Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Frequency of 757 gauge change on lax-jfk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know how often there is a change in gauge on the 757 that does the lax-jfk route? I have several upcoming flights on that route and would welcome some info and advice on seat selection. I'm thinking 18 (only 2 seats in exit row) but if there is a gauge change I could end up in the back of the bus in the middle. EC would be OK but it is on the side in a group of three. Do I take the chance or go for the sure EC seat?
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Diamond (Aspire)
I have a JFK-SFO coming up and was actually wondering the same thing. Given how many different 757 configurations Delta has, I am a little worried that 18DE for myself and my companion won't stick, but if an equipment change happens then neither might the E/C seats.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
JFK-LAX is such an important route now for Delta that it almost never gets changed to an inferior 757 configuration. Gauge change usually goes the other way actually and they put the 767 on instead. I recall many instances of changes to the 763ER or even the 764ER...of course if it gets changed to the old config 763ER, the y product could be worse (no PTVs) but more EC seats, and a lot more BE seats, so many Medallions invariably score upgrades. Also, there is slack in the 75E fleet utilization now anyway, so they have some room....
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
JFK-LAX is such an important route now for Delta that it almost never gets changed to an inferior 757 configuration. Gauge change usually goes the other way actually and they put the 767 on instead. I recall many instances of changes to the 763ER or even the 764ER...of course if it gets changed to the old config 763ER, the y product could be worse (no PTVs) but more EC seats, and a lot more BE seats, so many Medallions invariably score upgrades. Also, there is slack in the 75E fleet utilization now anyway, so they have some room....
Yup, that is what I have seen. The trans-con BE product is so well marketed now that in order to protect the product onboard they typically will upgauge to an Intl. 763ER. A downgrade to a non-BE 757 is only a last resort.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Angry

Ya, I was thinking along these same lines as well. What got me thinking about the possible gauge change was 2 gauge changes on the same itinerary, ATL-RSW, just a few days ago. I had a seat in row 18 on both the inbound and outbound and on both segments there was a guage change within 24 hrs of departure. No noticification from DL. Only found out about it during on-line check-in. The flight was already packed, no EC seats available and I got reassigned to a back of the bus middle seat Thankfully, it is a short flight but I certainy don't want this to occur on a transcon. Richard Anderson most certainly did not have my valued PM back in either instance.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:29 pm

It is rare that something happens to cause a gauge change because if a 75E goes tech Delta may use a spare 763ER on a route like JFK-DUB and then use that 75E on JFK-LAX. When it does happen the usual switch in LAX is that one of the Hawaii 757's (ex-ATA/Singapore birds) will operate the flight. I can only think of once or twice in the last year where something like that happened
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
+1. Not at all likely to downgrade to a domestic F configured 757 on this route.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agreed. They seem to sell a good amount of BusinessElite seats on this route...if they were to downgrade the plane they would probably have to offer at least partial refunds to PAX who paid for the internationally configured aircraft, potentially adding up to thousands of dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.