Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Old Jan 3, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: DL: DM UA: 1K
MQD Waiver with Foreign Address and Credit Card

Hi,

I have address in Japan and US. Since I registered my Japanese address in Delta's profile, I have MQD Waiver. If I apply Delta Reserve Credit Card using my US address, what would happen? Will I lose MQD Waiver with foreign address? Anyone has experience?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kazuyuki330 View Post
Hi,

I have address in Japan and US. Since I registered my Japanese address in Delta's profile, I have MQD Waiver. If I apply Delta Reserve Credit Card using my US address, what would happen? Will I lose MQD Waiver with foreign address? Anyone has experience?

Thanks!
It has zero bearing. All that matters is the address you have on file with DL for mail. People can get credit in different countries nothing unusual there.
Old Jan 3, 19, 9:52 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
You may already know this, but there is a DL branded Visa for Japan residents. You may want to look into that as well.
Old Jan 3, 19, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
I have the DL Reserve with a US billing address, but switched my address on file with Delta to my UK home address when I moved here a year ago. No issues - MQMs and RDMs post normally and I still have the MQD waiver.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:10 pm

Yes, and I already have Delta AMEX Gold for resident in Japan.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber View Post
I have the DL Reserve with a US billing address, but switched my address on file with Delta to my UK home address when I moved here a year ago. No issues - MQMs and RDMs post normally and I still have the MQD waiver.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I will apply for Delta Reserve Credit Card.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
On a related note, I had a US based Delta AMEX before moving my address to overseas.
I kept the card and I occasionally charge small amounts to it.
Never got any mileage credit after the address move.
On a single occasion I had a few 10's of miles credited, only to see it reversed a few days later. Rather strange, since the reversal came in the form of three different negative mileage that almost add to the credited total, but not quite.
For the record, the purchase originating the credit was for wifi on board a Delta flight.
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
On a related note, I had a US based Delta AMEX before moving my address to overseas.
I kept the card and I occasionally charge small amounts to it.
Never got any mileage credit after the address move.
On a single occasion I had a few 10's of miles credited, only to see it reversed a few days later. Rather strange, since the reversal came in the form of three different negative mileage that almost add to the credited total, but not quite.
For the record, the purchase originating the credit was for wifi on board a Delta flight.
Really!? Is Delta verifying that the registered address in Delta and AMEX are same? If the mileage never get credited, there is no reason to get US based Delta AMEX. Does anyone have the experience related to this?
Old Jan 4, 19, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it possible that your DL AmEx credit card has a provision giving miles only to USA addresses or USA residents?
Old Jan 10, 19, 10:03 am

I'm still not sure if I should get Delta Reserve Credit Card.
If I can keep MQD Waiver and get miles credited when using the Delta Reserve Credit Card, I will definitely apply for it.
Does anyone have clear answer?
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:23 am
Original Member

Hello all
Does anyone have an update on this? Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 19, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by kazuyuki330 View Post
I'm still not sure if I should get Delta Reserve Credit Card.
If I can keep MQD Waiver and get miles credited when using the Delta Reserve Credit Card, I will definitely apply for it.
Does anyone have clear answer?
I have the DL Platinum card with a U.S. address, while my SkyMiles account has maintained my Philippine address since day 1. You'll get the miles credited with no issue, especially if you're signing up for the mileage bonuses (which credited to my account with no problem!).

That said, the U.S. address is indicated in my profile, but as a secondary address.
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:01 pm

Does it matter when I change my address, as far as when I qualify? I.E.: should I change it before or after I qualify for status (without the spend requirement)?

I.E.: should I change it at 49,000 miles or 51,000 miles?

Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Changes to address dont do anything till you hit a qualifying MQM/MQS mark. When you hit that mark the system checks to see if you have enough MQD or are exempt. Put simply if you have 50k MQM already but insufficient MQD to be GM, changing your address wont matter till you hit 75k MQM. You wont become instant GM upon changing your address.
Old Jul 25, 19, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Changes to address dont do anything till you hit a qualifying MQM/MQS mark. When you hit that mark the system checks to see if you have enough MQD or are exempt. Put simply if you have 50k MQM already but insufficient MQD to be GM, changing your address wont matter till you hit 75k MQM. You wont become instant GM upon changing your address.
Perfect, this is the information I was looking for thank you! If I waited until I was sitting at 125k MQM, would it would be a total write-off?

Thanks!

Search this Thread