Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Transfer Starwood Preferred Guest, or SPG, Points to Delta Air Lines SkyMiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Starwood Preferred Guest, or SPG, Points to Delta Air Lines SkyMiles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ffI
The fastest way is to give your friend SPG and get his amex transferred instantly. Works any day of the week at once! Often you get a >33% bonus not a 25%. with the 25% bonus on Amex, you get 125% of 125% = 150% DL miles starting from the same SPG.
Huh?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:09 am

Transfer Starwood Points to Delta Skymiles?

We are planning a European cruise for 2014. The flights from the US to Europe are very expensive. I am considering transferring my 160,000 Starwood points which will convert to 200,000 Delta Skymiles with the bonus offer.

200,000 Delta Skymiles gets me 2 airline tickets to Europe worth a total of $3,200.

160,000 Starwood points gets me about 10 free hotel nights worth somewhere in the area of $3,200.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flannbarr
We are planning a European cruise for 2014. The flights from the US to Europe are very expensive. I am considering transferring my 160,000 Starwood points which will convert to 200,000 Delta Skymiles with the bonus offer.

200,000 Delta Skymiles gets me 2 airline tickets to Europe worth a total of $3,200.

160,000 Starwood points gets me about 10 free hotel nights worth somewhere in the area of $3,200.

Thoughts?
Do not assume that DL award inventory is available, especially at low levels. Also, how do you calculate two RTs USA-EU at $1600 each? If this is coach, it's a bad value for redeeming miles.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 12:31 pm
mpp

100k will get you Business Elite tickets if there is low award availability for the dates you want to fly.

When comparing purchase vs. skymiles, don't forget to factor in the opportunity cost of no RDM and MQM for an award vs. purchased ticket. Also factor in taxes & fees.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

Thoughts?
Since you asked...

I hoard my SPG points and consider them valuable. In terms of their purchasing power, think of them as Swiss Francs.

SkyMiles are infinitely harder to redeem for anything of value (like international award travel in business class) and are far easier to come by; think of them as Zimbabwe Dollars.

Have you determined that you can actually score two seats (presumably in J) for 100k each, or is this a theoretical redemption? I wouldn't convert SPG points into a lesser currency absent knowing that low-level award inventory is available.

Last edited by Sabai; Feb 23, 2013 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do not assume that DL award inventory is available, especially at low levels. Also, how do you calculate two RTs USA-EU at $1600 each? If this is coach, it's a bad value for redeeming miles.
I was looking at availability for the same dates this July knowing that I won't be going until July 2014. The cost was 100,000 miles-I believe one way was low miles and one way was high miles. It would cost me $1,600 to buy the tickets in $. I am just doing some advance planning. I will not transfer the points unless there is availability when I getting ready to purchase.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you know the dates in advance and/or have some flexibility, a USA-EU RT in coach should be possible for less than $1600.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you know the dates in advance and/or have some flexibility, a USA-EU RT in coach should be possible for less than $1600.
I am hoping to find a price less than $1,600 from DTW>BCN next year but even now for July 2013 (5 months out) it is $1,600.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 6:54 pm

I was looking at availability for the same dates this July knowing that I won't be going until July 2014. The cost was 100,000 miles-I believe one way was low miles and one way was high miles. It would cost me $1,600 to buy the tickets in $. I am just doing some advance planning. I will not transfer the points unless there is availability when I getting ready to purchase.
Just be sure you realize that Delta is known for destroying advance planning in the blink of an eye with their uannounced and drastic changes to SkyMiles.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Starwood Platinum
As much as I like Delta the thought of transferring SPG points to Skymiles is not a pleasant one. I just got back from Asia where I had 7 cents per SPG point in redemption value which is hard to match on Delta. I would use the Starpoints for hotels.

You also have a lot of options with the SPG points such as other airline partners. If I am reading the chart right you can book a Business Class Star Alliance flight up to 9,000 miles through ANA for 68,000 miles [DTW-EWR-BCN] . This should take 116,000 Starpoints with a 20,000 mileage bonus to obtain. Use the rest of your Starpoints for hotels using the cash and points option and you should have a great trip.

Your Starwood points give you lots of good choices. Choose carefully.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by naples_flyer
As much as I like Delta the thought of transferring SPG points to Skymiles is not a pleasant one. I just got back from Asia where I had 7 cents per SPG point in redemption value which is hard to match on Delta. I would use the Starpoints for hotels.

You also have a lot of options with the SPG points such as other airline partners. If I am reading the chart right you can book a Business Class Star Alliance flight up to 9,000 miles through ANA for 68,000 miles [DTW-EWR-BCN] . This should take 116,000 Starpoints with a 20,000 mileage bonus to obtain. Use the rest of your Starpoints for hotels using the cash and points option and you should have a great trip.

Your Starwood points give you lots of good choices. Choose carefully.
I am not following you regarding the Star Alliance. What is that? I already have about 100,000 SkyMiles and I want to add to them. I don't want to pay $1,600 to fly DTW-BCN-BCN.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:47 pm

I will not transfer the points unless there is availability when I getting ready to purchase.
Unlike Amex MR points, Starwood points do not transfer instantly. If you wait for an available flight, It may be gone before the point transfer clears.

And once you start a transfer you cannot recall it even if you do not get the seat.

Starwood transfer can take days or weeks, I am not sure how to guess which.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Unlike Amex MR points, Starwood points do not transfer instantly. If you wait for an available flight, It may be gone before the point transfer clears.

And once you start a transfer you cannot recall it even if you do not get the seat.

Starwood transfer can take days or weeks, I am not sure how to guess which.
I understand it can take a week+ for a transfer to clear. I am hoping if I do it 11 months out my risk is minimized but you never know. If the flight costs $1,600, I can't see how transferring points to Delta miles is a bad idea which is why I am asking. 80,000 Starwood points gets my 100,000 Delta miles which is good for a RT flight between DTW and BCN (low miles one way, high miles the other way). 80,000 Starwood points gets me around 5-6 hotel nights in a decent hotel which I value at around $1,500. What am I missing here? BTW, I already have around 100,000 Delta miles which is the reason I am looking at transferring into Delta and not some other airline.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:08 am

Actually, 40000 Starwood Points gets you 5 nights on Disney Resort property in an excellent location valued at $1500 plus all taxes. 40000 Skypesos gets you $340 airline ticket from SDF to MCO - to help illustrate the difference in value.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I understand it can take a week+ for a transfer to clear. I am hoping if I do it 11 months out my risk is minimized but you never know. If the flight costs $1,600, I can't see how transferring points to Delta miles is a bad idea which is why I am asking. 80,000 Starwood points gets my 100,000 Delta miles which is good for a RT flight between DTW and BCN (low miles one way, high miles the other way). 80,000 Starwood points gets me around 5-6 hotel nights in a decent hotel which I value at around $1,500. What am I missing here? BTW, I already have around 100,000 Delta miles which is the reason I am looking at transferring into Delta and not some other airline.
80,000 points gets you 10 nights in a Cat 4 hotel, which in high season could be $300 or more a night once you factor in tax.

If you did want to transfer the points for a flight, don't send them to Delta. You should be able to do much better than 100K for economy to Europe on one of the other SPG partner airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.