department is making everyone take other airlines. I started a different thread we same concern. The flights are not packed either. When making reservations, some of the flights are completely empty. I know seat maps can be wrong but I was on one last week I paid $650 and the plane was around 20% full.

CarmenOM Feb 28, 13 7:52 pm

On the other side of the scale: I have been following SEA-MSP-SEA fares for late April/early May. They were running around $420. When I checked a couple of days ago they had dropped to $217-237, an exceptionally low fare for that route.

woodenshoe101 Feb 28, 13 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by puntamita (Post 20336677)
I agree Delta's fares have gone up significantly but the issue is United, Us Air, etc have not gone up to this extent. Therefore, our corporate travel department is making everyone take other airlines. I started a different thread we same concern. The flights are not packed either. When making reservations, some of the flights are completely empty. I know seat maps can be wrong but I was on one last week I paid $650 and the plane was around 20% full.

Seeing the same thing, and unsure what's up with dl's pricing but have seen it lagging/be significantly above the competition.

Last night I was on stl-slc, booked 2 weeks out and only Q+ available. Flight was 40% full and fc went out with 3 empty seats (EC was completely empty). Posting this from the return flt (1182) which has 40 open seats (but had an UG list in the 20s). Also Q+ only available $700 r/t. Have an LAX r/t next week booked in K/L that is less than half the price.

grahampros Feb 28, 13 10:16 pm

Well, Delta is making more money then the other guys these days so obviously holding the line on "pricing". It may well not be a fare increase rather then holding seats up to higher classes to get a premium. It this strategy will make them more money it will continue, if they dont they will drop the seats again.

Fare increases happen in smaller increments, so it really sounds like they are taking a revenue management strategy to not release seats to the lowest fare classes.

Bowgie Mar 1, 13 2:33 am

Originally Posted by puntamita (Post 20336677)
I agree Delta's fares have gone up significantly but the issue is United, Us Air, etc have not gone up to this extent.

I have noticed the same thing, too. I wonder if Delta is getting a price premium over UA and AA because DL did not suffer the "summer of hell" like the other two competitors. In other words, higher price for higher operational reliability.

LBJ Mar 1, 13 5:46 am

Originally Posted by jkatzen (Post 20336445)
What are the fare classes? Are LUT fares available, or are they all booking at K and above?

If it's not pricing with LUTs (only K+), I'd book a week or two at a time and wait before buying the further-out ones, as K is generally available at 7+ days of advanced purchase. Then, if they open up cheaper LUT fares later on for the longer-out flights, you can grab them.

I used to fly DCA-ATL-DCA every 2-3 weeks. Sometimes I'd find that the normal pricing of ~$250-300 would all of a sudden be $500 infinitely out. After a few weeks, it'd drop back down again. Not sure of the reasoning. They might be reading some sort of increase in demand based on ticketing date not flight date, expecting a lot of tickets to be bought right now.

On the other hand, if Jackson lost a carrier recently, it could be that prices just increased based on longer term market forces, and if so, that might just the way of life going forward there.

Looks like only 'L' and higher fares are currently available out of LGA. It's not really a fare increase, they've simply tightened up on available inventory in the lower fare buckets. As suggested above, this is probably only temporary and they will likely open the lower fare buckets again. EWR still has 'T' fare availability for advance purchase tickets to JAN starting at $359.60.

jb008 Mar 1, 13 7:36 am

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 20338713)
Looks like only 'L' and higher fares are currently available out of LGA. It's not really a fare increase, they've simply tightened up on available inventory in the lower fare buckets. As suggested above, this is probably only temporary and they will likely open the lower fare buckets again. EWR still has 'T' fare availability for advance purchase tickets to JAN starting at $359.60.

Going in/out of LGA I've recently noticed a saturday stay requirement to access the U/T fares. If you have EF it's worth a check on the fare rules for your specific route (or play around with some saturday stays, and booking 7, 14, and 21 days in advance).

FlyAO2 Mar 1, 13 7:38 am

Originally Posted by woodenshoe101 (Post 20337151)
Seeing the same thing, and unsure what's up with dl's pricing but have seen it lagging/be significantly above the competition.

This seems to be happening on many routes. But it is a function of DL holding back LUT class.

NY-MIA/FLL is significantly more expensive on DL vs AA/UA for flights in the future because they are only selling K

puntamita Mar 1, 13 7:57 pm

The issue is corporations and tight budgets will stop letting their employees fly Delta and will make them take aa or ua. Nature of the business I agree but will hurt Delta in the long run. Stay competitive or customers will get more interested in ua or aa ff program.