Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
The point is, under the current rules, AMEX and DL have said they do not care and do not distinguish between spending $x on food, clothing, or MS. Whereas DL has explicitly said they do care about your stated address actually being your address.

Originally Posted by scottsam66
I will not try any longer to educate you.
Same. Have a nice life!
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Don't forget it isn't just a foreign country. You can get the waiver if you live in Guam, the Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa and, I believe, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. Living in some of these U.S. territories can also come with significant tax reductions up to 90%.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Let's not forget that Delta can basically do whatever it wants, regardless of its terms and conditions because they are judge, jury and executioner.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 4:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
It appears to me that it would be fairly easy for DL to determine if a PAX faked their address if every single flight you take originates from the US and especially if it is majority domestic. Then again this is DL IT.
If every single flight is originated from US, and the return flight is after several months(I.e. he/she stays overseas for several months). You know he/she is a legit.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta PM
I have two questions:
1. I have tried to change my address using the International change form, but when I go to upload my documents, (I hit "browse", select the file (doesn't matter what type, it happens with all) and it momentarily, puts:
" C:\fakepath\filename.jpg" All is correct except for the "fakepath".
I know DL IT is ridiculous, but this is getting sublime.

2, From what I've read above, maybe it makes no difference for me now. My issue is that I've been living in Vietnam since April, I will end the year with 95k MQM, but only 8800 MQD. I had accepted being only a GM, but reading FT I realize that PM would be benficial. But reading the above posts, it seems it would not make me PM in any case? Do I understand correctly??
Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:08 am

I have two questions:
1. I have tried to change my address using the International change form, but when I go to upload my documents, (I hit "browse", select the file (doesn't matter what type, it happens with all) and it momentarily, puts:

2, From what I've read above, maybe it makes no difference for me now. My issue is that I've been living in Vietnam since April, I will end the year with 95k MQM, but only 8800 MQD. I had accepted being only a GM, but reading FT I realize that PM would be benficial. But reading the above posts, it seems it would not make me PM in any case? Do I understand correctly??
Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by wxman22
I have two questions:

Thanks
1. I don't think you can pin this one directly on Delta. https://www.google.com/search?q=browser+upload+fakepath tl;dr this seems to be due to a browser philosophy about not unnecessarily exposing details about your local file system's directory structure to the site receiving an upload

2. Correct, even though you may surmount (1) and get the MQD waiver processed, based on the thread history it will not magically elevate you to PM. The foreign MQD waiver only seems to be evaluated the next time you cross an MQM threshold into the next level.
wxman22 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:22 am

Thank you Zorak. Chrome is now also causing fits with this Flyertalk.com site.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
1. I don't think you can pin this one directly on Delta. https://www.google.com/search?q=browser+upload+fakepath tl;dr this seems to be due to a browser philosophy about not unnecessarily exposing details about your local file system's directory structure to the site receiving an upload

2. Correct, even though you may surmount (1) and get the MQD waiver processed, based on the thread history it will not magically elevate you to PM. The foreign MQD waiver only seems to be evaluated the next time you cross an MQM threshold into the next level.
Well, it took me awhile, but after trying Firefox, going through all the suggestions on various Chrome forums, nothing worked. So I tried what I should have done first and that's turn off the McAfee fire wall. That allowed me to upload my two documents, my year long VISA for Vietnam and my monthly Maintenance bill for my apartment.
I got the automatic reply email saying they got my request.
Then, less than 24 hours later, I got an email that said my status had been updated.
Sure enough, once Delta.com was working again, my MQD was listed as Not Rq'd since I was overseas.

Now my Status says Gold Medallion (reached last month), through Jan 2019, with 0 miles needed for Platinum. I'm going to tweet them.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:51 am

Update. My Platinum status took a few days, but it updated itself within a week.
Thanks All
Old May 15, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Has anyone gone through this process lately? Im in the process of leasing a place out of the country and will be submitting the paperwork once thats done. Any changes or things to be aware of? Or is it still rather straight forward, upload the docs and wait?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:29 pm

Does anyone have experience with getting the Credit Card MQM bonus from the US credit cards (Amex Delta Platinum / Reserve) while having a foreign address? Can anyone confirm it works? Thanks a lot!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 9:35 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Moootz
Does anyone have experience with getting the Credit Card MQM bonus from the US credit cards (Amex Delta Platinum / Reserve) while having a foreign address? Can anyone confirm it works? Thanks a lot!
There's no reason why this should't work. You can have a card from a US financial institution and make use of it while living abroad.
Moootz and anonHippo like this.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:41 pm

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure as and hear first hand experience as the app shows "Delta SkyMiles Credit Card Spend" as not applicable for non-U.S. members but it probably only relates then to the MQD waiver that I won't need. Just wanted to be sure before I shift that much spend to it.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Does DL still have the MQM waiver for foreign-based members? I am/was registered with a US address, but have been living abroad for almost 15-20 years and can provide proof/documentation for this...would appreciate feedback. TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.