Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWU Op Up Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
SWU Op Up Help

I have a flight today DTW to ICN. Purchased an M fare last night

For the first time I'm trying to use SWU. I was told by the DM line that there was one seat in J. I checked EF J0 ZO

When I checked in the " oversold do you want to VDB for $100 pops up".

I decline, but now I wonder. Two things.

1. Did I have a shot at an OP Up and blow it by purchasing an M fare? or..
2. Are my chances lower than normal because of oversold.

( I was cleared on my return BTW as J is wide open -- including my favorite seat in 7)

Thanks

Maps
Old Feb 16, 2013, 3:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it works for your schedule, I would consider trying to negotiate for the VDB with a BE seat tomorrow, although $100 isn't much for a TPAC arrival 24 hours late. There might be an alternative routing that would have you arrive on the scheduled date with BE availability for the VDB, such as DTW-NRT-ICN or (more creatively) DTW-PEK/PVG followed by a connection back to ICN using a SkyTeam partner such as KE, MU, or CZ (although DL is likely to book you into coach for these segments).

ADDED. DL could have stopped selling tickets on a badly overbooked flight but still have a few available BE seats, although it's surprising that they wouldn't prefer to sell a $12K BE RT in full J and VDB/IDB one more person. I would assume that J0 means that BE really is full, or perhaps the one remaining seat was sold after you talked with the DM agent (who hopefully wasn't just looking at the seating chart).
Old Feb 16, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mapsgl
I have a flight today DTW to ICN. Purchased an M fare last night

For the first time I'm trying to use SWU. I was told by the DM line that there was one seat in J. I checked EF J0 ZO

When I checked in the " oversold do you want to VDB for $100 pops up".

I decline, but now I wonder. Two things.

1. Did I have a shot at an OP Up and blow it by purchasing an M fare? or..
2. Are my chances lower than normal because of oversold.

( I was cleared on my return BTW as J is wide open -- including my favorite seat in 7)

Thanks

Maps
First off, don't buy and M fare with 1 J seat and with EF showing coach oversold. Even as DM, with 1 seat you're likely competing against other DM's on SWU usage.

Second, op-ups happen when there is an oversell on Y. However, as the other posted said doing a VDB will help the chances of asking for J on your reroute.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta Kryptonium (DM) Hyatt Diamond IHG Fake Plat (Ambassador), HH Gold
Thanks

I'll check EF for some re-route options. Maybe more miles since it's a pre March M. I don't have a large window as I have a business dinner Monday in Seoul and want to me semi lucid post jet lag...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 5:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mapsgl
Thanks

I'll check EF for some re-route options. Maybe more miles since it's a pre March M. I don't have a large window as I have a business dinner Monday in Seoul and want to me semi lucid post jet lag...
Also, if you're considering rerouting through mainland China, be sure to check that transit without visa applies to your passport and your itinerary. Recently delta.dumb has been offering routings through PEK, but these don't work for everyone due to China's regulations. You apparently cannot connect without going through passport control, although you can spend 24-72 hours in transit without getting a visa (which normally must be done in advance--it's an expensive hassle), while being allowed to leave the airport, get a hotel room, etc., although you're not supposed to leave the city (no quick excursions to the Great Wall or some of the water cities).
Old Feb 16, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
1. I could tell last time that i would get an OP Up after an oversell on Y after declining 'do you want to VDB...' and do the OLCI for my upcoming flight. My M fare ticket changed into an Y fare class on the digital BP. Next day at the gate i got bumped up.

The TATL DL flight was leaving from AMS so the checkin process was handled by KLM so the DL check in process and indications might be slightly different.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 5:35 am
Original Poster

I just wanted to circle back and Thank all of you who gave me advice.

It worked out okay. This was my first time trying to use a SWU -- and it worked great. The SWU didn't seem to be coded/ applied correctly at first, but it was in the end by someone from DL that made sure it was applied properly.

There are also some great folks behind the scenes here on FT. I am grateful for them.

BTW I was the only one on the list for the DTW-ICN, and there was one seat left in J. (The flight was oversold by 10) The gate agent informed me that the seat was broken (wouldn't) recline. So they weren't going to assign it. I left to get some refreshment for my 13 hour flight, and when I returned a Red Coat was paging me. Upgrade scored!

Maybe this is no big deal, but I have read so many people talk about SWUs being worthless, or impossible to use.

this worked out nicely for me, In part because of knowledge and help from posters here.

Thanks again

Maps
Old Feb 17, 2013, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
SWU Op Up Help

Glad it worked out. It's nice, isn't it?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Delta does some things great. Others (cough delta.dumb) not so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.