Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Transfer Starwood Preferred Guest, or SPG, Points to Delta Air Lines SkyMiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2002, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Has anybody transferred miles from Starwood to Delta (or other airlines) when the first names on the accounts don't match? I believe Starwood says both first and last must match, but do they really compare the first names? Do they compare anything else, like phone/address on file?
Old May 14, 2002, 4:26 pm

Programs: Delta, US Airways
Ask them!
Old May 15, 2002, 11:34 am

I've transferred miles from my Starwood account to both my and my wife's AAdvantage accounts on different occations without any problem.
Old May 18, 2002, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by maximizer:
Has anybody transferred miles from Starwood to Delta (or other airlines) when the first names on the accounts don't match? I believe Starwood says both first and last must match, but do they really compare the first names? Do they compare anything else, like phone/address on file?</font>
If you get hung up, contact the Starwood Lurker on the Starwood Flyertalk board. He rules. If it's persmissible, he'll do it.

Old Jul 12, 2003, 7:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Starwood Points to Delta Skymiles transfer....taking too long?

I made a transfer of Starwood points to Delta Skymiles four weeks ago.It is my first such exchange. The website says the transfer can take from 2-4 weeks. Usually these transfers are pretty quick with other programs. Should I be suspicious that so much time has elasped without seeing the miles put into my account or is 4 weeks the norm......
Old Jul 12, 2003, 9:08 am

If the transfer has not been completed, this is an issue for Starwood, not Delta.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:35 am

Transferring Starwood Pts to Delta

I have a f.f. flight on hold for 48 hours. I called today to transfer Starwood points into Delta f.f. account and they said it could take up to 7-14 days! I was shocked to hear this. I will call tomorrow and ask for an extension. Has anyone had good luck getting such an extension? Does it really take so long to transfer SPG points to Delta? I do have a confirmation # from SPG to prove that the request is in....will this buy me an extension?
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by pjammin
I was shocked to hear this.
Why? There are literally dozens of "transfer time" threads in the *Wood forum, and the SPG T&C's are quite clear.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:05 pm
Suspended

I would hold on to your spg points for hotel stays or lower ratio award programs such as air france or asia miles. Both do one way awards and rt awrds for fewer miles than delta, while af does does web awards thast are 50% off.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:36 pm
v3

don't do it

Are you sure you are that desperate for Delta miles - I would hold tight to 'wood points if I were you.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:58 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by v3
Are you sure you are that desperate for Delta miles - I would hold tight to 'wood points if I were you.
I second. The only points I never have enough of are Woods!
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Sometimes you just need that award ticket... and SPG is one of the few (perhaps only) hotel programs that transfers to most airlines, does so at a reasonable rate, and additionally has the 25% bonus for each 20k points transferred. I transferred 20k points for 25k DL miles last November and it took almost the entire 2 weeks. I was able to put my award seats on hold for 21 days, so they posted in plenty of time - but it was also an International award (business class) which typically the reservation can be held longer before ticketing.

If this is a domestic award, not sure they will hold it as long -- though if you are transferring for a domestic award, I would also question the use of starpoints as your value per point spent is probably not worth burning them. Fares are expensive this summer, but your ROI may be better in a paid ticket that earns miles.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:55 am

I'm using the miles for an international Biz ticket to fly to Europe to catch a cruise ship. Not sure why everyone is indicating the points are more valuable in the #wood account than using as Delta miles?? Please go easy on me, I'm new here and don't know all the "tricks" that you frequent travellers know. Most of my vacations abroad are either cruise related or visiting family so I rarely need them for hotel stays (I'm assuming that is why you're saying it's best to hang on to the points rather than transfer them).

Will the fact that I have the confirmation email etc. from *wood buy me extra time proving that the points are forthcoming? Guess I need to get an understanding Delta agent as it sounds like I'm sure going to need the extension. Thanks again for your responses.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:14 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
International Biz is some of the best use of miles.. Short of maybe a RTW trip.. I don't think it's bad for that case to transfer the SPG points.. It'be better than paying a few K for a biz seat right?
Old Jul 28, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
If this is an International Biz class (which is a good use of points/miles) then you should be able to hold it for 3 weeks. Though the exception may be if it is 100% on partners (i.e. Air France)? In my case the intinerary was DL there and AF back and I was able to hold for 3 weeks - but I vaguely remember trying a few other all partner itineraries and only being able to hold them for a few days. So if DL metal, then not sure why you are having issues holding it longer? If partner metal, then one suggestion might be to see if one of the legs can be done on DL metal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.