FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New American or Delta, that is the question. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1438463-new-american-delta-question.html)

ElCid79 Feb 14, 2013 5:49 am

New American or Delta, that is the question.

Opinions needed!!
I am avery frequent traveler on USAir. 195 legs last year based in CLT. Moving to CHS and wondering whether to stick it out with new American or jump ship to Delta with a status match. Thoughts?

Thank you!

a7m Feb 14, 2013 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ElCid79 (Post 20245415)
Opinions needed!!
I am avery frequent traveler on USAir. 195 legs last year based in CLT. Moving to CHS and wondering whether to stick it out with new American or jump ship to Delta with a status match. Thoughts?

Two things to consider:

1) Are you fine with Delta's new hybrid system of elite qualification? You have to spend a certain amount of money on Delta flights (not alliance flights!) each year to qualify for an elite status. So if you think you will be flying only Delta, you should be fine. Just do not count for SkyTeam alliance flights to count for much.
2) Delta skymiles are MUCH less valuable than AA miles. And you have much more flexibility with AA miles. I'd say, 2 Delta miles equal 1 AA mile.

Crazyhotelguy Feb 14, 2013 6:18 am

I have debated this, but given US'S merger history, I am sitting any move out until this is.closer to completion.

MSPeconomist Feb 14, 2013 6:24 am

It's hard to answer without knowing what the OP wants from a FF program. Premium cabin international award tickets? Upgrades on domestic? International upgrades?

Remember that DL tends normally to offer status challenges, not matches, and only to PM.

lrbenko Feb 14, 2013 6:39 am

New American or Delta, that is the question.

Welcome to CHS! I have found that it takes effort to stay with Delta in CHS. This is usually due to Delta fares being on average higher than US Air. I split my time between the two because of this.
And Delta cut the late night flight to CHS so the latest lands around 9pm. This can be difficult for business meetings if you're connecting from anywhere else in ATL to CHS. Basically late afternoon meetings are difficult at best.

mfdii Feb 14, 2013 8:17 am

I used to fly AA when I did a lot of flying to Chicago. They had the most frequent service out of CMH. But when my flying expanded to cover the east coast more, they really weren't a viable option for me.

The US/AA merger will cause me to reevaluate my Delta loyalty. My new company is based in Dallas, and since AA will have an "improved" East Coast presence, they might be viable for me.

However, I have yet to have a positive experience with any US Air employee, and the merger won't change the employees magically because they have new AA uniforms. As history is shown, the employees might actually get worse. Philly is a sh*thole of an airport, and I've never found PHX or CLT much better.

Maybe I should just get the Delta Private Jet Card? I hear it comes with 25,000 bonus miles.

dilbertsdaddy Feb 14, 2013 5:10 pm

Q. The only thing worse than AA?

A. US Air

Between the old airplanes, nasty unions, and Dougie Parker, this should be a real hootenanny!

Burj Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy (Post 20249864)

A. US Air

Between the old airplanes, nasty unions, and Dougie Parker, this should be a real hootenanny!

I just flew to Europe on USAirways and I have to say that their current reputation is not completely accurate.

In fact I would say the flew crews I have on all flights are just as good (if not better) than I've experienced on Delta....

Discussing the merger with them and many of them really seemed EAGER for the merger...this bodes well for making this merger go smoother than USAir and AmericaWest did...

Sez_Who Feb 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk ElCid79! ^

Nice thing about CHS is having some options. While DL won't match you to Diamond, you can get a jump start with Plat and work your way up by the end of the year.

If you are okay being a CP with US, stick around with it for a while. The "new American" as you call it is still years away. Meanwhile, enjoy *A for a bit longer and prepare for the upcoming chAAnges. As all airline CEO's tell us, you're gonna love the changes. ;)

ssk1127 Feb 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 20250066)
If you are okay being a CP with US, stick around with it for a while. The "new American" as you call it is still years away. Meanwhile, enjoy *A for a bit longer and prepare for the upcoming chAAnges.

I agree with this one. If you're not unhappy, don't move yet. Wait and see how the merger goes when it actually happens. That said, don't choose based on the FF program - do it based on the travel experience. The level of service, helpfulness of people, ease of travel, timeliness, etc. are much more important than whether an award ticket is available more easily. Save your status match until you see how it all shakes out.

elkapong Feb 14, 2013 8:06 pm

I think it is way too early to tell what the "New American" is going to look like. I avoid US like the plague though.

Pi7473000 Feb 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Def the new American! Delta has the worst mileage program in the United States, old planes, and no three class international flights. The American hubs are in much bigger and better cities as well!

mfdii Feb 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Burj (Post 20249940)
I just flew to Europe on USAirways and I have to say that their current reputation is not completely accurate.

In fact I would say the flew crews I have on all flights are just as good (if not better) than I've experienced on Delta....

I generally have never had a problem with the US flight crews, it has always been the gate crews unwillingness to even talk to a passenger, let alone help them with a problem, or if they will engage you, it is rare they will do it without massive amounts of attitude.

HDQDD Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Ultimately, it's up to what you want out of a carrier. I like connecting in ATL because it's convenient, and there's flights to just about everywhere, every hour (or so). Plus their handful of Non-stops from where I live (RDU) also suits me well.

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy (Post 20249864)

A. US Air

Haha, I would argue it's the other way around, but either way a combination of two bad airlines isn't going to make a good one.

adamj023 Feb 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Opinions needed!!

Thank you!

USAirways and the new AA will control CLT. As far as CHS goes, CHS is route dependent. Even B6 is adding services to destinations there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles...tional_Airport