Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wildcard442
Perfect, this is the information I was looking for thank you! If I waited until I was sitting at 125k MQM, would it would be a total write-off?

Thanks!
Yes, untill you hit a MQS mark. Even hitting the Silver level MQD mark would work. It would then see 125k MQM and MQD exempt and you'd be DM.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:27 pm

Can anyone confirm whether Delta still waives MQD requirement for members residing in foreign countries?
Old Oct 20, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyercity
Can anyone confirm whether Delta still waives MQD requirement for members residing in foreign countries?
Simple look at website says yes.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Simple look at website says yes.
Thanks, I couldn't find that as all the waiver info was about credit cards and military. Just went back and saw the opening sentence about US based customers... I was with Delta for many years before moving to United because Delta stopped serving area I needed. Now looking to move back because of United rule changes. But maybe that's a good thing as Delta was consistently better than United anyways.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyercity
Thanks, I couldn't find that as all the waiver info was about credit cards and military.
There is a section labeled "Residency" on this page, but you have to click on "Show Additional Details & Terms" at the bottom to make it visible:

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...how-to-qualify
flyercity likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My boss and I both changed our addresses from the US to China this week.

-my address change is still pending
-my boss was approved within 2 hours
-I called Delta China in order to ask why neither of us had been awarded proper status
-they told me that December address changes don't count
-they transferred my call to Salt Lake City, and all was good
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ithacxa
I have a question that may have already been asked, in which case, I apologize:

Do AMEX and Delta communicate about address changes to a foreign location? If I change my DL address to a foreign one, but keep my AMEX DL Platinum card address domestic, will DL know, and thus potentially penalize me? Or is there a wall that prevents their communication? Thank you!
Yep I can agree no sharing of information is shared. I lived in London for a while and had my Delta account in my UK address with an AMEX credit card addressed to my parent's house in California. No issue what so ever.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
My boss and I both changed our addresses from the US to China this week.

-my address change is still pending
-my boss was approved within 2 hours
-I called Delta China in order to ask why neither of us had been awarded proper status
-they told me that December address changes don't count
-they transferred my call to Salt Lake City, and all was good
Changing address doesn't give you status. It just means next time you hit a MQM/MQS qualify amount that you will be moved up a level. The rules have been quite clear on this for awhile.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Changing address doesn't give you status. It just means next time you hit a MQM/MQS qualify amount that you will be moved up a level. The rules have been quite clear on this for awhile.
My boss has flown 200k miles this year on DL and its partners, so he definitely meets the DM threshold on this standpoint. The issue is that he is short on MQD by $1,000-$2,000 (I'm not sure how this is possible, but he is).

The person I initially spoke with here in Shanghai told me that the address change would not waive the 2019 MQD requirement, but was unable to provide any documentation to support his statement. He transferred me to someone in Atlanta, and I ultimately ended up speaking with a man in Salt Lake City who was able to grant my boss DM, based on his miles and the non-US address.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My boss has flown 200k miles this year on DL and its partners, so he definitely meets the DM threshold on this standpoint. The issue is that he is short on MQD by $1,000-$2,000 (I'm not sure how this is possible, but he is).

The person I initially spoke with here in Shanghai told me that the address change would not waive the 2019 MQD requirement, but was unable to provide any documentation to support his statement. He transferred me to someone in Atlanta, and I ultimately ended up speaking with a man in Salt Lake City who was able to grant my boss DM, based on his miles and the non-US address.
I had always thought, from previous variations on this thread, that going from US to foreign address does not by itself trigger a re-evaluation to see if you qualify for higher status; it only meant that the next time you crossed an MQM boundary, it would check at that time that you were MQD-exempt and then process it.

So for example if you were Silver at 65k MQMs and 4500 MQDs, then were granted the MQD waiver, you would not automatically be promoted to Gold, but if you subsequently earned another 10k MQMs the system would detect that you had crossed 75k and were MQD exempt and make you Platinum directly.

However posts 128-132 EDIT: 201-205 (renumbered after thread merge?)
in this previous thread showed at least one person who had their status re-evaluated without crossing another MQM boundary.

It sounded like manual intervention was required to (reference to tweeting at them)
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.

Last edited by Zorak; Jan 11, 2020 at 3:44 am
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Zorak

It sounded like manual intervention was required to (reference to tweeting at them)
I'm pleased to report that he is now DM (24 hours after the verbal approval). Thanks, all!
Zorak likes this.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 20, 2019 at 4:50 am
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm pleased to report that he is now DM (24 hours after the verbal approval). Thanks, all!
Good, but what about you?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Good, but what about you?
I'm going to wait for the address change to take effect before calling them about my own account. I think the reason my boss's address change was twofold: 1. he flies a lot more than me; and 2. he used a phone bill as the documentation, and I used a PSB registration form that contains no English writing apart from my name.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:16 pm

Update:
-my apartment lease ended up doing the trick, but DL emailed me saying that my resident permit also would have worked if they had had time to review it

Next challenge:
-both of my colleagues minor children have enough 2019 MQM for SM/GM (I don't know their exact numbers, but they are borderline)
-since they don't have their own utility bills or lease agreements, I'm wondering about the best way to process their address change
-their school transcripts occurred to me because they are proof positive of China residency, but these are not on the list of acceptable documents, and I'm somewhat concerned about privacy related matters
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Update:
-my apartment lease ended up doing the trick, but DL emailed me saying that my resident permit also would have worked if they had had time to review it

Next challenge:
-both of my colleagues minor children have enough 2019 MQM for SM/GM (I don't know their exact numbers, but they are borderline)
-since they don't have their own utility bills or lease agreements, I'm wondering about the best way to process their address change
-their school transcripts occurred to me because they are proof positive of China residency, but these are not on the list of acceptable documents, and I'm somewhat concerned about privacy related matters
Birth certificate showing the father/mother name and with the proof of address of the father/mother

Last edited by FBplatinum; Jan 4, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.